What's new

A life time opportunity that only happens for very few!

Enjoy the pictures my fellow enthusiasts!

But this is really... unbelievable ! o_O And even a NOS chrome Toggle in its original case... Congratulations !! :cool:

After the war ended, he went to work at Gillette. He "worked himself up the ladder" in Gillette, from apprenticing in the machine shop, to tool and die maker, to eventually being the staff assistant to the Vice President of manufacturing. He had a superb engineering mind, and was an insightful analyst, but was most known for his patience and kindness. He knew, as was well-liked by, practically everyone who worked at Gillette's Safety Razor Division ("World Shaving Headquarters") in Boston.

Because he was such a nice guy, corporate politics was never his interest, and -- despite multiple offers -- preferred being more of a "behind the scenes" guy (working FOR the Vice President) than a top-level executive himself (being a division manager or Vice President).

It turns out not all, but most of this collection is from the "museum" at ‘Gillette’ safety razor division in South Boston. The museum, from time to time, was cleaned-up and these items were to be discarded so his dad got offered these!

He probably knew the whole history of the Tech : who invented it, the exact year of its first release, how came the idea of its head geometry, etc... That's some kind of informations that always interest me ! 🤓

But this is really... unbelievable ! o_O And even a NOS chrome Toggle in its original case... Congratulations !! :cool:

He probably knew the whole history of the Tech : who invented it, the exact year of its first release, how came the idea of its head geometry, etc... That's some kind of informations that always interest me ! 🤓
I don't think the 'Chrome Toggle' is NOS since some papers are missing and it has clearly been unpacked before. But I was lucky enough to get two razors, so I can't complain the slightest.

It really does sound like his father was a kind, humble and knowledgeable guy. I would have given money to have some conversations with him 🙂

A life time opportunity that only happens for very few!

About a month ago I saw a 5 year old post on a shaving forum, which was the start of something fantastic. The beautiful razor set was a NOS specimen of one of my favourite razors. I had never seen such a complete set before and thought there must be more to it than only this 1 set.

I therefore took a chance and tried to contact the member and oddly enough quickly got an answer even though he hadn’t been online since that original post. As expected there was more to it. I came in contact with a 65 year old man who had inherited his father’s razor collection(he died in 2017). But his father wasn't just any person. He actually worked for Gillette for 30 years. Needless to say I got very excited and wanted to hear more.

He was born in a small village in Northern Spain and came to the US as a refugee from the Spanish Civil War in the 1930s as a teenager. He attended trade school in Boston, and during the Second World War worked as an aircraft mechanic for Pratt and Whitney.

After the war ended, he went to work at Gillette. He "worked himself up the ladder" in Gillette, from apprenticing in the machine shop, to tool and die maker, to eventually being the staff assistant to the Vice President of manufacturing. He had a superb engineering mind, and was an insightful analyst, but was most known for his patience and kindness. He knew, as was well-liked by, practically everyone who worked at Gillette's Safety Razor Division ("World Shaving Headquarters") in Boston.

Because he was such a nice guy, corporate politics was never his interest, and -- despite multiple offers -- preferred being more of a "behind the scenes" guy (working FOR the Vice President) than a top-level executive himself (being a division manager or Vice President).

It turns out not all, but most of this collection is from the "museum" at ‘Gillette’ safety razor division in South Boston. The museum, from time to time, was cleaned-up and these items were to be discarded so his dad got offered these!

I almost couldn’t believe it and of course had to try my luck. After a lot of effort, communication, patience and some gold coins I can proudly present these historic pieces as a part of my razor collection.

It’s quite hard to describe with words, but it almost feels unreal to be presented with such an opportunity. Grateful and honored are what comes to my mind and this is something I will be thankful for my whole life.

I will begin to investigate options with the insurance company 😅

Enjoy the pictures my fellow enthusiasts!

View attachment 1451348View attachment 1451349View attachment 1451350View attachment 1451351
View attachment 1451355
View attachment 1451356
View attachment 1451357
View attachment 1451359
View attachment 1451360
View attachment 1451361

WOW!! DOUBLE WOW!! :a29::a29::a29:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
img_1385-jpg.1451392

The Patent for that Techmatic, including drawings and description.

Attachments

• US2397890.pdf
    681.6 KB · Views: 16
img_1385-jpg.1451392

The Patent for that Techmatic, including drawings and description.
Thanks a lot. I have already been finding information in the 2-3 other threads from years ago about this historic piece. I'm trying to determine how many specimens that are know to exist 🙂

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
Whether it's the contents of the collectibles, the backstory or the fact that they're from the Gillette Museum...all makes my jaw drop.
Thanks for the wonderful sharing, now you are a razor god.

Well what a holey, frickin', unbelievable, once-in-a lifetime, never to be repeated, spectacular, awe-inspiring sequence of events.
I stand in abject deference to you, your outstanding perseverance and incredibly good fortune.

Top Bottom