What's new

A list for razors without blade chatter

Or in other words, razors that hold blade most rigidly. Lets see if we can make a list for reference.

I have tried two of these razors and for me they always gave irritation free and smoothest shave. I would personally only use such razors since they get the job done most comfortably.

Merkur 45
RR Baby smooth(?)
RR Stealth Slant(?)
Ikon 102 slant(?)
Wolfman razors
Mongoose(SE)
Feather AS D2

There has to be some more.

I never heard of razor chatter. I have 30 or sold vintage razors (DE and SE) from a 1911 Old through a Fat Boy and none of them have this. I assume that mine is a reasonable sample.

I found most vintage razors I tried had some sort of chatter - I guess it is due to the fact, that they were designed for thicker blades initially...

Wolfman - Zero chatter
BBS-1 - Zero chatter
ATT Heads I tried so far (M1/2, R1/2) - zero Chatter
Razor Rock Stelath Slant - Zero Chatter
Ikon DLC - Zero Chatter

I never heard of razor chatter. I have 30 or sold vintage razors (DE and SE) from a 1911 Old through a Fat Boy and none of them have this. I assume that mine is a reasonable sample.

There's no chatter in mine either.

I too have both new and vintage razors, Including:
Gillette: Fatboy, Slim, BB adjustables, Techs, Flare Tips etc. Merkur 34-38c , EJ 89, Weber PH. I can add to the list . None of the razors Both DE's and SE's that I have chatter. Nor are the blades loose when in use.

designed for thicker blades initially...

I didn't know that.

If this is true, I suppose using feather blades with vintage razors should reduce chatter, since Feather blades are thicker.

Vintage Tech razors have low chatter. I wonder how Gillette adjustable razors behave.

I didn't know that.

If this is true, I suppose using feather blades with vintage razors should reduce chatter, since Feather blades are thicker.

Vintage Tech razors have low chatter. I wonder how Gillette adjustable razors behave.

I believe Feather blades are on the thin side.

Blade chatter is caused using too steep of an angle, so the wiskers push against the side of the blade. If you use a shallower angle, the force is in-line with the blade, so no chatter happens.

Razors with very little blade projection, or lots of blade bend will reduce &/or eliminate the symptoms of chatter. However, if you eliminate the cause of chatter (blade angle) - then any razor will be chatter free.

With no intended disrespect, I believe the notion vintage razors were "designed for thicker blades" to be largely untrue (aka unsubstantiated, or 'wives tale').

If there are differences in blade thickness between then and now it would easily fall within the upper and lower acceptable dimensions of manufacturing tolerance.

My +/- .001" micrometer can detect no difference between a vintage 1920's Gillette 3 hole blade and a Personna blade made within the past several years. If tolerances do vary in my given comparison it would be on the order of +/- .0001" (one ten thousands inch) which is an extremely thin difference, and one I can't possibly be lead to believe would induce "blade chatter" in a properly designed and well maintained vintage razor.

Again, no harm no foul here, but I just find that idea to be untrue. Have a great shave day sir!

Vintage Gillette 3 hole (.006"):

proxy.php

Personna Super (.006"):

proxy.php

I stand corrected with respect to Feather's. I just pulled a brand new one and it dials in at .004" (four one thousands inch).

That's .002" difference between it and a Personna, which is an enormous difference. No wonder they have a reputation for being so sharp but having a fast fade!

proxy.php

A friend of mine has several packs of German and UK carbon blades from the 1930s and 40s which are incredibly thin; 10 of them feel as thick to me as a modern pack of four or five. The advertising on the wrappers makes a virtue of their slender nature, and presumably they worked fine with the razors of the time.

I found most vintage razors I tried had some sort of chatter - I guess it is due to the fact, that they were designed for thicker blades initially...

Wolfman - Zero chatter
BBS-1 - Zero chatter
ATT Heads I tried so far (M1/2, R1/2) - zero Chatter
Razor Rock Stelath Slant - Zero Chatter
Ikon DLC - Zero Chatter
I think this quote is a little misleading. Maybe applicable to Gillette Old but really from the New to the DE's made in early 80's the blades fit as they should. Razor chatter < eyeroll>

I remember the anti-Techmatic commercials from decades ago, showing a Techmatic being drug along the side of a bar of soap, with the flexible band skipping, or "chattering", along the bar and digging deep gouges. "Think what it is doing to your face!" <LOL>

Coupla thoughts - I don't think my whiskers are nearly as stiff/solid/as tough as a bar of soap (especially if I'm hydrating and lathering properly), and I can't imagine using so much pressure with my razor that would cause it to dig in, flex and chatter (my technique isn't perfect but it's nowhere near that bad!). I'm sure my face wouldn't survive either scenario.

How much pressure would a guy have to use to cause a modern blade in a DE to "chatter", and how in the heck would you measure it, sense it, or differentiate it from other issues? Even with an extremely steep angle, I have difficulty visualizing a modern blade flexing against whiskers, given how little of the blade is exposed and unsupported...

The only razor I've ever used (out of maybe 25 to 30) in which the blade moved or flexed turned out to have a mechanical problem which was preventing the doors closing down firmly enough. So, for me, blade chatter is not an issue.

Blade chatter is caused using too steep of an angle, so the wiskers push against the side of the blade. If you use a shallower angle, the force is in-line with the blade, so no chatter happens.

Razors with very little blade projection, or lots of blade bend will reduce &/or eliminate the symptoms of chatter. However, if you eliminate the cause of chatter (blade angle) - then any razor will be chatter free.

I'd have to agree with that. Too steep an angle is probably the reason for most shaving related problems. That and leaning on the blade.

I remember the anti-Techmatic commercials from decades ago, showing a Techmatic being drug along the side of a bar of soap, with the flexible band skipping, or "chattering", along the bar and digging deep gouges. "Think what it is doing to your face!" <LOL>

Coupla thoughts - I don't think my whiskers are nearly as stiff/solid/as tough as a bar of soap (especially if I'm hydrating and lathering properly), and I can't imagine using so much pressure with my razor that would cause it to dig in, flex and chatter (my technique isn't perfect but it's nowhere near that bad!). I'm sure my face wouldn't survive either scenario.

How much pressure would a guy have to use to cause a modern blade in a DE to "chatter", and how in the heck would you measure it, sense it, or differentiate it from other issues? Even with an extremely steep angle, I have difficulty visualizing a modern blade flexing against whiskers, given how little of the blade is exposed and unsupported...

IMHO it is measured in efficiency.

My NEW LC and SC are about equal for me. The LC is smoother than the SC, where the SC is a little more efficient. I may have to touch up an area with the LC, but not with the SC. The SC supports the blade more than the LC.

Last edited:
IMHO it is measured in efficiency.

My NEW LC and SC are about equal for me. The LC is smoother than the SC, where the SC is a little more efficient. I may have to touch up an area with the LC, but not with the SC. The SC supports the blade more than the LC.

In the direction of travel, the blades are pushed against the top cap, so both the SC and LC - and just about every other razor, for that matter - would support the blades equally, and along their entire length.

Efficiency is so, so, so subject to a whole host of other variables that would make it difficult, if not impossible, to assign cause with certainty.

Top Bottom