What's new

8 months - don't give up.

I looked up my records. I started the journey in February and have had a string of issues.

It has been depressing reading of people who have it down pat in three weeks or so.

But! I have finally got it! Two straight weeks of low irritation, DFS shaves.

A number of factors have been required along with lingering worries when things have been pointed out. I have not had an unhealthy facination with BBS results, i don't need to stop using arko and only shave 2 passes with the grain. Dropping against the grain passes is not a solution to all my problems.

The missing piece fell into place when I realized that despite conventional wisdom, I did not need a with the grain pass. 8 months i did them with little real results and enough extra blade on skin to push my face over the edge for irritation. Probably because I shave every day rather than every second for example. This means i need an agressive razor so that i get through more on a pass.

Current routine: derby or arko soap. Gillette slim on 5. Shark stainless blade (have also tried rapira platinum lux with similar results). 1 pass cross grain (i leave the neck after this). One pass hybrid cross/ against grain. Against grain touchups. DFS face and CCS neck.

I am extatic at these developments.

Well done sir! Like you, I've found what has been working very well for me. The biggest thing for me was to stop chasing BBS and just enjoy the shave.

I'm still learning technique, but I haven't had any serious nicks, just the occasional small pimple that got in the way.

I did push my shave a little further last time and ended with a bit more irritation than usual, but didn't last long.

I started my journey in March, so I've been at it about the same as you. It really was frustrating some days though.

My current setup is the Rockwell 6S on plate 3 and a Gillette 7 O'clock Super Stainless. I've got 6 shaves on my current blade, the most I've gotten yet, and I think I can get a few more out of it.

Looking forward to hearing more from you

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Congratulations on your success and persistence!

I'd advise continuing to try out different blades, as well. You're doing great, but it might get even better!

Shaving is quite individual! I've been shaving ATG pretty much exclusively for the last 35 years or so, in the shower without soap using either an injector or some cartridge. Decent results, but nothing to write home about.

Tried a straight the other week (not sharp enough!) and using soap with the cartridge with two passes, and still have to start against the grain or I end up with horrible razor burn. Was using way too much pressure with the soap, all that water in the shower makes a big difference I guess. Got a decent shave with soap and very light pressure with a new cartridge, but I'm hoping a DE will pull less.

We won't mention disposables, it's against the Geneva convention on torture....

Peter.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Congradulations! Don't feel bad about it taking a bit to getting the hang of it and what works for you! I truly believe that most people who say they have it down pat in a couple of weeks that there may be a bit of self aggrandizing going on. I have found, if I am honest, that it is a learning process where each shave is unique, and there is always room for growth and improvement, and errors, even after a couple of years. Am I better than when I started? Absolutely, I rarely have a bad shave, and if I do it is mainly due to a shift in routine or trying new equipment/products.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I have been shaving since 1961. I never stop learning.

Yes! An example for me. I've been participating in OCtober. For the first time this week I tried a Voskhod blade in my Fatip Grande. I loaded up a fresh Voskhod blade and used the same no pressure technique I do with the GSB's I have been using letting the blade do the work. When I applied alum there was virtually no sting what so ever. However it was a tuggy shave and the post shave was itchy and turned my face red. Day 2 with the voskhod was no different with virtually no sting when applying alum. I switched out to a GSB and it bought back somewhat under control. I haven't had this issue with my Fatip open combs using Bolzano, GSB, and 7O'clock yellow's. Not ready to give up on Voskhod, concede it was the blades fault, or what equipment might work better to learn the blade. Side note: I have a preference for a steep angle shave mostly.

Last edited:
Yes! An ticipating in OCtober. For the first time this week I tried a Voskhod blade in my Fatip Grande. I loaded up a fresh Voskhod blade and used the same no pressure technique I do with the GSB's I have been using letting the blade do the work. When I applied alum there was virtually no sting what so ever. However it was a tuggy shave and the post shave was itchy and turned my face red. Day 2 with the voskhod was no different with virtually no sting when applying alum. I switched out to a GSB and it bought back somewhat under control. I haven't had this issue with my Fatip open combs using Bolzano, GSB, and 7O'clock yellow's. Not ready to give up on Voskhod, concede it was the blades fault, or what equipment might work better to learn the blade. Side note: I have a preference for a steep angle shave mostly.
'
I will say i have a steeper angle than most. I don't 'ride the cap'. This isprobably a second reason, besides agression, why the slim works for me.

It may be because most of my blades are on the 'good' end but i can't tell huge differences between them. The exceptions being two really bad blades - dorco and derby. Also seven o'clock yellow are appreciably sharper than the rest of the range.

Voskhod seem to be nothing special to me.

Congrats on you success. As others here have said, it's a journey without end, it just gets better and better.
As you have discovered there is more than one path, so continue to explore.:thumbup1:

Top Bottom