What's new

A Millennial's Shaving Journey

A double-header of entries, as the last few days were a bit crazy!

Shave #54 - 16 Feb, 2018

Hardware: DLC-Yaqi Open Comb, Yaqi Monster Barbershop Synthetic brush, Gillette 7 O'Clock Sharp Edge (Yellow)
Software: Truefitt and Hill Rose cream, Maggard Alum Block, Nivea Sensitive AS balm

Music: Selections from Myq Kaplan's "Small, Dork, and Handsome"

I decided to try the Truefitt and Hill Rose cream again today, and double-down on my commitment by using my biggest brush! Considering massive this brush is, I had to use the remainder of the product, so there will be a mini-review following!

As before, the cream was incredibly overpowering. Thankfully, my nose was a bit stuffed up anyways, so I wasn't getting the full impact of the scent, but this one really is too strong in my opinion. Still a decent product in terms of slickness and protection, but I won't be purchasing this one in the future.

The brush itself functioned pretty well, especially given its size. Surprisingly enough, the knot doesn't have as strong of a backbone as the Yaqi Mysterious Space brush, I think partly because the hairs aren't as dense. This brush holds enough lather for multiple days' shaves, and feels like a bit of a waste to use just for my face. Maybe if I can convince SWMBO to start using brush creams when shaving her legs, it'll come in handy!

I am starting to notice increased irritation with my blade, despite getting the hang of the aggressiveness of the razor, which I think means that the blade is on its way out. We'll see how it goes next shave, but I think it may be chucked soon.

Truefitt and Hill Rose Shaving Cream Mini-Review
Ease of Lather: like all T&H products it requires some dialing in with the water but ultimately lathers well
Face Feel: Slick and smooth, does not dry out skin but not really moisturizing
Slickness: Decent slickness, average level for a T&H product
Overall: Extremely overpowering scent which puts me right off of this product in the future, despite its performance

Shave #55 - 18 Feb, 2018

Hardware: DLC-Yaqi Open Comb, Yaqi Mysterious Space Synthetic brush, Gillette 7 O'Clock Sharp Edge (Yellow)
Software: Stirling Naked and Smooth, Maggard Alum Block, Truefitt and Hill Grafton aftershave

Music: Friends Season 7 Episode 2

Today I decided to try the last of the untested soap samples that Don sent me, Stirling's Naked and Smooth. I was really looking forward to testing this product, partly because I was sure it wouldn't overpower my nose and partly because I've heard some great things about Stirling's products!

I found that I only needed a small amount of product to get a lot of lather, which in my book is great and echoes the experiences of others here on B+B. And, true to form, there really was no distinguishable scent whatsoever, allowing me to focus more on the product's performance. Interestingly, while some users find Stirling products very slick, I didn't notice a big difference between the slickness here and with my Truefitt and Hill samples, or some of my other artisan soaps. It definitely is slick enough to get the job done, and provides good protection, but there isn't the same kind of residual slickness I get with some of my products. This product also doesn't seem to be moisturizing at all, which isn't necessarily a detraction as it doesn't dry out the skin either. Overall, it has me quite keen to try one of Stirling's other products, and I may be ordering a sample or two soon.

I found my blade to be rather irritating today, no matter what technique I used with my razor, so I think that it has met its end. I only ended up getting 5 shaves this time, as compared with 6-8 with my Merkur razor, so I am wondering if the increased aggressiveness of this razor makes blade imperfections easier to notice. Either way, I will be switching back to my Merkur to continue my blade testing, so look out for that with my next entry!

With all of the extra blades I have that I'll probably never use, I think that I'm going to have a big exchange ready for the Great Blade Exchange program when I get back to the United States this summer...

Personally I think Stirling is up there with the good performers, but not the top of the heap. I have a few and never hesitate to use them, but I agree, there are others that outrank it for slickness. But they rock with scent strength.

Great Shaves and reading! I wish I could talk my son into some kind of journaling so I could follow his days in something.

Again, a very busy week, so here is a triple-header of entries!

Shave #56 - 20 Feb, 2018

Hardware: Merkur 23C, Yaqi Mysterious Space Synthetic brush, Treet Platinum
Software: Wild West Shaving Co. Medicine Man, Maggard Alum Block, Nivea Sensitive AS

For this shave, I decided to return to my trusty Merkur and break out another new blade, the Treet Platinum. I hadn't really seen many reviews of this blade in my perusals of B+B, so I wasn't exactly sure what to expect.

The Treet blade shaves very oddly in that I really can't feel it against my face, like I do with most other blades. Despite not being aggressive, however, it gave me a very close shave without any weepers or irritation. I am definitely a fan of the first shave with this blade, and hope it continues to work as well.

Today's shave also featured WWSC Medicine Man, which is my favorite of their scents so far. Russ has a great nose for scents, and I really enjoy Aces and Eights and Doc Holliday, but there is something about Medicine Man that I just can't get over - it's a powdery version of a traditional barbershop scent that hits all the right notes for me. As of course, it is very slick and bursts into a lather very quickly, which is great for me!

Shave #57 - 22 Feb, 2018

Hardware: Merkur 23C, Simpson Chubby 2 Synthetic, Treet Platinum
Software: Razorock Santa Maria Del Fiore, Maggard Alum Block, Nivea Sensitive AS

Today was the second shave with the Treet blade, and it went quite like the first: not a very aggressive blade, but resulting in a close shave without any nicks. The big question now is one of durability: how long will this performance keep up? Given how gentle this blade seems to be, I feel like it would be a very good first blade for someone just getting into DE shaving.

I decided to treat myself today with what is probably my favorite product so far, the Santa Maria Del Fiore from Razorock, as well as my luxurious Chubby 2 Synthetic. This combination is absolutely stellar, and was a nice little comfort in the middle of a very busy week! I definitely need to pick up a tub of SMDF when I'm back in the States!

Shave #58 - 24 Feb, 2018

Hardware: Merkur 23C, Redecker bristle brush, Treet Platinum
Software: Wild West Shaving Co. Doc Holliday, Maggard Alum Block, Nivea Sensitive AS

Today's shave, #3 with the Treet, resulted in a close shave with a few minor weepers in my common problem areas. This blade seems very good in terms of shaving experience and durability, and I am hoping to get at least another two out of it before going on to my nest test.

After a long hiatus, I broke out my Redecker bristle brush again, this time for some WWSC Doc Holliday. As always, the lather was slick, although I am still getting used to lathering directly onto the puck. When I get back to the States I think I will be transferring this puck to a shaving bowl for easier use, as the tobacco-puck container it comes in isn't ideal for puck lathering. I also probably should get a different bristle brush, as I find myself picking loose hairs off my face and puck constantly when using this brush...

I once again have been quite remiss of my shave journal - the end of term really does do a number on my schedule! So for your enjoyment, here are my miss three entries!

Shave #59 - 26 Feb, 2018

Hardware: Merkur 23C, Redecker bristle brush, Treet Platinum
Software: Wild West Shaving Co. Aces and Eights, Maggard Alum Block, Nivea Sensitive AS

For today's shave, I decided to break out my Aces and Eights soap from WWSC. The scent is definitely growing on me, although I have to say that I'm not nearly a big of a fan of it as I am of some of the other WWSC offerings. However, I think that it will be a better scent in the summer and especially the fall, at which time I will probably do that old "rub the lather behind your ears for a matching cologne" trick more often.

The Treet blade is definitely starting to dull, leading to some irritation. Unfortunately, a stupid mistake with blade angles on my part also led to a decent-sized nick on my face - not the end of the world, but still annoying! Thankfully I didn't need to break out my styptic pencil as my alum block did the job well enough, but it still isn't a pleasant way to start the morning!

Shave #60 - 28 Feb, 2018

Hardware: Merkur 23C, Yaqi Mysterious Space Synthetic, Treet Platinum
Software: Lisa's Natural Herbal Creations Bay Rum, Maggard Alum Block, Nivea Sensitive AS

Today's shave featured the return of Lisa's Natural Herbal Creations Bay Rum, one of the samples Don sent me. I have already written up a mini-review on this product, as I wasn't the biggest fan of it at the time. Since then, I've used some of the sample to break in my Yaqi and bristle brushes, but I still had a bit left that I wanted to give one last go. As before, however, I found the scent quite peppery and thus not pleasant to my nose. The soap lathers decently, has an okay cushion, and gives less-that-stellar slickness, all while drying out the skin slightly. So this product unfortunately doesn't tick a lot of boxes for me.... but of course, YMMV.

Today was also the last day for the Treet blade. Continued irritation and quite a few tiny weepers meant that this shave wasn't great, but would definitely have done in a pinch. That gives the Treet blade a 5-shave maximum for me, which is decent compared to some of the others I've tried. And on that note, it's time to turn to the long-awaited mini-review!

Treet Platinum Blade Mini-Review
Aggressiveness: almost unnoticeable but leaves a decently close shave for the first few rounds
Durability: 4-5 2-pass shaves on 2-days growth
Package design: clean orange and white tuck with similar paper wrapper - overall looks quite professional
Overall: A decent blade, and probably a very good one to start learning on
Would use again: would definitely feel comfortable using them, or using them to teach a friend

Shave #61 - 03 Mar, 2018

Hardware: Merkur 23C, Yaqi Mysterious Space Synthetic, Shark Superior Stainless Steel
Software: TOBS Sandalwood cream, Maggard Alum Block, Truefitt and Hill Grafton AS balm

For this shave, I broke out another new blade, the Shark Superior Stainless Steel. I've already tried another Shark blade before, and don't remember being very impressed by it. If this blade's performance is anything to go by, that's not an unreasonable feeling... This blade seemed to do quite a bit of tugging on the WTG pass (given, it was 3 days growth instead of two, but still). For the ATG, it took some blade scrubbing to really get the close shave I was looking for, and it felt like the blade was doing less and less with each stroke. I'm quite honestly half-debating just stopping with this blade now.... I have a presentation on Monday that I would like to look decent for, and I feel like this blade is very quickly going to start nicking me...

I decided that today was a good time for the return of the classic TOBS Sandalwood cream, a tried and true workhorse for me. I forgot that, with this soap, I'm often left with slightly dry skin after, but I should have expected that. Of course, the lather was good, the protection decent, and the overall experience a pleasant one. When grabbing for my aftershave, I realized that I still had some T&H Grafton AS left in my sample, and had never done a final review! So here is my mini-review, after a long-term trial of Grafton!

Truefitt and Hill Grafton Aftershave Balm Mini-Review
Moisture Qualities: Nothing remarkable, but definitely better than nothing!
Face Feel: smooth and softening, takes a little longer to absorb/dry than Nivea
Scent: like most T&H aftershaves it smells better independently than paired with the soap/cream, smells rather like a generic product you'd find an equivalent of in most drug stores
Overall: A decent product I have no problem using but not real desire to own a full bottle of

Hope school is going well. Hearing of the Shark blade gives me shivers. It was THE worst blade I ever used and I took a day off from shaving to heal from it.

Hope school is going well. Hearing of the Shark blade gives me shivers. It was THE worst blade I ever used and I took a day off from shaving to heal from it.

Thanks Dave, school is going well - just a lot of work, as I expected! I'm kinda disappointed - I really like the packaging, but they are just pretty bad blades... I might chuck it...

Sharks were second worst for me. Lords were just plain abysmal and tugged and pulled the entire first shave

It's odd, I had a better experience with ASCO blades than I think most people - they're mild as all get-out and require a full three passes for a decent shave, but I don't necessarily mind that so long as I get a good shave... the extra time is just more time doing what I like to do! But I agree, Lord blades are sub-standard at best in most cases...

Shave #62 - 05 Mar, 2018

Hardware: Merkur 23C, Yaqi Mysterious Space Synthetic, Gillette 7 O'Clock Sharp Edge (Yellow)
Software: WWSC Medicine Man, Maggard Alum Block, Nivea Sensitive AS

For today's shave, I stuck with some of my tested-and-true products, because I had a rather important presentation to give later in the day. I switched out my Shark Stainless blade for a Gillette 7 O'Clock Sharp Edge, but I still have the old Shark on reserve to give it another try in the future! I also pulled out the last of one of the WWSC Medicine Man samples I have, to round out the shave with a fantastic product. I am happy that I have two Medicine Man samples - I will definitely have to buy some full-sized pucks very soon!

The shave was quite nice, and the Yaqi brush did a wonderful job producing rich lather. I have noticed that, while the face feel with the Yaqi is only about 95% as good as the Simpson Chubby 2 Synthetic, using the Yaqi is much easier because I don't have to fight to get the lather out of the knot constantly. I hope that I can figure out a way around that with the Simpson brush - I paid a lot for it, after all, and I really like it! But for now, the path of least resistance when I need a good lather is either the Yaqi Mysterious Space or my EJ brush.

I've been thinking about my next product options - I have a lot of untested samples available to me (mostly from WWSC and T&H), plus some random samples from Don which I have only used once or twice. Decisions, decisions...

It's been a while since I posted (with my normal excuse of being busy...), so you're in for a quadruple-header!

Shave #63 - 07 Mar, 2018

Hardware: Merkur 23C, Yaqi Mysterious Space Synthetic, Shark Stainless Steel
Software: Proraso Single Blade Cypress and Vetiver, Maggard Alum Block, Nivea Sensitive AS

Today's shave saw the return of the Shark blade, along with the PSB Cypress and Vetiver. I figured that the combination of the slickness of the PSB with the mediocrity of the Shark blade might even out to a decent shave. I was mostly correct in that belief - it did give me a closer shave with less irritation, but it certainly wasn't a 'good' shave all around. The blade itself, however, did not seem to decrease in performance, which I was also expecting from a Lord blade. I think I will give it one more go at some point before tossing it.

As far as the PSB product, it definitely is quite slick, but I still have my own reservations with the scent. It still smells a bit chemical to me, but its performance compensates for that. That being said, there are definitely products out there (like WWSC) which are equally slick and have better scents. Maybe I will come to appreciate the scent more over time, but that may take a long time!

Shave #64 - 09 Mar, 2018

Hardware: Merkur 23C, Yaqi Mysterious Space Synthetic, Gillette 7 O'Clock Sharp Edge (Yellow)
Software: WWSC Pinkerton, Maggard Alum Block, Nivea Sensitive AS

I decided to break out another WWSC sample I received - Pinkerton! Pinkerton is one of the more popular WWSC scents, and I can definitely see why. The scent is just the right balance of masculine top notes and a perfume-esque heart, and quite honestly could just have easily been from a Truefitt and Hill product. As with all of WWSC's products, it lathers wonderfully and provides an excellent cushion and slickness. I will definitely be adding a puck of Pinkerton to my next WWSC order, and I'll quite honestly probably use it more than either Doc Holliday or Aces and Eights...

Shave #65 - 11 Mar, 2018

Hardware: Merkur 23C, Simpson Chubby 2 Synthetic, Gillette 7 O'Clock Sharp Edge (Yellow)
Software: Razorock Santa Maria Del Fiore, Maggard Alum Block, Nivea Sensitive AS

For my Birthday Shave, I decided to return to two of my favorite products: Razorock's Santa Maria Del Fiore and my Simpson Chubby 2 Synthetic! The combination of the luxurious scent of the SMDF and the softness of the Chubby 2 Synth is really unbeatable. Shaving with one of them is a treat, and with both is a wonderful indulgence! Speaking of which, I have definitely decided to add a tub of SMDF to my next big order.... oh how this simple activity of shaving really is becoming a bit of an obsession!

Shave #66 - 14 Mar, 2018

Today's shave (on three days' growth because yesterday was crazy) saw the return of Pinkerton. It really is weird, but despite the fact that I'm not the biggest fan of the scents of the two full-sized pucks of WWSC products I have, I still really like the products themselves. Pinkerton is a mixture of both a great product and a great scent for me, so I can't seem to stay away! My only complaint with WWSC products generally is that the samples (which are now discontinued for the time being) are generally a smooth paste, while the full-sized products are harder pucks. That's just a preference of how I prefer my products generally, and in terms of artisan products it's not surprising, but it is worth mentioning.

In other news, these 7 O'Clock Sharp Edge blades are fantastic - they last for ages, provide great shaves every time, and give no irritation despite dense hair growth. I'm very happy that I bought a 100-pack, as I imagine these blades will cover me for many years to come, especially at this rate!

Ya ya ya with the shaves, were are the musical updates? ;)

Just kidding! You're at an awesome place of having so much to discover and every shave being a new experience. Nice to see you experimenting.

proxy.php

Ya ya ya with the shaves, were are the musical updates? ;)

Just kidding! You're at an awesome place of having so much to discover and every shave being a new experience. Nice to see you experimenting.

proxy.php

I didn't realize my music lists were even being read! They will come back with my next shave :D

And I am in a really fun spot right now, especially considering the wealth of products available today that weren't just a generation ago. It's really a lot of fun figuring this out and finding what works best for me!

And thanks for the birthday wishes, Dave!

Shave #67 - 16 Mar, 2018

Music: "Sweet Georgia Brown" by Ella Fitzgerald, "Blood on the Risers (Gory Gory What a Helluva Way to Die)" by the American Paratrooper Chorus, "Money for Nothing" by Dire Straits

Today's shave was my last with this 7oC Sharp Edge, and quite honestly I can't remember when I put it in! I count that as a victory in terms of blade longevity. I was starting to get some minor tugging and irritation, and a foolish angle choice led to a nick, so I used that as an excuse to jettison the blade. They really are a good product though, and have a permanent place in my shave den!

I also pulled out my Pinkerton sample again - I just can't get enough of this stuff! Especially right now with the second blast of winter here in the UK, my skin is thankful for the extra moisture from the WWSC soaps. I also got a compliment from a friend the last time I used it, so I figure that the scent has been validated by more than just my nose!

Today also sees the return of the Music section, as per @NurseDave 's request! I'm glad someone other than me appreciates my random amalgamation of songs!

Shave #68 - 18 Mar, 2018

Hardware: Merkur 23C, Yaqi Mysterious Space Synthetic, Shark Stainless Steel
Software: WWSC Doc Holliday, Maggard Alum Block, Nivea Sensitive AS

Music: "Suicide is Painless (M*A*S*H Theme Song)" by Johnny Mandel, "Brandy" by Looking Glass, "You Can Leave Your Hat On" by Joe Cocker

After some advice from guys on the WWSC forum, I decided to pull out my Doc Holliday puck from WWSC and try bowl lathering again. As regular readers will know, I've been having some trouble with the full-sized pucks of WWSC that I ordered as part of Russ's initial batches. After seeing my post on the WWSC thread, Russ has very generously sent me replacement tubs, which I look forward to testing out when SWMBO brings them over from the States in a few days. In the meanwhile, I figured I'd try testing out the Doc Holliday soap again, as it is the softer of the two pucks I currently have.

One of the odd things I do when shaving is use metal collar stays to scoop out my soaps and creams. I find them in the trash or the bottom of the washing machine all the time in my university laundry room, and I figure that they are useful for more than just keeping collars stiff! I used one of these collar stays to scoop out a bit of my Doc Holliday, and I noticed that about the top third of an inch of product was quite hard, but that underneath the product was softer. The same was true around the edges (down the side of the puck), so I'm thinking that something must have reacted with the air over time to dry out the soap. When I discarded the harder crust of the soap and used just the product from the interior, I ended up with a much nicer lather than I can normally get. As you can see, I also managed to make the lather with a synthetic brush, instead of my boar bristle brush. So all over, I definitely think that there was something up with the initial pucks I got. It will be interesting to see if the crust forms over the now-exposed surface of the soap again, or if it takes longer to develop. Either way, I look forward to testing out Russ' newest formulations soon.

As far as the shave, I decided to do my final shave with the Shark blade... and was punished with weepers and irritation for it. This blade really is garbage compared to some of the other ones I've tried (even other Lord blades), so the remaining blades are going in the pile of things to send off to the Great Blade Exchange in the hope that someone has better luck with them! My mini-review of the Shark blade is below

Shark Stainless Steel Blade Mini-Review
Aggressiveness: mediocre sharpness and aggressiveness
Durability: 1-2 2-pass shaves on 2-days growth (poor durability between shaves)
Package design: sleek tuck design and colorful wrapper
Overall: A garbage blade trying to use a cool name and packaging to sell itself
Would use again: Not unless I had to, and only for one shave

Top Bottom