What's new

A few heretic truths about DE shaving

As you may know by now I have been shaving exclusively with a DE razor since 1980 so the various "complications" that many fine gents here get from this type of shaving sometimes amuse me....:biggrin1:

In reality DE shaving is not harder or more complicated than shaving w/ a disposable here are some SIMPLE truths :

1.You don't NEED to use a brush and shaving cream or soap...a can of shaving foam will do JUST fine and give you EXACTLY the same shave .

2.You don't need to cork the blade for it to become...smoother..it is as smooth as it gets and at its sharpest when brand new

3.You don't need to....toss the blade after 1 shave trust me it can give you at least 4 great shaves

4.You will also not win 1 million dollars if you manage to shave with the same blade 100 times :lol:

5.You don't need 30 minutes to shave ,you can do a 4 pass shave in 5-6 minutes tops

6.You don't need 20 minutes to...prep you beard using preshaves,oils and exotic contortions just take a nice HOT shower wash you face with soap and you will be fine...NOTHING beats a hot shower

7.Cold shaving is a joke :thumbup1: :biggrin1: nothing beats hot water...nothing will in the years to come...no hot water= no close shave....

8.Get you technique down and ALL blades become equal more or less,same thing with razors.

9.DE shaving is DE shaving it is NOT "wet shaving" all people that are using WATER when they shave are wet shavers.

10.A DE razor will give a MUCH closer shave than any modern razor simply because its blade exposure is larger.

11.Not all people can get a BBS shave without irritation simply because not all skin types can tolerate ATG shaving .

12.A Feather blade won't kill you,it is just another blade

13.There is no best blade..so in reality ALL talk about what the best blade is is...irrelevant :001_smile....blades are 100% a YMMV thing ....

14.You don't need to dip your blade in alcohol,blow dry it with a torch,nuke it,worship it,nurture it,sing lullabies to it or write poems about it in order for it to perform perfectly between shaves....just use it,rinse it without opening the razor and than tosh it away after 4-7 shaves....

15.You don't need to relather between passes,your face is already lubricated and just a drop of water will have the exact same effect as a second coat of lather

feel free to add more heretic views...

Last edited:
Boarchair -

Great list! Can't disagree with a thing except if I shaved in 5 minutes it would be weeper city. When you go pass 70 you get more shakes than you do at 40 with a hangover.

Best regards, Ron I

With my tremor getting more prominent it's like I have one of those vibrating razors..... for free!

"12.A Feather blade won't kill you,it is just another blade." What a waste of money, I gave them to all my enemies.

Necessary or not I like to re-lather. But can't argue with you otherwise. Good wisdom.

Good wisdom here as well....
cheap products work just as well as more high end products, if it works for you its a quality product

BBS is not the holy grail, a comfortable shave with no cuts, weepers or burn is.

"16. Wet shaving will save you money"

...In the last 8 months I have spent a shameful amount of money on products that will last me a decade or more!! And I regret none of it because every purchase has been of the utmost importance and I couldn't possibly survive without them :w00t:

OK, to me those look a lot more like OPINIONS that "truths". I can agree with some of them, but I'd say, in my experience, numbers 1 and 2 aren't truths, those are lies.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
This is ALL TRUE, providing we all have the same face/beard/comfort levels and ymmv is just a B&B fallacy (perpetrated by people who don't realize we are all the same shaver, strangely with different names).

Top Bottom