What's new

A Simple Gem Razor Hack?

I recently caught this 3 year old vid on YouTube and it caught my interest.

As you can see he's using a Gem Junior razor, but he's not using a Gem single edge blade. He took a double edge blade and cut the ends off, the wings, and it fits perfectly in the Gem razor. Super simple and he claims it gives a much better shave. If nothing else, there are certainly more choices in the DE blade world than in the SE world.

Has anyone tried this? I think I'll give it a go for my next shave tomorrow.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I recently caught this 3 year old vid on YouTube and it caught my interest.

As you can see he's using a Gem Junior razor, but he's not using a Gem single edge blade. He took a double edge blade and cut the ends off, the wings, and it fits perfectly in the Gem razor. Super simple and he claims it gives a much better shave. If nothing else, there are certainly more choices in the DE blade world than in the SE world.

Has anyone tried this? I think I'll give it a go for my next shave tomorrow.

Thanks for the info -- I've never tried it. TBH, one of the reasons I migrate more towards SE than DE is I tend to like the rigidity/thickness of the SE blades. But I always open to hearing about what others are trying....keep us posted.

Thanks for the info -- I've never tried it. TBH, one of the reasons I migrate more towards SE than DE is I tend to like the rigidity/thickness of the SE blades. But I always open to hearing about what others are trying....keep us posted.

I certainly will.

I did just cut a DE blade and it does fit perfectly! Blade exposure looks to be exactly the same to. I wonder if Gem had any idea this was possible when they manufactured their razors?

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I certainly will.

I did just cut a DE blade and it does fit perfectly! Blade exposure looks to be exactly the same to. I wonder if Gem had any idea this was possible when they manufactured their razors?
Subie usually uses 2 blades when he shaves, I have not watched that video. Subie is one the best blade hacks I have come across any where. I found 1 blade to flimsy when experimenting and can bite, I would try a Subie stack of 2 blades like he uses(he is a daring person some times but that is the way he likes to shave).

Subie usually uses 2 blades when he shaves, I have not watched that video. Subie is one the best blade hacks I have come across any where. I found 1 blade to flimsy when experimenting and can bite, I would try a Subie stack of 2 blades like he uses(he is a daring person some times but that is the way he likes to shave).

Yes, when I first put the DE razor into the head of the Gem and clamped it down, I noticed it was a little flimsy, not truly straight. But I played around with it a bit, and now it looks straight and strong.

We'll see come shave time!😳

I just discovered Subie. He's good!👍

Well, I did it. I used a DE blade in my Gem 1912 and it was quite a good shave!

I think it was at least equal and maybe a bit better than the Gem SE blade. I used a Treet blade, which is somewhere in the middle of the sharp range and it was really comfortable. 2 passes and some touch up and I was satisfied. I moved quickly and never felt threatened by the blade. It wasn't overly aggressive. Being much thinner, I do think I felt some flex compared to the Gem SE, but it wasn't anything disconcerting and it didn't affect the shave that I could tell. Maybe it could be more efficient, but that's the only knock I can see.

So this gives a lot of possibilities because there are a lot more DE blades out there than SE ones. With a little experimentation, the possibilities of a great shave can be had.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I wonder if Gem had any idea this was possible when they manufactured their razors?

Well, for a time Gem made a blade with two edges, intended to be used in their regular Gem razors. Idea was it had two edges, so once one was dull it could be flipped around and the other edge used. Good idea, perhaps, but it didn't survive in the marketplace.

Now that the overwhelming use of Gem blades is to prepare medical supplies and to provide replaceable edges in microtomes, we'll never see a Gem blade with two edges again. All the machinery is built around the current form factor.

Good to know! An interesting experiment.

O.H.

Well, for a time Gem made a blade with two edges, intended to be used in their regular Gem razors. Idea was it had two edges, so once one was dull it could be flipped around and the other edge used. Good idea, perhaps, but it didn't survive in the marketplace.

Now that the overwhelming use of Gem blades is to prepare medical supplies and to provide replaceable edges in microtomes, we'll never see a Gem blade with two edges again. All the machinery is built around the current form factor.

Good to know! An interesting experiment.

O.H.
I had no idea Gem ever was into DE blades. So maybe they actually did make their razors so they can take a DE blade.

That's good to know as well!

I still haven’t tried my GEM. I finally tried my Schick injector this week.

Maybe I will try this. GEM blades are much thicker than DE blades, right?

Of interest ? ....... for what is worth? :D

1-1~2.jpg
1-2~2.jpg
1-3~2.jpg
1-4~2.jpg

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
Glad some people think this method works better than expected.
This ultimately expands our choices.

When I saw this video for the first time, I realized that he didn't scream as often in the previous videos as he does now.

Glad some people think this method works better than expected.
This ultimately expands our choices.
Gem razors are kind of a one trick pony because of the lack of blade choice. You either like it or you don't. I think this hack can open up the possibilities and make it more usable to more shavers.

Came across this post on B&B yesterday about using a modified SHADE (kind of) in a GEM Jr.
So in the name of Science I felt obliged to attempt it. It actually worked beautifully.
The real question we need to ask is just because you can - why should you? LOL

GEM Junior - Black Handle
SHADE - Feather Hi-Stainless (Modified)
Proraso Blue Shave Cream
Ever-Ready H40 Vintage Boar Brush
Apex Alchemy Splash Mix
Pinaud Citrus Musk Aftershave

IMG_0571-compressed.jpeg

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
So, you put a shim under the DE blade? I'm guessing it's a GEM SE blade that was shorten a bit so you don't get 2 edges if you do?

So, you put a shim under the DE blade? I'm guessing it's a GEM SE blade that was shorten a bit so you don't get 2 edges if you do?
Nope - just cut the end tabs off the entire DE blade. Left just a hair to hold it together. Fiddled it in so it bridged both blade stops and clamped the top down. Made sure the blade was secure and didn't move back. So I sacrificed the other sharp end. But when I was shaving with DE's I was always a once and done type of blade man. Have so many it just made sense to chuck em.

It was not as rigid as a GEM blade but it didn't seem to matter. Shaved wonderfully. You could do anything you wanted - long strokes, buffing, AGT.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I might check it eventually.

On a side note, I was able to use Feathers FHS-10 (without any modifications or usage of scissors, installed directly in) in a Gem Push Button. I forgot the other razor that I tried it in, maybe a Gem G-Bar? I saw a thread about it that seems to confirm this.

I would normally use the FHS-10 in a valet but I don't think they fit all the Valet versions. Plus, I found the valet very aggressive lately so I stopped using it.

I know this is not about the FHS-10 blades, but it could be an alternative as the FHS-10 is normally used with a valet-type razor. The FHS-10 is not cheap compared to the more common GEM SE blade (with a spine). I have a few tucks so I might need to compare what works with the FHS-10 and a DE blade.

I believe the GEM PushButton is holding the blade using the cap (since the FHS-10 doesn't have a spine).

Top Bottom