What's new

About to take the plunge...

I thought about just posting a WTB in the B/S/T, but thought I'd get some input from the experts in here first.

Like many, I've been using a DE for a while, love the shave (generally do a WTG and 2x XTG)...hands down better than any mass-marketed cartridge system. So, reading up on straights, I have the specs of what I'm looking for...but not the actual razor. While I don't need a 100% match, any suggestions on a straight that fits the bill?
  • 6/8, give or take
  • Full Hollow / Extra-Hollow
  • Stainless Steel
  • French Point / Spanish Point (anything but a typical round point really)
  • NOT a Dovo or TI ... guess I want something somewhat unique
  • Vintage, New, or NOS....don't care
  • Scales not too intricate (e.g. not MOP), but also something nicer than plastic. Perhaps bone, horn, or even wood?
  • $150 - $200 fully honed and shave ready

I know I can get picky, but I'm not ready to drop money on a custom (yet). So I don't need to have everything...just something hopefully close that I can use as a regular shaver.

Thanks!
-JC

[*] $150 - $200 fully honed and shave ready
[/LIST]

I know I can get picky, but I'm not ready to drop money on a custom (yet). So I don't need to have everything...just something hopefully close that I can use as a regular shaver.

Thanks!
-JC
Most razors from big retailers go out not-shave ready. You've got to buy your str8 at the b/s/t or at classicshaving.com (these str8s are named PRESHARPENED) if you want em to be shave-ready out of the box.

OR you could buy a razor and send it out to be honed. That way any razor becomes sort of shave ready.

BST is definitely my preferred place for that reason and also the reputation of it's members. I'm hoping this post or my eventual WTB post will generate some potential options.

I don't know why you have a thumbsdown but OK.. :001_huh:

For your price range, you could get a very nice vintage razor and get someone to hone it and/or replace the scales for something nicer.

Watch for Traveller he has some really nice stuff going on sale in about week, so watch the B/S/T. Actually, you can look at what he has right now in the B/S/T.

Yep...the strop is additional, the price range above is just for the razor itself.

TstebinsB: I thought it was a question mark...whoops. Fixed it!

Just remember that stropping is perhaps the most important aspect of straight razor shaving. Without good stropping you will not get a good shave. Forget honing for now, someone else can do that for you, and it only needs to be done a couple of times a year max. anyway, but only you can do the stropping. Do it before you shave (for some reason it seems to give the best effect then).

Seattle,

I'd be happy to make some suggestions, but unfortunately what I would be inclined to recommend doesn't fit within your restrictions.

Ah well, happy shaving.:wink:

Well if you want stainless and not TI and Dovo that excludes all new razors except custom ones. There are a few new razors made by Wacker and I think henckels but I don't think the Wackers are stainless and the henckels are hard to find. There are not a huge number of vintage stainless razors floating around and if you want a french point or some other type it will be almost impossible to get what you want. You are pretty much going to have to buy custom. Check out Livi and Joe Chandler and Williams and Bill Ellis.

Yeah...I've started to realize that if it's not a Henckels, it'll have to be non-stainless. I might have to scratch that from the list...no biggie.

I thought about just posting a WTB in the B/S/T, but thought I'd get some input from the experts in here first.

Like many, I've been using a DE for a while, love the shave (generally do a WTG and 2x XTG)...hands down better than any mass-marketed cartridge system. So, reading up on straights, I have the specs of what I'm looking for...but not the actual razor. While I don't need a 100% match, any suggestions on a straight that fits the bill?
  • 6/8, give or take
  • Full Hollow / Extra-Hollow
  • Stainless Steel
  • French Point / Spanish Point (anything but a typical round point really)
  • NOT a Dovo or TI ... guess I want something somewhat unique
  • Vintage, New, or NOS....don't care
  • Scales not too intricate (e.g. not MOP), but also something nicer than plastic. Perhaps bone, horn, or even wood?
  • $150 - $200 fully honed and shave ready

Thanks!
-JC

Try this

For your price range, there are no regularly available non-roundpoint stainless razors available.

For roundpoints your options increase, and pricepoint decreases (rasurpur stainless are available, but are all roundpoint...)

BTW, the Dovo stainless razors are excellent, excellent shavers. If you wan't unique, you will either have to pay through the nose for a unique brand, or get a Dovo rescaled I'd say...

Thanks for everyone's input. I was able to settle on a Friodur stainless with a Spanish point from a B&B member. Just has the basic scales, but figured those can always be upgraded down the line.

Oh...and I also purchased an "apprentice strop" from Tony Miller to start out on.

Let the blood loss begin :)
-JC

-JC

Top Bottom