What's new

A New Player in the Brush Biz - Vintage Blades Brand

Just curious, but what is your reference brush that was just blown away?

Thanks.

SEnSE. I just edited my comments to removed the hyperbole and provided a more detailed comparison. I answered your question in my edited post. I was too excited about my new brush this morning, and should have provided a more thoughtful comment rather than trashing my existing brush. My apologies.

Josh

Well, I just orded the 22mm in Ivory. Hope it gets here soon and lives up to the rep! My only other badger brush is a VDH which I find a bit scritchy. I love my Omega 49 and maybe this brush will be on par with that. I'll post my thoughts when I get it.

I think you're going to be thrilled. Let us know your impressions!

SEnSE. I just edited my comments to removed the hyperbole and provided a more detailed comparison. I answered your question in my edited post. I was too excited about my new brush this morning, and should have provided a more thoughtful comment rather than trashing my existing brush. My apologies.

Josh

Thank you! :biggrin1:

Well, I just orded the 22mm in Ivory. Hope it gets here soon and lives up to the rep! My only other badger brush is a VDH which I find a bit scritchy. I love my Omega 49 and maybe this brush will be on par with that. I'll post my thoughts when I get it.

I just got my VB132 (22m knot) in Ivory and already had two plam lathers and one face lather in the book: this brush is fantastic. It's superior to my $80 Jagger Super Badger, really. Once wetted it feels soft, and when lathered, it's absolutely luxurious and it builds mounds of moisture-rich lather. I will use it tomorrow a.m. This brush is an excpetional deal--thank you Jim (Vintage Blades). If you place it on your face dry, you'll feel some scritch; however, as soon as soon as water hits those bristles this brush transforms into pure shaving ambrosia; and when loaded with lather, there's no more one can ask for in a soft-bristle badger brush. It's as good as any super or best badger I've ever used--in fact, it feels more like silver-tip badger. Enjoy it; you're in for a great experience.

I forgot to mention: The handle has more girth than, e.g., Jagger's badger brushes, and the VB132 feels grand in hand,--the finish is beautifully smooth and the profile is as if it was made for me; it also has more weight to it than some of my other similar-size badgers, I quite like its heftiness. The 22mm knot is densely packed, but not over done, giving it excellent flow-though. Simply stated, it's a fine brush and an excellent value.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I don't care for the gel tips...after 3 shaves I will be listing this 24mm on B/S/T. I sold an otherwise goregous Rooney 2XL a couple of years ago for the same reason. Although the Rooney knot had a lower loft, was quite a bit denser (incredible backbone), and had considerably softer tips when dry, they both are made with badger that clumps when wet into masses of gel tips...great for many, but not for me.

$VB brush 001.jpg

Last edited:
VB132 First Shave

I used VB132 for a first shave this morning. The brush made huge volume of lather after one loading, sufficient for 2 passes and pickups with quite a bit of lather still on/in the brush. I did notice something about the brush that might be of interest: the feel of the bristles is similar to sythetic bristles, rather slick/slippery, perhaps precisely like demcav describes above in his overview. I had noticed this last night during my 'mock' lather, but didn't really feel it until my first shave this a.m. If the feel of these bristles appeals to you, this is a great brush for little money. As for me, I prefer a more bristle-like feel to my brushes, i.e., bristles that don't have a slick-like feel similar to synthetic bristles. The brush worked beautifully; however, for me, my preference is for a more natural bristle feel. Just as a note, I once foolishly used some Clorox on a brush's bristles (boar brush) in an attempt to soften them--a bad move that ended the brush's usefulness. Anyway, the slickness of these bristles had a similar feel to me as the bleached boar bristles, slick and kind of slippery, which gives me some concern about how the bristles are processed with respect to color and softness. Looks like I'm headed back to one of my boar brushes for tomorrow's shave.

Thank you for the report. It's sometimes ironic how tastes vary among similar minded people. I say that because what you say you don't like actually sounds like something I would like very much. I've had an old Century brush with nylon bristle before and I love the way it performed and felt.

I have a feeling I'm gonna love this one if your description is correct. I am very susceptible to brush burn and hopefully this will eliminate that.

I agree that it is simply a difference in feel; and the feel of the VB132 may appeal to another person. The brush works beautifully, making mounds of rich lather. As with many things wet-shaving related, it's about personal preference. Enjoy your new brush--I wish you the best with it.

just got mine in today

proxy.php

proxy.php

the 24mm in faux ebony was a lot heavier than i expected lol. true to the word, stiff and scrubby out of the box, soft as hell when in use.

I really cannot thank you gentlemen enough for the recommendation on the brush. I received a 24mm and absolutely love it. The tips are nice and soft and the splay is nice and well matched with a great backbone. Upon first wetting it, I thought for sure it would be floppy but it has excellent backbone with soft tips. It honestly feels quite a lot like my SimFix Grosvenor. I made 3 test lathers with Palmolive, Don Marco, and KMF Lavender and it made quick work of them. I have a feeling that i"ll have to have the 20mm and 22mm as well. Darn addictions

Think-thank darn spelling errors

Last edited:
Have you given yours a spin?

Definitely! I have had it for about a month now and was amazed after the first use.

Über soft tips, great backbone and a great handle to boot. I ended up with the 20mm and although I am big brush fan, this little guy has made himself right at home in the mix.

This really is a "must have" shaving brush. As I stated before, if you told me Lee Sabini had made it, I would probably believe you. Top notch quality for such an inexpensive brush.

After shaving with it this morning, the face feel is almost identical to my SimFix 2 Band Grosvenor. It did a nice job with KMF Lavender. Still rather pleased with it.

Well , after reading the reviews, and having an itch for another brush, I just ordered mine. I went for the 24mm knot. I currently use a Vulfix Super 660 large, 22mm set at 55mm loft. Is it here yet? Anyhow , A healthy, smooth shavin' New Year to all!

I received my 24mm 2-band a little bit ago and forgot to update. Overall my impressions are the same as everyone else, a great, great brush for just about any price. The only issue I think that I personally have is that I need a brush with a little bit of scritch to it or I need to add an exfoliating cleanser to my morning routine. Since I started using the brush I've experienced a little bit of break out that I've narrowed down to the brush. I think that it is so soft that it doesn't exfoliate for me at all, but it's way too good of a brush to give up. I love it!

Knock, Knock--ups---Yahoooooo! my VB 134 24 mm is here. rip, open--Impressed by brush box--slide top off,wrapped in tissue and bubble wrap and I see the top of the brush--wow!I'm pumped --as per the other reviews-yup feels nicely ,scritchy, Just in time for shower and shave ! which fat? Mike's Natural-Wild Lavender, out comes my Dovo 122(shoulderless)and we're off. Cool-brush is sterilized and ready to go. Dry it has"back bone and neato when wet it had the backbone to charge uo San Juan Hill! Bully!Brush and water meet and a match made in heaven happens. Even with no soap, just wet, the tips softened and said , c'mon over here big boy!Onto the fat , easy to pick up what I need, she'll take on the hardest of soaps or frolic in a croap, and then I began to lather my face. The heavens sang, the sun came out, and the birds started singing!Soft tips massaging, backbone lifting whiskers and a general feeling of facial nirvana! The Mike's soap was lathered to go so enter blade-great, pass 2-plenty of moisture, my lather holding textbook true, 3rd--Cool as a moose plenty of lather left-touch up finish. Rinse brush. A marvelous addition to my wet shaving experience.Prior to this I have a Vulfix 660 lrg, in Super, A Tweezerman, b4 that a generic boar bristle and various others. This is a Rolls R. to me. A great brush, great value and for my face and soaps, water, etc. a perfect match. And all becuse of the wonderful reviews I read here. Thank you! and Vintage Blades!

Update: Uses it with my RazoRock chianti/lavender----wowowowow! a few swiirls , lather on face and like a beautiful calligraphy brush, the brush and soap burst into a fine fat , slick lather. Using those tips and great back bone I didn't want to stop lathering! Enjoy!!!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom