What's new

965 blends?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
The other day I picked up an oz. of a "965" from bulk that the B&M owner thought to be discontinued. Not sure of the source. Are there more than one "965" blends popularly known other than My Mixture 965? Are they similar? One better than the other?

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Welcome to the gray area of pipe tobacco.

Dunhill 965 was available as a bulk tobacco until they lost their North American distributor in 2008. After that the tins were unavailable but being that bulk could be bought in...bulk... a lot of shops that don't sell a ton of tobacco still had supplies of it long after distribution ceased. After they sold out of that, there were other companies selling what they considered to be a match or clone of Dunhill's tobaccos, just like every Dominican or Nicaraguan cigar clams to taste like a Cuban. Sometimes shop owners would call it what it was called by the blender, 965 Match or Mr D's Mixture or something innocuous like that, other times the owner would just refill the same jar so he's customers wouldn't have to look for a new blend, when the new one was similar to the old one. Dunhill has just recently stared distributing bulk of a limited number of blends, and it is exactly the same as what they were selling before the North American drought. So basically what you could have is 4 year old MM965, a bulk clone, if it's not from a new shipment.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
SmokingPipes.com appears to have both tinned and bulk Dunhills MM965.

Have you tried McClelland's 965 match blend called 9 to 5 (925) it's every bit as good as 965 IMO and much more economical.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Have you tried McClelland's 965 match blend called 9 to 5 (925) it's every bit as good as 965 IMO and much more economical.
No, not yet. This is my first foray into 965, and the B&M has what I now believe to be the original at a very reasonable price, but I will certainly keep it in mind.

Top Bottom