What's new

8 Pass Shave Using 2 Merkur Slants

Today for some reason I thought that I should decide which of the two Merkur slant razors I should keep. When I bought them I could not decide (37c short handle or 39c long handle) so I just bought both of them (why decide when you don't have to).

The tools:

Merkur 37c short handle HD slant head razor
Merkur 39c long handle barber pole slant head razor
Personna super blue (hospital use) blades (fresh blades for this shave)

Truefitt & Hill Grafton cream (the only cream I know that can whip up an 8 pass lather without trying)
Da Vinci 290 globe handle brush

Looking at both razors on the counter sort of sent a shiver down my spine. Was I really going to do back to back 4 pass shaves with two slants? One razor after the other making the same pass twice? Oh the things I do for the B&B brethren.

I used my standard amount of cream (small ice cream sample spoon which holds about 1/8 tsp) in my larger stainless bowl to accommodate the large knot Da Vinci. I was not too surprised to see the lather over top the bowl when I was done whipping it up. Grafton (or any T&H cream) always makes much more lather then I need for a "normal" 4 pass shave so I was confident that there would be enough for 8 full passes (AND cleanup).

Now to find out if I have the nerve to take this insanity to the finish line......

First pass was N/S (top down) starting with the 39c long handle. Nice smooth pass with lots of feedback from the slant. I did not rinse and just lathered up again. Picked up the 37c and did another N/S pass. Not as much feedback as the 39c pretty much took care of everything easily. On the N/S pass I did not feel that there was much difference in the razors. Both fit my hand well and were easy to maneuver when held for the N/S orientation pass. Both razors held the proper angle and cut very well. No definitive winner on the N/S pass. No water rinse after this pass.

Second pass was E/N (ear to nose) starting with the 37c short handle as I wanted to switch up and start with the razor that was second on the first pass. The 37c handled nicely, no issues or problems with the shorter handle. Seemed to be very maneuverable around the jaw, across the chin, and below the lip. Once again I did not rinse but just applied another thick layer of lather with the Da Vinci for the second E/N pass with the long handle slant. The 39c is a little heaver so it required a bit more hand control to keep it at the proper angle when moving horizontally across my face. The longer handle did not feel as nimble as the shorter handle did. I would give a slight edge to the 37c on this E/N pass. No rinse after this pass

Third pass was N/E (nose to ear) starting with the 39c to alternate who was first once again. There was very little feedback coming from the 39c. I was not surprised as this was my FIFTH pass. The longer handle was very comfortable going back from the nose to ear and from throat to neck. The 39c is a very well balanced razor No rise this time either, just applied another thick layer of lather for the short handle slant. The 37c zipped through this pass with little effort. It seemed to follow the contours of the jaw and chin a little better going horizontal then the longer handle 39c did. Once again a very slight edge goes to the 37c. I did rinse after this 6th pass and I can tell you I could have stopped shaving a while ago as there was nothing to feel as far as whiskers

Forth pass S/N (bottom up). Starting with the 39c long handle this time. The longer handle was easy to hold on to inverted. I am more used to longer handle razors as I shaved with a super adjustable for over 40 years and my preference is to the longer handle razors. Good feed back from the long handle slant as this pass is ATG for most of my beard growth. Rinsed this time also to check for any stubble (yea like there would be any after 7 passes with a slant). Lathered up again with the Da Vinci and amazingly there was still lather in the bowl and the brush was holding at least 2 more passes of lather. The 37c going up did not seem to be as stable in the hand as the longer handle 39c. It was not "difficult" but there was a noticeable difference in how it performed against the long handle. The short slant required a little more effort to keep the proper blade angle shaving with up strokes. On this pass I would give the edge to the 39c long handle as it was easier to control inverted. Rinsed after this final full pass to check for any remaining stubble

Clean up passes. Had enough lather in the bowl so I did a full 9th face lather and grabbed some out of the brush in my off hand. Started with the 39c and went around the back of my jaw where there is always something remaining. Changing to the 37c for the same area, moving lather from my hand to my face switching back between both razors and searching for anything that needed more attention. Back and forth between the razors 8-10 times on the throat, chin, and jaw. For the quick short clean up of small areas I would give the edge to the shorter handled 37c. A little bit more maneuverable than the long handle

Eight full passes and plenty of cleanup passes and I am very cleanly shaved. If there is a whisker remaining on my face it is hiding in fear somewhere out of sight.

No razor burn
No weepers
No nicks or cuts

Very smooth comfortable shave from both of these slants. Applied Clubman Musk and even after "the mother of all shaves" there was only the slightest sting in a couple of places on my face and neck. Not bad considering that I typically only do 3 passes when I use my slants.

So which slant was the winner?

Let me see if I can find a coin to flip as they are both winners in this match up.

proxy.php

Last edited:
Nice write-up, turtle. I'm learning to like longer handled razors as well for S-N ATG passes. Maybe I should consider the 39C in the future.

Nice write-up, turtle. I'm learning to like longer handled razors as well for S-N ATG passes. Maybe I should consider the 39C in the future.

I've always liked longer handle razors as I have used the Gillette super adjustable (black beauty) for most of my life

On the related note. How's the grip between those 2? Do you hold them differently when shaving?

Yes, I do have to use a different grip for the different length. It's not that hard. Just have to adjust to keep the proper blade angle to make sure it keeps cutting the whiskers

Is it my imagination, or does the 37C seems to have more slant than the 39C?

Maybe it's just the camera angle.

Camera angle and the fact that the 39c drop on the far side is sort of obscured by the AS bottle behind it.

This shot shows the 39c with more angle (also a camera allusion)

proxy.php

Nice write up! In my mind, I don't understand why someone would have 30 different safety bar razors...but I can completely understand why someone would want a safety bar, open comb, slant and straight. Or maybe a few of each...

This has been asked before, but I'll ask again: Besides Merkur, what other companies make slants? Modern or Vintage

Nice write up! In my mind, I don't understand why someone would have 30 different safety bar razors...but I can completely understand why someone would want a safety bar, open comb, slant and straight. Or maybe a few of each...

This has been asked before, but I'll ask again: Besides Merkur, what other companies make slants? Modern or Vintage

Im sure Hoffritz (think i spelled it right) do a slant and have seen some posted on this forum before.

Having used both the 37c & 39c, I've found both to be exceptional razors that provide a VERY close shave.
My preference is the long-handled 39c. The length and weight 'feel' right in my hand. I had been using the 38c (barber pole solid bar) prior to my slant experience, so my bias may have been slanted toward the larger handle. :001_tongu

have had the same decision to make and the 39c won out by a hair but very narrowly. I find the 37c really too short for my taste although I would like to find a vintage one. I find the 39c too heavy and the barberpole handle does not fit many stands.

I really like the Muhle R41 heft and size which is bigger than 37c but nicer to hold than 39c. So idealy there would be middle ground.

I also find the barberpole spiral pattern not nice to hold and the overall deign ugly. The 37 has the better old school design, but again, too small.

my 2 c

I found this very handy, thanks Turtle.

I couldnt decide between the 2, i chose the 39c, all my razors are short handles, and i already have a 34c and would prefer something with a different handle.

For performance above and beyond the call of B&B duty you are hereby awarded the honorary title of "Sure Shaves A Lot".

Thanks turtle!!

Hi Turtle, I just followed your link in my thread. Thanks for sharing great information and a very nice way of putting the information together. I'm just going to have another read!

Top Bottom