What's new

a couple technique questions

So I just got done with my first ever DE shave! I didn't hack my face up as bad as I thought I would have. A little razor burn under the nose, so I now know my angle was a bit steep there. So anyhow I was wondering what is the best way to apply the lather to my face? I am using Taylors Avocado, mixing it in a bowl, and then I tried putting it on in a circular stroke but it seemed to thin out, so then I just sorta lightly smeared it on and it seemed to stay thicker. Do I use the circular stroke if it is already mixed up? Also should I give my face a slpash of water before I reapply the cream for the south to north pass? The other question would be, how do I want to shave my cheekbone area? I have a angled face and I couldn't tell if I should shave along it or if I should just keep going north to south. Needless to say I didn't shave that area too well today. If the blade is only making contact in a thin area am I going to slice myself up or should I be alright as long as the angle is right? I also have one more question along the same lines, like many guys I have a scar on my chin, would I have better luck going along it the long way, or perpendicular to it? I have never figured the science of that out as I sometimes slice it with my cartridge razor. Sorry that is alot of questions for one posting. I thank you folks for all the info and getting me started in this insanity. Thank you! -Jeremiah

I can't answer all those questions, but here are my takes on some of them.

I whip up the lather in the bowl and the apply it to my face in circular motions to scrub the face, but then I also go back over it in a paint stroke fashion in order to even the lather out since it tends to be thicker at the edges of where the lather was applied.

I always rinse my face quickly prior to each re-application of lather. It is wet-shaving after all. For best results you really need your face to stay wet.

The other questions I'll leave to others because I'm not sure I could properly answer them.

Jeremiah,

Welcome and congrats on surviving your shave. You'll have to learn what you like when it comes to lathering up. I would advise you to take your time, paint, circle, pump, whatever to your heart's content. The more time you take, (a) the more pleasurable it is, and (b) the more time your whiskers will have to absorb water and make them easier to cut.

Definitely rinse your face between passes. Keep it wet!

Can't help you on the scar issue, but on the cheekbones I'll do one N-S pass and another 90 degrees from that (ear-nose direction).

Feel free to ask questions. It only gets better from here!

Jeremiah

Congratulations on your maiden voyage! I find that if your lather ''breaks'' it might mean its to wet or unincorporated enough. ''whip it whip it good'' as the old song says, also cut back a smidgen with the water, you can always add more.

jeremiah

I pull up on the skin above my cheek bones so that i pull that area up onto the flat part of my face. makes it easy to shave.

matthew

I gently "scrub" with my brush. It feels good to me.

I also try to scrub against the grain to ensure that I help to get the whiskers standing up.

I finish up with painting strokes in order to build up the foam thickness which acts like a cushion.

-joedy

I also have one more question along the same lines, like many guys I have a scar on my chin, would I have better luck going along it the long way, or perpendicular to it?

Jeremiah --

I, too, have a chin scar --on the right side of my chin, the result of a childhood injury. It is about 1/4" wide in the middle and looks like a cats eye, and is hairless. The 'cats eye' runs N-S. N-S passes 'with' the scar are no problem. Cross shaving E-W is another issue. This cross shave is what I'll address.

The DE/open blade shaving problem E-W with a scar like this is that the blade goes from whiskers (resistence), to hairless scar (no resistence), then back into whiskers (resistence again). I have no nerves or feeling in the scar tissue itself. The problem is that the blade leaves the whiskers, slides or skips across the scar, then suddenly - Bang, it abruptly hits the whiskers (and skin) on the far side of the scar. This is where you'll have trouble.

If you're not careful, you can cut yourself on the far side of the scar. A more common problem is that the razor edge can scrape or 'scuff' the skin on re-entry. This may result in some pretty serious razor burn, even without a cut.

Here's the solution to the scar problem: Shaving N-S, in the direction of the scar isn't a problem. When cross shaving E-W, shave 'up to' very near the scar. Stop and rinse razor. Stretch the skin, including the scar, VERY VERY TIGHTLY. Then, very deliberately shave through the scar, with a very uniform, steady motion. If you are attentive and deliberate you'll cleanly shave both sides of the scar with no problem and no irritation.

Hope this helps.

-- John Gehman

Thanks again all, and to BroJohn for such great instruction with the scar issue. Perhaps I had too much water for the first run with the cream, I don't know what kind of consistincy I shooting for. I will try less water tomorrow and see what happens. Is it possible to over whip the lather?
-Jeremiah

For best lather coverage, I apply the lather in circles--which also helps to plump up the whiskers. . .well, probably not really, but it sounds good:tongue: --then go over my whole face in up/down paint strokes to even out the lather.

My 2 cents.:biggrin:

Top Bottom