What's new

A "Master USA" blade for a newbie?

Hello everyone, I just ordered a 12$ flat ground 3" razor from Ebay, and I'm afraid that its a bad choice! I need feedback on whether I should use it or toss it. From what I read, I really feel that a bad experience is about to happen soon.

BTW, I decided to purchase this blade because I am on a really tight budget and because I want to try it before making a big decision, although I truly want the privilege of traditional shaving.

Also, should I immediately shave with it or do you recommend slopping/ finishing honing? The Ebay seller says that it is pre-sharpened and only needs to be slopped periodically.

Please, any help / assistance / advice / guidance is needed and appreciated!

Thanks and cheers.

Last edited:
Unfortantely, Master USA is on the list of straight razors to avoid. It's made of very cheap subpar steel that can't be made to take a shave ready edge. I absolutely wouldn't attempt to shave with it, as there is no possible way it will be sharp enough.

For budget minded newbie straight razor setups, you should get in touch with Larry Andro of http://www.whippeddog.com/

You can also watch the B/S/T here, as many great quality vintage straights show up for good prices all of the time.

If you buy from Larry, or from the B/S/T your razor will come shave ready, and ready for you to use. Most razors you buy from ebay, or from your local knife store will not be shave ready, and you will need to spend $20 more making the razor shave ready.

As for new razors, there are only a small handful of brands that make top quality razors, Dovo, and Thiers-Issard being the bulk of the market. An entry level Dovo will cost about $$80-$100 + shipping. Besides these brands, just about everything else in terms of new straight razors is unusable.

Last edited:
+1 on what Michiganlover said, what you have there is a razor shaped knife, and no amount of stropping will change that, sorry about your bad luck and I hope it doesn't chase you away from this new challenge.

Thank you gentlemen. Your guidance was to my expectations - excellent!
Sadly, soon after the purchase, I realized that "Master USA" razors are recreational face destroyers. Damn, a waste of hard earned dollars! Anyways, thanks Michiganlover, I will see what whippeddog has to offer. And I will go to the b/s/t.

If you're looking to save money, try going the disposable blade straight route. I know many members will tell you to stay away from them, but I'm a guy who only uses disposable blade straights.

Yes I do have some good quality straights, namely the Kai and Feather straights, but I also have 3 Parker straights, the SRW, and the SRB, same model just different color scales, and the stainless model. The Parkers cost anywhere from $12 to $16 and sometimes come with a supply of Shark blades. Not a bad deal for them. Oh by the way, the Parker straights are made in Pakistan, but they are a pretty good disposable blade straight. All you have to do is go slow and light with ANY straight, and you'll be fine. :thumbup1:

+1 on getting a str8 from Larry @ Whippeddog. I have two razors from him, first class guy.

To reiterate what Michiganlover said, they're not razors. They impersonate razors though:biggrin1:

On top of it, you overpaid for it. I bought one probably 3 years ago for $5. I didn't know much about straights and wanted a cheap option to try my hand at it. I figured at worst I was only out $5, even if the razor didn't work.

With that said, it will shave....once, and it'll do a crappy job. If it's like mine it's made in china out of 440 stainless (a steel I don't even like for beater knives lol). If you want to try it, don't try to hone it. If it actually has an edge consider yourself lucky becuase you can't sharpen it down to one.

I've never honed a straight before but I'm quite adept at sharpening knives and for the life of me I couldn't get an edge of any sort on this thing.

I wouldn't put it to my face if I were you. Check out the B/S/T....I just saw some great deals on there in the $25-35 range

If you're looking to save money, try going the disposable blade straight route. I know many members will tell you to stay away from them, but I'm a guy who only uses disposable blade straights.

Yes I do have some good quality straights, namely the Kai and Feather straights, but I also have 3 Parker straights, the SRW, and the SRB, same model just different color scales, and the stainless model. The Parkers cost anywhere from $12 to $16 and sometimes come with a supply of Shark blades. Not a bad deal for them. Oh by the way, the Parker straights are made in Pakistan, but they are a pretty good disposable blade straight. All you have to do is go slow and light with ANY straight, and you'll be fine. :thumbup1:
--------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for the feedback dpmtherrien. Actually, I thought of these since I saw them at the barber's. But I am honestly quite attracted to the full str8.
What I will do is, take my newly acquired MasterUSA knife to a pro hone shop, then attempt to shave with it: I will be EXTREMELY careful and SLOW. Then I will post my feedback on the forums. The brotherhood must know!!! hehe.
Thanks a whole lot mate!
Cheers.

+1 on getting a str8 from Larry @ Whippeddog. I have two razors from him, first class guy.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks Wid and Granaura. The only turnoff is that the razors are 2nd hand.
I think I will buy a DOVO on ebay.

Cheers.

To reiterate what Michiganlover said, they're not razors. They impersonate razors though:biggrin1:

On top of it, you overpaid for it. I bought one probably 3 years ago for $5. I didn't know much about straights and wanted a cheap option to try my hand at it. I figured at worst I was only out $5, even if the razor didn't work.

With that said, it will shave....once, and it'll do a crappy job. If it's like mine it's made in china out of 440 stainless (a steel I don't even like for beater knives lol). If you want to try it, don't try to hone it. If it actually has an edge consider yourself lucky becuase you can't sharpen it down to one.

I've never honed a straight before but I'm quite adept at sharpening knives and for the life of me I couldn't get an edge of any sort on this thing.

I wouldn't put it to my face if I were you. Check out the B/S/T....I just saw some great deals on there in the $25-35 range
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Thx BlakeW5! You really put the cherry on top in terms of information. Your feedback is unfortunately what I was looking for (now I know that I just purchased an overpriced kitchen knife!!!!!!) haha. Amazing!
What I will do is shave carefully my cheeks ONLY. I have to at least use it once!

I'm starting to believe that Ebay isn't good for everything! Especially razors.

Take care sir!!!

Last edited:

Cheers.

Keep in mind, that Dovo's don't come shave ready from the factory. So what looks like a deal on Ebay may not be once you figure in the fact that you will need to spend an additional $20 to have it professional honed.

I would avoid Ebay alltogether, and buy the Dovo from one of our fine vendors who supports the board, such as:

http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Dovo-quotSpecialquot-Tortoise-58-Straight-Razor_p_420.html

http://gentlemensbest.com/NewStraightRazors.aspx

Razors from both of these vendors will come shave ready (honed by a professional who knows the proper way to hone a straight razor).

I personally don't consider a vintage straight razor to be a turn off. For the most part vintage straights were made to a much higher standard than the straight razors of today. Thus vintage straights are superior to new razors.

Last edited:

Cheers.

Even if you buy a new razor... if it doesn't come from a recognized source (that has it honed by a honemeister), you may want to spend the extra $10-15 to get it honed regardless...

If you start with a dull blade you will likely get too frustrated and bloody to really get the practice needed to get at nice straight shave..

The time spent is well worth it (I understand as I'm just starting myself), as it is the ultimate adjustible razor!

What I will do is, take my newly acquired MasterUSA knife to a pro hone shop, then attempt to shave with it:

Why do you want to do this?

You would be doing nothing except throwing more money away. The hone shop isn't going to hone the razor for free, and in the end the razor still won't take a usable edge, so the effort will be pointless.

Also, honing a knife, and honing a straight razor are two separate skills. Someone who knows how to hone a knife likely doesn't have the skills to properly hone a straight razor. It's also possible they don't even own the proper equipment (as honing a straight requires extremely fine grit stones).

Last edited:

Cheers.

Yes Larry @ whippeddog has vintage razors....but the steel is soo much better. I would say, better than most anything you can get made today.

I also own a whipped dog vintage blade, I shave with that one almost all the time when I want to use a straight, even over my Dovo. I too figured I wanted, something cheap and a new blade, I got a gold dollar. Yes it took an edge, but not a good one, still wish I never got that one.

You may want to think again. Just my $.02

Last edited:
Again, thanks everyone for your support - this is overwhelmingly good for me.

I will take your advices and not waste anymore money on something that
is not worth it. The MASTERUSA will be tested upon recieval, and only tested on my cheeks. No risks with an imposter!

I followed your advice and went to the BST. I have found something interesting. But I need your help on this one by telling me to buy or to bust.

The blade is made by W.C.H. Bros & Co. It is refurbished for 25$

Also the seller is a recent member - can i trust him?

Anyways here's the link

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=162044

Please help guys, this is my first official str8!!!

Cheers to all.

Last edited:
If you PM or email Alfred from Fendrihan.com, he's also a B&B member in the vendor section, he can put you in contact with Mr. Gauthier who hones and restores straight razors in Montreal. He rescales and sharpens NOS (New Old Stock) Wapienica Razors from Poland that Fendrihan sells. I got one of the on Ebay for $45 new. The razor uses a very heavy set of stainless steel scales that really affects the balance & Mr. Gauthier has experience with the razor so he could really turn it into a work of art for you if you got one. Otherwise he could restore any razor you wish.

Definately check the b/s/t/ forum here, thats where I've gotten all my equipment for damn good prices. Hell, I just saw a freakin' Dovo go for like $30 bucks the other day! (still kicking myself- saw it like 2 minutes after it sold)

Top Bottom