What's new

'46 Gillette Milord vs '47 Super Speed

I have a 47 SS and a 41 Ranger Tech (which I believe has the same head as the 46 Milord). My perception is that the Ranger is slightly more aggressive. I might have to do a head-to-head shave for the fun of it.

This was my understanding as well and I've been shaving with these two, most of the time that is. Like I was saying earlier, my '46 Milord while it looks correct, the blade gap may be off quite a bit, it shave very mild.

I know the quality control back in the day with a 'dollar' razor wasn't aviation quality but there were pretty good. I truthfully enjoy shaving with these old Gillettes, cause I am from back in the day.

Thanks for the reply 'tank'. ;)

Since you're happy, I won't bore you with anymore of this SE talk! :001_huh:

LOL naw, not boring at all. Back when I was using the single edge blade, they weren't all that sharp, and those made today? Beats me, I haven't tried any. Whatever Schick injector made in the early 60's is what I used. Heck, for all I know it could have been an EverSharp, it shaved alright but I sure did go thru lots of blades, they didn't hold an edge worth a darn, and you really had to pay attention to alignment, now those were wicked when out of alignment.

But the Gillette razors I've acquired and the blades I've collected, I'm quite satisfied with my shaves of today. ;)

and those made today?

The SE blades I use are just as sharp as any DE blade I've used and are better because they are thicker than DE blades.

The first time I shaved with anything other than a cartridge was in 2013 at the age of 45. I started with the Merkur 23/180, bought the ASD2, ATT M1, R1, and H1. Then I bought a prewar Tech and it was an instant hit. Of all the TTO's I've used, the 48-50 SS was my favorite along with the 48-50 Aristocrat. I learned how to get a blood free and irritation free BBS face and head shave everytime and it became my standard with any razor and I simply don't accept anything less.

With DE's I shaved WTG, XTG, and ATG. With SE's I attack every area of my beard ATG only. The sharp thicker blade allows me to do this with ease and comfort.

I can get BBS with any razor if I put in the work, SE blades are easier on my skin and the results last longer.

I've used a NEW SC for about 6 months straight for face and head shaves, BBS everytime. It's more efficient than the Tech and TTO's, and is one of the best razors ever made, but there are Schick, GEM, and AC razors that are better and the main reason is the thicker more rigid blade.

I was born in the late 60's, I was introduced to cartridges when I started shaving, didn't know anything about BBS, DFS, CCS, or SAS. Now I only know BBS! :001_cool:

I've learned that razors simply hold blades. The least amount of blade exposure you have, the more pressure you need to apply. As you use razors with more blade exposure, less pressure is needed. It takes time to learn each razor fully. Shaving takes skill. Razors are not complicated, people are complicated.

There's a learning curve with SE razors but it can be learned just as you learned to use DE razors, you just have to give it the same time and adapt.

Close to 60 years ago, my barber was trying to convince me to start shaving with a straight razor, just for the fun of it. I fooled around with it for a couple of weeks and the skills needed and the time that it takes was a drag. And then we talked about keeping the razor sharp, shave ready and that was the straw, the last straw. At that age in my life shaving was part of the everyday need / routine, and frankly I didn't want to waste anymore time than needed. I was really interested in sex. :thumbup:

And now? I like to shave, I have the time but my range of motion and my beginning to falter hand makes me want to stay where I am and to do. It's like using Mitchell's Wool Fat everyday and Old Spice afterwards. ;) I like it and I can do it and that suits me just fine.. I've used single edge injectables, and I've used the single edge blade, both were doable ways to keep my face clean but now? My interest has waned.. It looks like Super Speeds and Aristocrats till there ain't no more. :)

I always enjoy and am entertained with the commentary that I am right and if your results are not like mine it's due to a lack of experience followed by, don't take the comments the wrong way...…:a29:

Well, how could such a straight forward statement be taken the wrong way.:a14:

Close to 60 years ago, my barber was trying to convince me to start shaving with a straight razor, just for the fun of it. I fooled around with it for a couple of weeks and the skills needed and the time that it takes was a drag. And then we talked about keeping the razor sharp, shave ready and that was the straw, the last straw. At that age in my life shaving was part of the everyday need / routine, and frankly I didn't want to waste anymore time than needed. I was really interested in sex. :thumbup:

And now? I like to shave, I have the time but my range of motion and my beginning to falter hand makes me want to stay where I am and to do. It's like using Mitchell's Wool Fat everyday and Old Spice afterwards. ;) I like it and I can do it and that suits me just fine.. I've used single edge injectables, and I've used the single edge blade, both were doable ways to keep my face clean but now? My interest has waned.. It looks like Super Speeds and Aristocrats till there ain't no more. :)

If you want heavier, I recommend the 2nd generation British Aristocrat and Aristocrat Jr, the early ones with the thick baseplate. They basically have the same specs(blade exposure) as the 48-50 US Aristocrat, the baseplate was produced differently. The later British Aristocrat are stamped like the US and have mire blade gap.

If you want heavier, I recommend the 2nd generation British Aristocrat and Aristocrat Jr, the early ones with the thick baseplate. They basically have the same specs(blade exposure) as the 48-50 US Aristocrat, the baseplate was produced differently. The later British Aristocrat are stamped like the US and have m0re blade gap.

These may have to wait, I'm hot and heavy into a "Red Tip" at present and should I win? I'll be broke till next pay day. :001_302:

Both great little razors but I can't tell the difference btwn them with the exception that the Milord sure is better dresser.
IMG_3921.JPG

Top Bottom