What's new

A little Christmas gift to myself

I just allowed myself a Christmas treat and placed a small order with Penhaligon's. After seeing some really glowing reviews, I decided to try a bottle of their LP No. 9. I guess if I end up hating it someone in the B/S/T might be interested in it. I also got the men's fragrance set of 5ml sample bottles of 4 or 5 of the colognes. To anyone interested in sampling part of their line, I highly recommend you check the Penhaligon's website because that sampler is on sale for 50% off (only $25 currently).

PS- Reining myself in for a while after this purchase. I'm a noob and the ADs set in fast. Several soaps/creams on the way in addition to this order and the couple bids (old straights) I have in on "the bay."

Last edited:
I hope I like it when it gets here. I read basically every review online for it. Most people seem to like it but lots also had strong negative opinions. I guess cologne/perfume, probably more than razors and soaps, is very subjective. It may be a little while before I see it at my door though. Penhaligon's emailed me shortly after placing my order to say that inclement weather affecting much of the United Kingdom will be delaying shipments in the foreseeable future.

Warning - this is the most dangerous forum on B&B.

I'm getting that feeling after browsing here for an extended period yesterday and this morning. It would be just too easy to read everyone's reviews and end up with a huge stash of the stuff.

No kidding. Colognes price point is low enough to seem harmless, but high enough to make a dent. After an initial flurry, I have slowed down a lot though.

True all of that. Part of the problem is that there seems to be a craving that sets in and continues to try different things. At first it is sort of a lookng for the best scent--one that suits the individual person the best. But shortly one has sampled some many things, one has developed a taste for scents, and the nose craves new excitements. No dis to anyone else's obsessions, but after spending a lot of time on such things, I was pretty happy with the straight razors, DE razors, DE blades, brush(es) (never saw the need for lots of brushes, although I own a few), strops, hones/honing materials, *** and balms, and for the most part, but not quite, SSs and SCs--still seem to have some ongoing AD for the latter two. But the desire for new scents, while it ebbs and flows, and I almost never buy full bottles, never seems to abate. It seems to actually get worse.

Of course, as some wise man once said, "[a] less expensive [obsession] than LaTour, Omegas, and 911s." Less expensive than Scotch, bourbon, tequila, Habanas, fountain pens, suits, shirts, ties, shoes, and many similar other things, too! Not that that justifies it. Of course, after obsessions of a certain duration, I am also fairly satisfied and settled with the Scotch, bourbon, tand tequila I drink, (maybe not the latter, but I am not drawn to the super expensive), the shoes and ties I wear, and, I suppose, the cigars I occasionally smoke. And, even the wine I drink and the watches I wear. I suppose the car I drive. Maybe not really on the car I drive! And I do not seem to crave the absolute best anymore in any of these things, even though I feel like I can appreciate what makes any of these things exceptionally good!

True all of that. Part of the problem is that there seems to be a craving that sets in and continues to try different things. At first it is sort of a lookng for the best scent--one that suits the individual person the best. But shortly one has sampled some many things, one has developed a taste for scents, and the nose craves new excitements.

Well said.

This forum cost me just over $1k within the first two to three months... it seems harmless at first and then you get yanked into the deep end pretty quick. Bring your savings account and a set of floaties!

I find it very exciting that you can get penhaligons LP#9 again as a number of years ago I looked for months for some after they discontinued it. Now I can get my own bottle and I can't wait. If you decide you would like to split the bottle you bought I'd certainly be willing, but one way or the other I'm getting my bottle.

Top Bottom