What's new

ABC Pocket Edition - Engraved Cap

I posted in the Acquisitions thread, but I guess maybe this warrants a thread of its own after getting some good info from @romsitsa on there, and trying to do more research.

Shown is an uncased ABC Scroll razor I won at auction recently in a large razor lot. I knew it was an ABC Scroll when buying, but had no idea about the cap until I received it. I knew the engraving was special and uncommon, but didn't really have a proper understanding until Adam's comment. I've been searching our forums and the rest of the web looking for more information, but not finding much.

1. Do we have a real grasp on how many engraved cap ABCs are out there? All my perusing has only garnered a couple examples - one of which is a 1909 shown by @mr-razor on his site.
2. I've yet to do any cleaning, but will be interested to see what is left of a serial number on the baseplate. I can just faintly see a couple numbers through the rust.
3. Are these essentially the rarest ABC-type of razor then? Is there any reason to assume they were ever put to market, or were they more likely test pieces, or company gifts, or...?

Thanks all

Eric

IMG_20200221_102859a.jpg

IMG_20200221_102910a.jpg

IMG_20200221_103056a.jpg

R

romsitsa

Hello,

1. Afaik we don't even know how many ABCs were produced in total over the years.
2. The serial will be there except the punch was faded, this seemingly happened quite often.
3. The rarest variant should be the personalised caps, then the Made in USA stamped combs then the diamond stamped cap. Imho the diamond stamped cap is the best known rare variant, so it's a bit more "hyped" (it's pretty good looking, although I'd have left out the known the world over part). Basically it's an early attempt to mark razors as made by Gillette, like the KCG script combs or Gillette stamped handles on Single rings.
The diamond stamped caps went onto the market, at least two popped up here in Hungary.

Adam

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I grabbed one out of Canada last year, but I dont know how many were produced. The American Button Company and Gillette did all sorts of different things with their Pocket Editions.
20200126_162810.jpg

I too have an ABC Scroll razor. Mine is silver plated and the serial # says it's a 1909 model. Is yours silver? I didn't think silver was prone to rusting. How can that be?

I spend 5 minutes once or twice a year rubbing it with silver polish, and the result is astonishing. Very "white." Very beautiful.

The one thing I don't like about the razor is the teeth are somewhat "pointed" and uncomfortable on my face. Otherwise it shaves like a Gillette Old Type. The engraved handle is beautiful. Mine does not have any engraving on the cap.

R

romsitsa

All pocket sets came in either gold (triple plated not the later "wash") or silver. Sets made by the America Button Company have ornated handles, veste type blade cases and the patents listed on the back of the case. Gillette pocket sets usually have the common ball end razor, smooth blade box and a smooth case bottom.

Adam

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
That’s ONE BEAUTIFUL SET!! Congratulations!! :a29: :a29:
Mine also does not have any stamping on the cap. It is gold washed, not silver. Does the plating have anything to do with whether it was made for ABC or Gillette? @KeenDogg, your set is gorgeous! Congratulations @MidwestZest on your score!

Thanks very much. I owe a bit to a guy with a great first name who made sure the razor went with the case.😉

All pocket sets came in either gold (triple plated not the later "wash") or silver. Sets made by the America Button Company have ornated handles, veste type blade cases and the patents listed on the back of the case. Gillette pocket sets usually have the common ball end razor, smooth blade box and a smooth case bottom.

Adam
Thank you Adam. Mine is a scroll handled gold set with the patents on the back of the case. It also has the Gillette patch on the inside of the case. I know mine is American Button Company. I was wondering if perhaps being silver or gold sheds any light as to its origin or if silver & gold were both made by ABC & Gillette.

I too have an ABC Scroll razor. Mine is silver plated and the serial # says it's a 1909 model. Is yours silver? I didn't think silver was prone to rusting. How can that be?

It definitely started life as a gold plate - I've yet to bathe and scrub to see what all is left. My guess is that a carbon steel blade was left in it for a long period of time in the least ideal of conditions. It really looks like it's spent some time around moisture.

Top Bottom