What's new

7 bucks for a cuppa joe from....

The biggest joke about this is not the price, its calling the Starbucks clientele "coffee connoisseurs." Once they moved to serving "Pike Place" all the time I lost all respect for their coffee. I honestly can't believe people buy that garbage. I may still go in for a latte from time to time, but when I want decent coffee on the go, I visit Peet's instead.

Last edited:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
The kicker is that this is $7 for just Joe. The "four-bucks" name was for lattes's and mochas. This is just black coffee. It was $40 a pound. I used to be at Starbucks a lot buy my job has an espresso machine. Saves me a ton of dough.

Good point. No need for a barista. That should increase the number of applicants for the position of burgerista at McDonalds, since the qualifications seem to be the same.

ouch

I've been using one of the clever coffee drippers at work recently. Makes a nice, hot cup, and cleanup is a breeze.

$CCD.jpg

Don't poo poo Micky D's coffee.

They will fill a thermos for the price of a large coffee ($1-$2 depending on the franchise).

At that price (5 cups in a thermos) it beats some of the stuff that passes for coffee at most sit down (and stick to the booth) breakfast dives.

Got one thermos of Micky D's black just about every day for the 3 months were were traveling. I'd make the first coffee of the day in our Chemex then when that needed to be "removed" Micky D's was a great stop for "relief" and a thermos for the road.

I don't think I've ever had Micky D's coffee in a cup.

If they small-batch roasted, grind, and serve right there on site, that would be a $7 cup of coffee. Come to think of it, wouldn't it be awesome to go to a coffee place like that?

There is a place in my area just like that. They started doing just that more than 20 years ago and are still going strong. But they still don't charge that much.

Honestly, the comments in this thread make me far more sad than the fact that Starbucks managed to get their hands on a Geisha lot, and is selling for what it's worth.

What's insulting, honestly, is the fact that so many people who enjoy a rather high quality of life don't place equal value on the work done by others to bring your "cup of joe" to market.

COFFEE IS NOT COMMODITY. Even so-called "commodity" coffee takes a tremendous amount of work long before it reaches the roaster alone.

Before you judge, consider actual value rather than perceived value. How much is your time and labor worth? Is someone else's time and labor worth less? If so, can you explain why?

Iiee, chigaimasu...

Coffee is a commodity, and the Starbucks experience is most definitely a commodity.

Furthermore, sometimes I find the more extended version of the critique disturbing, when Bittman wrote the McDonald's oatmeal column, there were lots of people who were talking about how arrogant Bittman was, and how convenient the oatmeal would be, and how awful cooking is (or their specific skills)--when the point was, outside rather narrow circumstances, making your own oatmeal will always be faster, drastically cheaper, healthier, and more "convenient". As it happens, McDonald was simply copying Starbucks, who found a dead easy way to make a buck by charging $3? for a few cents worth of oats, water, power, and a few quick movements by the service worker.

This is $7 for 12oz of hot liquid. You could buy servings of Lao Banzhang tea for that, theoretically. How much do you want to bet that the LBZ would beat that coffee for most people, if it some skilled tea-barrista served it to them? What are the chances you'd even get it properly made? Or that people would pay $7 because it's really good rather than $7 because only the best for numero uno! Moreover, when we're talking $7 a drink, that's into theobroma territory like mexican hot chocolate. @ $7 a cup, it makes sense to pay someone to roast your coffee properly.

Is Geisha worth a premium price? No doubt. A couple weeks ago I picked up a micro lot of Geisha from Blue Bottle. I think it was $25 for 150g. That was enough for 80oz of brewed coffee off my v60. Was it worth it? Oh god yes. Probably one of the best cups I've ever had. Just unreal. Would I pay the same price for Starbucks Geisha? No. That's not to say the price they are charging is out of line.

Ben

ouch

This is $7 for 12oz of hot liquid. You could buy servings of Lao Banzhang tea for that, theoretically. How much do you want to bet that the LBZ would beat that coffee for most people, if it some skilled tea-barrista served it to them? What are the chances you'd even get it properly made? Or that people would pay $7 because it's really good rather than $7 because only the best for numero uno! Moreover, when we're talking $7 a drink, that's into theobroma territory like mexican hot chocolate. @ $7 a cup, it makes sense to pay someone to roast your coffee properly.

A while back, I posted a link about the restaurant BLT charging $7 for a cup of tea. It was from a teabag. :scared:

Is a cup of hot liquid worth $7? It certainly can be. Why not? A few years ago I was served a glass of wine valued at more than seven hundred dollars a glass, and believe me, it was worth it. But I think it would be safe to say that unlike your aged Lao Banzhang or an award winning oolong, that $7 teabag was not only not worth it, it was priced insultingly. I'm no expert whatsoever on coffee, although I appreciate a good cup, and have tried some home roasted blends from friends for which I would happily pay $7 a cup. I am, however, confident enough to proclaim that if there's a cup of coffee worth $7, it's a fair bet that I'm not going to be getting it from Starbucks.

Yup.

I prefer my city's small coffee houses that roast and grin coffee on site and sell a large cup of regular coffee for just $3!

Tastes WAY better than a Starbuck regular blend coffee which I find to taste too strong tasting. Even adding milk does not help dilute the taste (in Canada, at least).

That being said, I might give a try to Starbuck's premium coffee, just to see if it's worth it and heavenly tasting, but I guess it's most likely a rip-off.

At that point, why not buy a Blue Mountain coffee bag from a real coffee shop, and just brew it at home? Way better and less expensive for a premium coffee.

We're certainly are the ones to judge bad coffee and coffee value!
Coffee's YMMV as well. There are certainly those that actually like Starbucks whether those that don't like Starbucks understand or not -- it's really the same as any other subjective topic.

I don't care for Starbucks but to each his own.

I honestly can't believe people buy that garbage. I may still go in for a latte from time to time, but when I want decent coffee on the go, I visit Peet's instead.
I honestly can't believe that people buy Starbucks lattes -- even "from time to time" -- but it's only what the person actually drinking the coffee thinks of it that matters in the end. Enjoy what you enjoy. Others will enjoy what they enjoy. Again, YMMV. "One person's garbage" and all that...

Last edited:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
For $7, the least they can do is put it in a real china mug, not a paper cup.

Smart marketing ... this will make the $4 coffee look inexpensive by comparison.

Last time I went to a Starbucks, I used their restroom.

Well, that explains the "homeless guy towelling himself off in the restroom ambience" quip from Jimmy Kimmel.

I don't dislike Starbucks. Pikes is as good or better than what you get in most "sit down coffee shops" like IHOP or Denny's.
It's not worth what they are asking for it, but neither are most places.

We had an intersection damaged by the wind last year. It was quite cold, and the guy I was working with had already been on the job for 6 hours by the time I got the call to provide backup, so it was 3am and this guy was running on no sleep.
I stopped in at IHOP to get a cup to go for the guy... it was $2 or $2.50 for that stinking little 8oz cup of stale coffee. Would have gone to McD's, but they weren't open.
At Starbucks, I can get a 20oz Pikes and a coffee cake for about $5.

I don't dislike them, but I won't go out of my way to stop there.

I've been using one of the clever coffee drippers at work recently. Makes a nice, hot cup, and cleanup is a breeze.

View attachment 289480

They are truly wonderful single cup coffee makers. (I know that's not your pic, but doesn't the brew look a tad thin?)

For $7, the least they can do is put it in a real china mug, not a paper cup.

Smart marketing ... this will make the $4 coffee look inexpensive by comparison.

Well, that explains the "homeless guy towelling himself off in the restroom ambience" quip from Jimmy Kimmel.

:lol: :ouch1:

I don't dislike Starbucks. Pikes is as good or better than what you get in most "sit down coffee shops" like IHOP or Denny's.
It's not worth what they are asking for it, but neither are most places.

We had an intersection damaged by the wind last year. It was quite cold, and the guy I was working with had already been on the job for 6 hours by the time I got the call to provide backup, so it was 3am and this guy was running on no sleep.
I stopped in at IHOP to get a cup to go for the guy... it was $2 or $2.50 for that stinking little 8oz cup of stale coffee. Would have gone to McD's, but they weren't open.
At Starbucks, I can get a 20oz Pikes and a coffee cake for about $5.

I don't dislike them, but I won't go out of my way to stop there.

I got a Starbucks within a 3 minute walk of my house. If I'm lazy and didn't get around to roasting my coffee, I'll stop in there on the way to work (between 5:30 - 6 AM) to get a cup of "Hows your Day Going? smile smile". I'll probably flip out one day.

-jim

You know I just don't get it... people all upset that a coffee shop is selling coffee for 7 bucks a cup. No one seems to complain when a bar or restaurant sells a beer for 5 or 7 bucks, and that beer is probably worth $1.00 to $1.50. People on this board pay big dollars for certain grooming products that we all know really are not worth the price, but we still justify it as a treat to ourselves.

Obviously no one is forcing anyone to buy that coffee.

Top Bottom