What's new

A home made scuttle/holder

Good evening gentlemen,

I recently got creative and made my own scuttle / brush holder, and it's not bad. Please note that I prioritize functionality over looks, so try not think out loud too much (some of you will probably fall to the floor while others may find it smart and original).

I am doing this because I am a total newbie to str8 and wet shaving, and in a few months, I will treat myself to a nice shave kit (silver tip brush, bowl, holder, maybe a scuttle,etc).

Also, I somewhat damaged my boar brush base since I tampered with it.
I'm actually not even sure if it's boar hair - it came in a shave kit package from a few years ago (crappy stuff).

Finally, DON'T try this at home (if you have nice shaving equipment) because it's really not worth it. But for me - whatever, I don't care for now. I haven't even tried str8 shaving yet (waiting for my first blade to come)!

Ok, get ready.....

You ruined a nice wood bowl and shave brush for what reason?

I agree,"Necessity is the mother of invention." As long as there is thought/reason behind the invention. I am speaking from experience, when I say I have created some god awful/terrible inventions in my lifetime. There have been many times, when after I did something without the thouroughness of thought, I had to ask myself, "Why did you do that?" I am not trying to be harsh or a smartass. I am pointing out that some of our ideas do not work very well, or should not have been done.

Last edited:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
That looks like a cheap bristle brush, no real harm... Agreed that water in that hole might speed up the rotting process of the brush. However, it's one way to do it!

That looks like a cheap bristle brush, no real harm... Agreed that water in that hole might speed up the rotting process of the brush. However, it's one way to do it!

I may take some flack for saying this, but after seeing some of the OP's other threads, this doesn't surprise me at all.

He's obviously happy enough about it to take the time and post pics of it. If it works for than carry on.

You ruined a nice wood bowl and shave brush for what reason?

I agree that I have dramatically reduced both the bowl's and brush's
integrity. However, these items have cost me 6$ - so there's no harm done
(i bought them for that particular reason anyway).

But the real cool part is that the scuttle works! The shave foam (I used Williams mug soap) was really rich and thick compared to the previous, non scuttle tries!

I know that in the near future, I will buy a scuttle from Ebay because
it simply makes the results that much better. :biggrin1: !

I just thought that maybe you guys would have a laugh ( a bit of humor).

:lol:

Last edited:
made my day :thumbup1:

:lol::lol:

shish- ka- bobbed your bowl and brush...

:lol:

:w00t: :001_huh: maybe a longer stick... and more drilled brushes... :blush:

:lol::lol:

I needed that!

Not quite sure I understand the point of the skewer... But the scuttle is an interesting idea. And of course, if it works for you, do it.

I agree,"Necessity is the mother of invention." As long as there is thought/reason behind the invention. I am speaking from experience, when I say I have created some god awful/terrible inventions in my lifetime. There have been many times, when after I did something without the thouroughness of thought, I had to ask myself, "Why did you do that?" I am not trying to be harsh or a smartass. I am pointing out that some of our/my ideas do not work very well, or perhaps should not have been done.

I am pointing out that some of our/my ideas do not work very well, or perhaps should not have been done.

Not quite sure I understand the point of the skewer... But the scuttle is an interesting idea. And of course, if it works for you, do it.

You are right dcrosso, and I was ready to accept that it could have been a total waste of time.... which was but still served a purpose. :wink2:

As for the skewer, you can see that the brush can be dried pointing downward, which is the proper way for all shave brushes.

Again, this brush is a joke because it cannot hold nor spread the lather properly.
You can see how the bristles are uneven - btw it was like that when new in box (of course not in bloom like in the pic).

The lather stays warm in the bowl, which improves the shave, and when finished, connect and let brush air dry.

Thanks everyone for watching.:wink2:

Actually, I use a glass bowl that you have to hold hot water and then put my shaving mug in it. I put both on an electric plate set to warm. Then I take the bowl of lather out of the bowl and use the hot water in the bowl for hot towels.

Actually, I use a glass bowl that you have to hold hot water and then put my shaving mug in it. I put both on an electric plate set to warm. Then I take the bowl of lather out of the bowl and use the hot water in the bowl for hot towels.

Very interesting, ackvil and thanks for sharing that.
But you know what, I saw on Ebay a ceramic scuttle and ceramic brush holder combo for cheap and it looks really neat, ergonomic and efficient!

I will treat myself to this for my b-day along with a badger silvertip.

Top Bottom