What's new

A little help with a possible Tradere purchase

I have a Weber and it shaves great. It's a little more aggressive than an EJ89.

I have not tried a Tradere or an ATT.

My go-to is my iKon with an OSS handle. I have the open comb plate and the closed comb plate. The OC is mild for an OC, while the CC is aggressive for a CC, and, for me, more aggressive than the OC. Sometimes I will switch plates in the middle of a shave, depending on the shave or a whim.

I cut my teeth on a Jagger, and love them. But there is a certain something about a stainless steel razor, it feels like Quality. :001_cool:

So I broke down and ordered an ATT Titan R1. Gonna wait till the ARC is available again before I order a Weber. And just for fun, I went ahead and ordered a 1965 Gillette Slim as well!

I have a Weber and it shaves great. It's a little more aggressive than an EJ89.

I have not tried a Tradere or an ATT.

My go-to is my iKon with an OSS handle. I have the open comb plate and the closed comb plate. The OC is mild for an OC, while the CC is aggressive for a CC, and, for me, more aggressive than the OC. Sometimes I will switch plates in the middle of a shave, depending on the shave or a whim.

I cut my teeth on a Jagger, and love them. But there is a certain something about a stainless steel razor, it feels like Quality. :001_cool:

Which weber comes out ahead arc vs dlc any drawbacks between them both

So I broke down and ordered an ATT Titan R1. Gonna wait till the ARC is available again before I order a Weber. And just for fun, I went ahead and ordered a 1965 Gillette Slim as well!

All great razors. I'm not sure if you want feedback, so if you don't, please don't read this.
Stop. Seriously. Unless you don't want to.
The ATT with the R1 baseplate is a going to be miles more aggressive than the Weber (should you get it) or the Slim, even opened up all the way, I think. I don't have an R1. But I have the M1 and the H1. The M1 itself is miles more aggressive than the others. Absolutely worth having a "range"; I'm just guessing the R1 will be an outlier in terms of what you've considered so far.

I do not have this from Ed Weber himself, so take it with a grain of salt, but my guess is that the ARC will not be available again. You might have to buy a used one if you're attached (which I was -- I got one pretty recently).

And the Slim.... is just a flat out great razor. I liked it on 2 or 3 when it was new to me (about a year ago) but find myself perfectly comfortable, no irritation and no blood, with opening it up fully, now. It doesn't get more than mild-moderate. It's a pleasure to shave with. (I ought to use mine more!)

I've been so fickle with this decision, but I think logic is starting to set in.
Logic? This is B&B! :lol:

After a few years ( well... not so few) I find myself using this one which I really like:

It's a Weber handle with a Feather AS-D1 head and all of the Ikon baseplates. All parts are replated in black chrome.

I load a fresh blade into the Feather head and change baseplates every 3-4 shaves while the blade mellows.

Life is good.:001_cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
There are all kinds of vintage razors I think are uber cool -- Toggles, Darwins, etc etc.... but I think I'm most envious of your set-up bosseb!

Wagstaff, what makes you say you don't think Weber will be releasing any more ARC heads? What about DLC?

Wagstaff, what makes you say you don't think Weber will be releasing any more ARC heads? What about DLC?
I am not representing Weber and have no inside knowledge, so please.... grain of salt, your own research, all those caveats. But...

He hasn't "gone back" before, as far as I know -- and when asked a year or so ago, said there were no plans to make the ARC available, but suggested I try the Polished. This is not the same as a commitment not to make more ARCs, I understand, but it sounds kind of close. That, and even when they were made, it seemed hard to keep them available consistently. I wonder if there's not a supplier issue with the ARC coating material.

Same with the DLC almost. For a while there were no Weber razors available. That is, after the Polished were introduced, there was a quick flare-up of DLC availability for a minute, but then they were gone without ceremony or promise of more, and he said he didn't have any plans to make more when asked.

It's not like a big company with even a small catalogue of different models all available at the same time. It never was that, excepting handle options.

I'd be thrilled to be wrong! I'd particularly like a back-up DLC, myself. I'd keep it hermetically sealed in a pyramid shaped case swathed in velvet. (The DLC coating tends to thin a bit around the threaded post area of the baseplate, at least, when the razor is used. I'm not sure about the ARC, mine has seen relatively little use by comparison).

Last edited:
Top Bottom