What's new

A Request for the Ladies

One the main reasons men where cologne is to garner attention from women. So a woman's thoughts on a cologne holds a great deal of weight. I was hoping some of the lades here would write some reviews of men's cologne or at least tell us which one's you like and which ones you don't.

Also, since so many of us spend our freetime coping with SBAD, RAD and SCAD which isn't exactly the hippest hobby, we need all the help we can get. :smile: I think we, the guys, should also review some women's perfume because, we can be just as particular about perfume fragrances.

Another thing guys, ask your wives/girlfriends if they can review some of your fragrances. Those opinions mean so much.

So Ladies, what do you think; Can you gals spare the time to help out the Bumbling B&B Boys?

My wife is pretty picky about scents. My personal favorite that I always keep well stocked on is C&S No 88... She on the other hand hates it... Well, I take that back... The FIRST time she smelled it she said I smelled like a woman.... The next couple of times she said she didn't like it, and since then she says, "It's okay, not bad, etc" She's getting used to it I guess...

On the other hand, Creed Green Irish Tweed is one of her absolute favorites. She loves the days I wear it and tells me how fantastic I smell. Interestingly enough, it's also the one I receive the most "blind" compliments on. (I.e. people just out of the blue telling me I smell good, or ask me what cologne I'm wearing, etc...) The only other scent I wear that seems to get a big "blind compliments" response is Creed Original Santal... The wifey also likes that one a LOT... Not as much as the GIT, but a close second anyway...

Next would probably be the Creed Himalaya... (following a pattern here?) She really likes that one, though it's rare I get comments about it....

Penhaligon's LP#9 would follow that one, though I've never received a single comment about it from anyone other then her...

Next on her list would be Nino Cerruti Pour Homme, C&S Cuba, Penhaligon's Endyimon, Penhaligon's Opus 1870, Mary Kay Domain, Davidoff Cool Water, CK Eternity, Tommy Hilfiger Tommy Boy...

Now as far as one's she says she REALLY hates.... L'Artisan Vetiver (says it smells like her grandmother, and not in a good way), L'Artisan Tea for Two, Knize Ten, Storer Aromatics Monk, and (go figure) the B&B Cologne, (she really hates that stuff).

Again, the No 88 is growing on her, but originally she didn't like it at all either. Interestingly enough, for as "different" a scent as it is, it's very rare I have someone ask about it.

Great question.
Ladies?

On ladies, to be honest I'm not great at picking out the scents...(there is one that drives me nuts when I smell it on a lady, for instance, and I don't know what it is called, but recognize the smell)
Some I like: Cool Water Woman, Victoria's secret Dream Angel, Victoria's secret VerySexy(for her), unfortunately not well versed in high quality womens perfumes, although I might recognize them if I smelled them.

As far as my own experience,
EdT/Colognes/etc I got positive compliments on:(blind)

MaryKay Domain ("Oh G__ you smell good!" from several girls in a club)
Penhaligon Endymion
Safari men (I wore the aftershave, not the cologne...GF at the time liked it)
T&H Spanish Leather (again, the aftershave-never smelled the cologne)
Clinique Happy
SCS "New Spice"
Victoria's Secret "Very Sexy For Him2"
L'Occitane Vetyver
AOS Sandalwood
Nautica (various versions, but don't have any anymore)

Lena's favorites (currently. She mostly resides in the "don't care" section, so when I find one she actually LIKES, I feel like I've hit some sort of Jackpot)

Penhaligon Endymion
Penhaligon English Fern(sample's out, time to buy some, I guess...)
Victoria's Secret "VerySexy for Him2"
Trumper Sandalwood (just got this one, thanks...)
Axe "Lab" ($20 "drug store" cologne from WalMart)
Woods of Windsor (surprised me she liked it)
Aramis life
AOS Sandalwood

Lena doesn't like but I do:

B&B (she says it smells like BenGay to her....she likes it ok on the dry down though) Gonna give it a break for the scents to blend...
Pinaud Clubman (She HATES this one)
Pinaud Bay Rum(This one too)
Burt's Bees Bay Rum (I am starting to think she just doesn't like bay rum)
4711 (says it smells ok, but makes her think of old men)
C&E Sandalwood(Claims she isn't a sandalwood person, but doesn't mind this one....I think it is growing on her though)

Neither of us like:
Anything from Creed. I've tried wearing quite a few of them (Neiman Marcus cologne counter is very generous in letting one sample these) and they always end up drying down "girly", sortof powder soft. Not a manly smell on me.
Caswell-Massey Sandalwood-(YECHH)

Bang-for-the buck favorites

MaryKay Domain. I thought it smelled like dish detergent, but apparently, to women this is like some sort of magic elixir. I've gotten complements on other stuff, but this one, especially considering how affordable it is, is simply amazing.
Old Spice. Very affordable, and is a love-hate thing with girls I've met. They either LOVE it, or they hate it. There is no in between.
SCS New Spice. Smells (to me) almost identical to Thierry Mugler Angel Men, but I've gotten plenty of compliments on the new spice, nothing so far for the angel men.
Clinique Happy. I so want to hate this fruity smelling stuff...but can't.

These are only my experiences. It will be very interesting to see what the women vouch for on here.

John P.

Also, remember that a same cologne will smell differently on different people. It's because of the skin chemistry and oil content that makes a fragrance on a person unique. The natural smell of each person interacts differently with the fragrance too.

So just cause it smells good on you, doesn't mean it'll smell nice on your friend.

And to make things a little more complicated, opinions will vary if you ask a few people what they think of such cologne on you.

I couldn't write a cologne review to save my life (uh-oh, I hear helicopters!). :biggrin:

As for which ones I like and which ones I don't. I like the ones my husband wears, :001_tt1: and I don't like what any other guys wear.

I apologize if I'm being too flippant. Like someone else said, different body chemistry is a factor in likes/dislikes of colognes. I don't have as much experience with high end men's cologne as the Bumbling B&B Boys do, or Basenotes for that matter.

As for myself and my husband, we aren't going to invest large amounts of money for edt we haven't even smelled on each other.

Sorry, I can't offer you any help. :001_unsur

S

Sam

My wife loves Green Irish Tweed and Millisime Imperial from Creed on me. I get more compliments from those two colognes than anything else

Sam

I think one of the more expensive colognes I've bought were a total flop. Armani Aqua Di Gio, about 10 years ago perhaps(?) I thought it smelled great, bought some...and it just didn't work for me.
I've also had girls hang on me when I wore Old Spice, Stetson, or a number of the other "drug store" smells.
I think there is simply no rhyme or reason to it.
John P.

Top Bottom