What's new

A bump in the road.

Well, the budget in my school division, at least at this time (the picture keeps improving), has me out of a job. The school division is playing musical chairs with people who have tenure, and they get priority, which I can understand. If I were a career teacher, good at what I did, and had a family/house/outstanding financial obligations, I would want to be protected as well...but I digress.

It's a rough time out there, for sure. What I have decided to do is go back to graduate school and finish things up. At this time, I am 27 going on 28, and have resigned myself to the fact that my living situation is going to change. I am going to wind up living with some friends that are not far from me at all with whom I've been close for quite some time now.

One of the things I have been assured of by the schools for which I have worked is that my impact on the student population has been palpable. They consider me a teacher of the highest order. I will not make that claim but I know I try just as hard as I can to do what I do.

I could leave VA and try to go someplace else, but the fact is that funds are limited and school divisions that would normally offer financial help with relocation are unable to do so because of their own lack of funds. Above that, however, is a sense of place. Where I work is the same county where I was born, raised, and educated. I live close to family and friends, and I think in times as uncertain as this, it's the principles we hold dearest to us that get us through. My strongest guiding principle is my sense of place. This is my home, and there is no other place like it.

I have faith in the future, that things will get better. So, if you see me on here more after June 18, you'll know why. :smile:

Last edited:
I see billboards all the time in Dallas for teachers... Apparently we need more edumacation down here in TX, so if you do decide to move, come on down.

Anyway, good luck with your master's program-hopefully by the time it's over we will be on the other side of this mess.

So sorry to hear about that, Shane. I wish you well in your endeavors.

We (the country) need good teachers. It's good to know that you've made a good start in the profession.

Carry on.

- Chris

Sorry to hear about that. It sounds like you have a good plan, though. Obviously you'd prefer it if the circumstances were different, but going back to school while you are still young makes sense.

Hang in there.

Shane, I admire your calm and optimistic spirit. My condolences on the job loss, and my best to you as you seek to make the situation work in your favor. :thumbup1:

Shane, I admire your calm and optimistic spirit. My condolences on the job loss, and my best to you as you seek to make the situation work in your favor. :thumbup1:
If I were to be depressed in the face of this, what example would I show to children? I can only move forward from here. Thanks for the words.

sorry to hear about your job mate, I think we could improve our schools alot if they paid and retained teachers basded on talent/ preformance and not experince/ tenure.

Top Bottom