What's new

Above The Tie Calypso R1 review

For the last 5 years or so I've happily stuck with the following devices;

Muhle R89 - daily shaver
Muhle R41 & Feather Artist SS - weekly shaver

The R89 broke so whilst catching up on 5 years worth of razors, I bought a an Above The Tie Calypso R1 and got to test it out last night so here's my 2p worth.

Cost £97.00 from the executive shaving company.
Class : mid-aggressive

proxy.php

Its well packaged and clearly well designed. The blade alignment is spot on and very light. The handle offers plenty of grip with wet hands whilst feeling smoth and comfortable rather than coarse. The head is slim which is great for getting under the nose and or other tight areas without hassle. The ligh weight makes it feel like a fighter jet compared to my other DE razors in terms of manouverability.

For the shave I used Astra blades as I have downgraded to these over the last month from Feathers (Amazon UK has stopped selling the 100pk father blades).

The razor is very audible in good way but feels and shave's like a mild shaver with the audio of a more agressive shaver. I have had a better first pass with a Parker R91 so, performance of the first pass was below my expectations.

On the second pass, it delivered the results meaning a 3rd pass was not required on the face and only under the chin as with all other unit excluding the R41.

I would class this at the top end of mild shavers, that is easy to handle, has a great finish and should suit a large number of people as a daily shaver. If you want something in between a mild shaver and an R41 then this ATT Calypso R1 is not it.

Also i forgot to mention that i went for this as the aggressive RR game changer is not available in the UK.

Top Bottom