What's new

Above the Tie Razor Designs

G'day guys, im a newbie to DE Razors and wet shaving - u can see my shave diary in the shave clinic / check in sub forum.

Ive just received a new 2013 Titan R1 from Phil and BullGoose and i had a few questions i thought run passed you fellow ATT razor users.

The head and baseplate on my razor are not the same width, the head overhangs the baseplate on the sides. The baseplate is 1.620" / 41.15mm wide. The top plate / head is 1.632" / 41.46mm. Its not out by much but id have thought they would be identical?

The blade locating pins in the top plate are 0.080" / 2.05mm dia. And the holes in the baseplate are 0.0885" / 2.25mm dia.

I just wanted to double check this is all normal, as there is enough room for movement there that i can tighten the head and have the razor blade misaligned on each side. Sorry for the newbie questions but i just wanted to double check everything is normal and you guys just carefully position the head and baseplate when doing up the handle so the blade is centered and evenly exposed on each side? Having never used one before or held any other de razor im not sure to what level of accuracy people install their blades etc...

Finally, i was wondering about cleaning the razor. Is there anything in particular you guys do to keep these beautiful razors looking like new?

Travis.

Travis:

I've got an Atlast H1, the close sibling of the Titan R1. The fit of my razor is perfect. When tightened, the blade does not move and as long as it's sitting correctly on the pins, it's never misaligned.

I don't have the tools, or frankly, the mechanical aptitude to measure my razor as accurately as you did. But from your description, it sounds like yours may have a manufacturing problem.

Since Stan can only post in this forum once per day, I'd recommend that you PM him directly to get his take on what's up with your razor. Stan's customer service is second to none. If something is wrong, he'll make it right.

Nick

Hi Nick, thanks for the reply its greatly appreciated.

Sorry i wasnt really clear with regards to what i meant by the blade can be misaligned. Just to be clearer ill try and explain it better and if you could check your razor or anyone else with an ATT razor could confirm the same then that will put my mind at ease.

The razor blade locating pins on the head of the razor, they are a fixed size as they must fit between the cutouts in the razor blade so i have no doubt my locating pins are the correct size. When i position a razor blade into the head it fits perfectly between the center threaded bolt and the two locating pins with basically zero play.

It is however the baseplate that i question. When you put the head and the baseplate together the holes in the baseplate are larger then the locating pins by enough, that i could then screw the handle to assemble the whole razor and the head will end up crooked unless i fiddle around and make sure it is dead even on each side. I use the scollops on each side as a guide when doing this and i believe i get it centered but i wondered if this is what everyone does or if their razors tolerances are tighter and there is no movement or a lot less movement then i see is possible with mine.

Im a perfectionist to the point its almost unhealthy lol. Id like to know if im onto something here or if im just expecting too much.

I just took some photos as to be clear. I meant to show just the ability to misalign the razor but you can also see what im talking about with the head itself also being wider then the body.

First photo, ive carefully tried to align the head and baseplate so the razor blade ends up centered. (Also note the head being wider then the baseplate).

proxy.php

Second photo, ive just done up the razor with no care in aligning the head and baseplate. As i tighten the handle the tolerances in the locating pin holes allows this to happen.

proxy.php

Any help would again be greatly appreciated.

Travis.

Alpine bully, I am a perfectionist as well, and I can tell you that both of my ATT razors do what you have explained. There is always a perfect alignment, and a little play between base and head. I make a habit of holding the base and head at the sides to naturally align the blade as I tighten it.

I think you may be being too picky (like I am a lot).

Also, my head and base are the same widths as well. I didn't notice until you brought it up.

Alpinebully,
I've got the Titan with both the M1 and R1 plates. Both plates measure pretty much the same as yours....1.625". The cap measures 1.631". The pins are 0.083" and the locator holes are 0.09". Actually, I've never noticed that the cap is slightly bigger than the plate until I saw this thread. Nor have I noticed any alignment issues. The razor is a beautiful tool and has worked flawlessly for me. Like most of us here in the asylum, myself included, we tend to overly analyze/obsess over the smallest things instead of just enjoying our hobby. Ever read a discussion about the lather properties of MWF soap? I rest my case.

Forget about measuring the razor, just slap your favorite blade in that baby, lather up, and enjoy the shave! You'll be glad you did.

Thanks for the replies guys. I cannot thank you enough.

Your absolutely right Ron, its a bloody illness. In my case measuring is done in hope that ill find there to be no discrepancy and that my eyes are wrong. Sadly its never the case.

Haha, no sorry i havent seen the thread about lather properties of a soap :) Sounds like fun, but i wont go there!! After all im a noob who bowl lathers creams, perhaps if / when i get to soaps ill visit the thread lol.

As a matter of fact ive just finished my morning shave with the Titan, it really is a joy to use.

Thanks again guys,
Kind regards
Travis.

Its pretty close, im sure not many people would notice it. Its 0.31mm overall, thats 0.155mm per side.

I tried telling myself its designed that way so its easier to remove from the base... But if a blade is installed then that idea is void, the sides of the blade protrude much more and that is what i grasp when disassembling the razor to clean.

Further polishing, or the amount of polishing would be the variable between them all id say. Machine marks can still be seen in varying degrees on most parts of the razor except for the top of the cap. Mind you i wouldnt take 0.155mm off just by polishing it.

Id say they are hand linished and polished hence the slightly uneven radius's which you can also see in the photographs above. All in all i think these razors are very good value and the best design on the market, and to make them 'perfect' could easily double the production cost IMO

I dare say ill own another before long :)

Travis.

Last edited:
Alpine bully, I am a perfectionist as well, and I can tell you that both of my ATT razors do what you have explained. There is always a perfect alignment, and a little play between base and head. I make a habit of holding the base and head at the sides to naturally align the blade as I tighten it.

Now that you guys point it out, I guess there is a tiny amount of play between the base and the head. Perhaps the blade isn't absolutely, perfectly straight along the scallops of the base plate, but I don't think it affects the shave quality at all. My Atlas still gives me the closest, most comfortable shave of any razor I've tried. And man, does it sing: no other razor makes quite the same sound as it mows down my whiskers.

OCD issues aside, as long as you are getting a good shave from your ATT razor, I wouldn't worry about any minor differences in the measurements. The shave quality is what counts. That, and how handsome the thing is.

Nick

Top Bottom