What's new

A journal of a Cajun's life wet shaving

View attachment 1751661
Three Zenith and one Semogue Boar. Now to break them in.
Boars are an excellent choice. I’ve broken in eight of them. I use only one now and keep another as a backup. There performance easily excels past other hair brushes. My large Zenith is past the softness of the two Badger two bands I’d used, and not far behind the two silvertips I’ve used. Boars continue to change into a softer brush while maintaining excellent back bone and better dynamics of brushes with less back bone. I’ll be posting a review on my well broken in Zenith B35 right after my initial romps with my new Lupo.

IMG_0503.jpeg
IMG_0502.jpeg
IMG_0498.jpeg

Enjoy your boars. 🐖

Shave Date 11/21/23 Straight Razor shave (10)
Razor:
6/8 Paul Drees Sistrum SR, 1967 Adjustable Slim TTO
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue(3)
Pre-Shave: PAA The Cube 2.0
Soap: Southern Witchcraft Autumn Ash
Brush: Omega Boar
Post-shave: Alum block, Thayers Witch Hazel, PAA Mysterium Serum, Southern Witchcraft Autumn Ash.
Rating: 29/30 10 for Comfort, 10 for cuts and weepers (0), 9 for closeness, neck stubble, Face Dolphinic smooth.

Notes:
Different day, different soap, different brush, different DE Razor.....same results. An excellent shave with dolphins singing in the bathroom. I feel like I am getting a closer shave on the WTG passes with the straight razor as time goes on. I could hear the whiskers being cut off today, but I failed to check how close I shaved before I lathered up for the DE razor ATG and cleanup pass. I need only one pass of ATG on the cheeks and S-N on the neck plus one little touchup ATG pass for the problem strip of whiskers on the jawline. The GSB may be so good at cleanup that it is hiding any deficiencies I may have with the straights. I need to check how close I am getting with my WTG passes on the cheeks before I clean it up with the DE.

The Omega boar did a fine job of face lathering, I could have shaved many more passes with the soap loaded in the boar after I was done. Cooler weather today and I broke out the Autumn ash. The faint smell of smoke, as though I was out at a smoker smoking a turkey for dinner, yet I am inside slinging pills. I know I am blessed, no complaining on my part.

Headed back to work, I wish everyone a blessed Tuesday and fantastic shaves.

IMG_1811.jpeg

IMG_1812.jpeg

Shave Date 11/22/23 Straight Razor shave (11)
Razor:
6/8 Paul Drees Sistrum SR, 1948 Super Speed
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue(4)
Soap: RazoRock The Dead Sea
Brush: Razor Emporium Best Badger
Post-shave: Alum block, Thayers Witch Hazel, PAA Mysterium Serum, RazoRock The Dead Sea.
Rating: 29/30 10 for Comfort, 10 for cuts and weepers (0), 9 for closeness, neck stubble, Face Dolphinic smooth.

Notes:

Another fine shave swimming with the dolphins. The GSB does a superb job cleaning up any leftover whiskers from the Straight Razor portion of the shave. This time I put more effort into removing as much of the beard as I could with the straight. I was concentrating on little buffing strokes with the blade, getting as close as I could to the beard, and enjoying the feedback the blade gave me.

This shave took a little longer due to the buffing work I was doing with the straight razor to get a closer shave, about 5 minutes longer. I did check my WTG work with the straight before the GSB/Super Speed combo had its pass, and it was closer than my earlier efforts. I'd say it would be an SAS shave now, just shy of DFS with just the straight WTG passes. Depending on how close I get with my eventual XTG passes with the straight will determine when I retire the DE from daily use. The GSB is a fantastic blade, and on its 4th shave, the dolphins are still chattering.

The Super Speed and GSB did a fine job of the ATG and touch-up work, I did no work with the Super Speed on the passes with the straight, the straight handled all the shaving, including the neck. Concentrating on shallow angles, laying the spine back, especially if I felt any resistance. It is a battle to keep the correct angle with the straight as it is very shallow compared to a DE razor. The straight shaving is coming along, all in due time.

I will be headed to Louisiana for Thanksgiving, I am bringing the Yates for my razor, a tuck of GSB, Palmolive shave cream, and the WCS Burlwood synthetic brush to handle the whisker removal process. I will face lather there. I chose the Yates because it comes in a travel-worthy metal case. I was about to bring my Military tech, but the Yates hasn't been used for a while, so it got the nod. The straights will stay home, extra gear to set up and uncommon surroundings are not a good thing for a relatively new straight razor shaver.

I will likely not be posting daily while I am away, if at all. I wish everyone a safe, blessed, and happy Thanksgiving celebration, may all your shaves be great.

IMG_1816.jpeg

IMG_1817.jpeg

Shave Date 11/22/23 Straight Razor shave (11)
Razor:
6/8 Paul Drees Sistrum SR, 1948 Super Speed
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue(4)
Soap: RazoRock The Dead Sea
Brush: Razor Emporium Best Badger
Post-shave: Alum block, Thayers Witch Hazel, PAA Mysterium Serum, RazoRock The Dead Sea.

Notes:

Another fine shave swimming with the dolphins. The GSB does a superb job cleaning up any leftover whiskers from the Straight Razor portion of the shave. This time I put more effort into removing as much of the beard as I could with the straight. I was concentrating on little buffing strokes with the blade, getting as close as I could to the beard, and enjoying the feedback the blade gave me.

This shave took a little longer due to the buffing work I was doing with the straight razor to get a closer shave, about 5 minutes longer. I did check my WTG work with the straight before the GSB/Super Speed combo had its pass, and it was closer than my earlier efforts. I'd say it would be an SAS shave now, just shy of DFS with just the straight WTG passes. Depending on how close I get with my eventual XTG passes with the straight will determine when I retire the DE from daily use. The GSB is a fantastic blade, and on its 4th shave, the dolphins are still chattering.

The Super Speed and GSB did a fine job of the ATG and touch-up work, I did no work with the Super Speed on the passes with the straight, the straight handled all the shaving, including the neck. Concentrating on shallow angles, laying the spine back, especially if I felt any resistance. It is a battle to keep the correct angle with the straight as it is very shallow compared to a DE razor. The straight shaving is coming along, all in due time.

I will be headed to Louisiana for Thanksgiving, I am bringing the Yates for my razor, a tuck of GSB, Palmolive shave cream, and the WCS Burlwood synthetic brush to handle the whisker removal process. I will face lather there. I chose the Yates because it comes in a travel-worthy metal case. I was about to bring my Military tech, but the Yates hasn't been used for a while, so it got the nod. The straights will stay home, extra gear to set up and uncommon surroundings are not a good thing for a relatively new straight razor shaver.

I will likely not be posting daily while I am away, if at all. I wish everyone a safe, blessed, and happy Thanksgiving celebration, may all your shaves be great.

View attachment 1752481
View attachment 1752482
What is all this John? I leave for a couple of weeks and here you go and start straight shaving! In all honesty, way to go there. Seems like you are doing great with it as well.

That's what I figured would be your response, Haha. I do have a vintage straight from Sweden coming in from eBay. When I saw it I thought good ole Boris would like to see this one restored.
Absolutely! There are some great vintage Swedish straight razors. I would be lying if getting straight razor have not crossed my mind and in particular Swedish vintage ones. If you look at the Tradera.se website there are tons of straights for sale and for very affordable prices.

Indeed! When you can find things like the below for like 10 USD.
View attachment 1752537
or this for 10 USD
View attachment 1752540
or this for 5 USD
View attachment 1752541
it becomes difficult indeed.
Getting them here is the issue.

Wishing you and your family a happy Thanksgiving, John.
Thanks Eric, same to you, stay warm up there.
Happy Thanksgiving Uncle John!

Thankful to share the same Last name as you and you being a positive influence to me except the treewhaling, buy till I am broke, and introducing me to SV!

Best Wishes!
My pleasure to be of a corruptive positive influence on you. I pray your life has settled down from the changes you've had over the past month or so.
Happy Thanksgiving John!
You as well Boris. I'll try and hone up the Swedish straight I have first and see how my honing skills are.

Getting them here is the issue.

Thanks Eric, same to you, stay warm up there.

My pleasure to be of a corruptive positive influence on you. I pray your life has settled down from the changes you've had over the past month or so.

You as well Boris. I'll try and hone up the Swedish straight I have first and see how my honing skills are.
Indeed it is. Too bad I'm not traveling back to Sweden more often.

Top Bottom