What's new

A narrow blade?

Quite often Kai blades, being wider, are mentioned as adding a bit more oomph to a decidedly mild razor. Is there a blade out there that is narrow? Would such a blade tame an aggressive razor or otherwise temper blade feel?

I was using some Rapira Super Stainless blades a few weeks ago and they seemed like they didn't have as much exposure as the Gillette Rubies I was using just before them. I didn't do any measurements to confirm what I felt but Rapiras seem like they run a little narrow to me. They did seem to tame my more aggressive razors a bit.

You may be able to reduce the blade exposure slightly by using one or two shims. If you aren't familiar, a shim is a thin spacer, usually made from an old DE blade. The edges of the old blade are cut off using scissors or ground off with an abrasive. If you put a shim between the cutting blade and the top cap, you may be able to slightly reduce the effective blade exposure for the razor.

Personna Med Prep, can't remember how much narrower. It's on here somewhere, about 0.05mm than average. Plus they are nice and sharp. It's enough I can feel it.

Reactions: Anu

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
This may get me burned at the stake, but I am going to say Polsilver. They tugged horrendously in a mild razor, and had to be used in an aggressive razor to perform like most blades to in my mild razor.

Top Bottom