What's new

'46 Gillette Milord vs '47 Super Speed

Do any who've tried both, feel that the '47 Super Speed to be more efficient? Both to my eye are the same, with the exception of the '46 Milord's base plate "not" having a crease in it.

Let me know. ;)

Are you referring to the crease at the safety bar? If so, that's the 48-50 baseplate with the 40-47 blade aligning bar, there's more blade gap.

A '47 SS with the crease is actually an Aristocrat Jr.

proxy.php

I find 48-50 TTO's more efficient than 40-47 TTO's.

Are you referring to the crease at the safety bar? If so, that's the 48-50 baseplate with the 40-47 blade aligning bar, there's more blade gap.

proxy.php

The '46 Milord does not have a crease at the safety bar but the '47 Super Speed does. My '46 Milord seems to be 'less' efficient than does the '47 Super Speed. Do any agree with my findings. :)

My thoughts are that the '46 Milord might be in need of adjustment.

proxy.php

No a '47 SS with the crease is actually a SS that is not the correct razor for that case.

Only recently have I found this to be true. My daily shaves are mostly with a Super Speed of one kind or another or an Aristocrat.

Here are both 47 only SS variants one without the creased safety bar and one with.
47ss1.jpg

The 47 Aristocrat Jr is not a SS and the visual distinguishing characteristic is the rounded collar.

No a '47 SS with the crease is actually a SS that is not the correct razor for that case.

There's a '47 with a crease and a '47 without a crease. Are you saying the one without the crease is the Aristocrat Jr? Or is there another TTO that's different that is the Jr?

Here is a 47 Super Speed with the creased safety bar next to a 47 Aristocrat Jr styled Milord.
47ss3.jpg
The only difference between the 47 Aristocrat Jr styled Milord and 47 Aristocrat Jr is the plating.

Here is a side view of all and 47 and up Milord side by side so you can see the handle and collars on each.
47ss4.jpg

There's a '47 with a crease and a '47 without a crease. Are you saying the one without the crease is the Aristocrat Jr? Or is there another TTO that's different that is the Jr?
Different than the Jr. The collar is how you tell visually. They share the same head style but that is it. They shave completely different from each other.

Do any who've tried both, feel that the '47 Super Speed to be more efficient? Both to my eye are the same, with the exception of the '46 Milord's base plate "not" having a crease in it.

Let me know. ;)

46 Ranger Tech or Ranger Tech styled Milord is more efficient than a 47 and up SS. The 47 Aristocrat Jr is somewhere between both difference being it is a milder razor than both the SS and Ranger Tech. The 47 only SS without the notched center bar and uncreased safety bar like a 46 or earlier Gillette is more akin to the Ranger Techs, the 47 only without the notched center bar and creased safety bar is more akin to the 47 and up Super Speeds.

I've owned them all and shaved them, these are my conclusions based upon that.

46 Ranger Tech or Ranger Tech styled Milord is more efficient than a 47 and up SS. The 47 Aristocrat Jr is somewhere between both difference being it is a milder razor than both the SS and Ranger Tech. The 47 only SS without the notched center bar and uncreased safety bar like a 46 or earlier Gillette is more akin to the Ranger Techs, the 47 only without the notched center bar and creased safety bar is more akin to the 47 and up Super Speeds.

I've owned them all and shaved them, these are my conclusions based upon that.

I came to some of my own conclusions base on the ones that I had. The only difference between my '40 Milady tech, '47 SS and '47 Aristocrat was the handle, same goes for the 48-50 SS and Aristocrat. They stamped out thousands of these razors, if there was a difference, I would say it was tolerance issues, but what do I know!

Also, I know that the TTO's without endcaps get tweaked real easily from over tightening.

I don't know of any advertising of one head being different from the other in the same years. If you say they're different, I believe they are different for you!

In any event, I've abandoned DE razors for the far superior SE razors that I use now, so I'll leave you to the DE's...

If this are the case, then my '46 Milord is in need of adjustment. My shaves with '46 Milord are less efficient than with the '47 no notch, with crease and '48-'50 with notch and the '48-'50 being a touch more efficient.

I came to some of my own conclusions base on the ones that I had. The only difference between my '40 Milady tech, '47 SS and '47 Aristocrat was the handle, same goes for the 48-50 SS and Aristocrat. They stamped out thousands of these razors, if there was a difference, I would say it was tolerance issues, but what do I know!

Also, I know that the TTO's without endcaps get tweaked real easily from over tightening.

I don't know of any advertising of one head being different from the other in the same years. If you say they're different, I believe they are different for you!

In any event, I've abandoned DE razors for the far superior SE razors that I use now, so I'll leave you to the DE's...

Blasphemy I say. :) I don't remember shet anymore but I do know that in another life I've used some of those Schicks with the SE blade and with the injector blade. Back in the days when I tended to cut my upper lip all the time. ;) I'm perfectly satisfied with my Super Speeds and Aristocrats.

Thank You guys for your posts and response here. What a great group of guys you are.

There is no way a SS or Aristocrat are even remotely alike shave wise. Either one of your razors was out of alignment or had some issue or you shave or shaved past tense like you were afraid of your razors when you did. Don't take comment the wrong way I know when I first started DE shaving I was apprehensive about some razors and as such didn't get a good shave out of them because I didn't know how to use them correctly. A razor that I should have gotten closer or BBS shaves with only gave meh results akin to a poorer in comparison performer. Once I got past that all of a sudden those razors no longer gave meh results.

I'll give the Milady being close to a SS. I just shaved with my 40 Milady yesterday and besides the handle it really does closely resemble a 40s style super speed except it is little bit more efficient. 40s style Super Speeds at least for me regardless of blade pull hair in a very distinct manner when I shave with them especially on an ATG pass. That tug is where the Milady and SS differ for me.

If this are the case, then my '46 Milord is in need of adjustment. My shaves with '46 Milord are less efficient than with the '47 no notch, with crease and '48-'50 with notch and the '48-'50 being a touch more efficient.

The other factor is the handle fully tightened. If it is snug but can be turned a little more it isn't and the razor will be more aggressive than it should be. Not that that is a bad thing but if it is too loose the blade chatters and that is no good when you have that. You also change the angle of attack which partially determines efficiency and if it chatters that also reduces that.

There is no way a SS or Aristocrat are even remotely alike shave wise. Either one of your razors was out of alignment or had some issue or you shave or shaved past tense like you were afraid of your razors when you did. Don't take comment the wrong way I know when I first started DE shaving I was apprehensive about some razors and as such didn't get a good shave out of them because I didn't know how to use them correctly. A razor that I should have gotten closer or BBS shaves with only gave meh results akin to a poorer in comparison performer. Once I got past that all of a sudden those razors no longer gave meh results.

That's pretty funny!

The only difference between my 48-50 SS and 48-50 Aristocrat is the handle, the Aristocrat has a bigger heavier handle! That's a fact! I BBS'ed my face and head consistently with both. They were both my favorites and I still have a couple of copies of each. The weight difference gives people the illusion that they are different but the heads are exactly the same.

Gillette mass produced razors. As far as I can tell, they made one baseplate for all the TTO razors from 40-47 and put different handles and plating on them. Then from 48-50 they increased the blade gap on all the TTO's made those years. In '51 the blade gap increased again. The black handled SS in the 60's blade gap decreased to less than the 48-50, and has the same exact head as Lady Gillette's made the same year. I've had duplicates of pretty much every Gillette TTO and came to these conclusions!

TTO's are nothing more than a postwar Tech with butterfly doors! If you take one apart, which I did to several, the Tech cap will fit on the baseplate and it will shave exactly like a postwar Tech.

The differences are noticeable but very small over the years.

There's nothing wrong with any of the many copies of TTO's I have or had, or my technique!

The 48-50 SS, Aristocrat and postwar Tech were my favorite razors before switching to SE razors!

That's pretty funny!

The only difference between my 48-50 SS and 48-50 Aristocrat is the handle, the Aristocrat has a bigger heavier handle! That's a fact! I BBS'ed my face and head consistently with both. They were both my favorites and I still have a couple of copies of each. The weight difference gives people the illusion that they are different but the heads are exactly the same.

Gillette mass produced razors. As far as I can tell, they made one baseplate for all the TTO razors from 40-47 and put different handles and plating on them. Then from 48-50 they increased the blade gap on all the TTO's made those years. In '51 the blade gap increased again. The black handled SS in the 60's blade gap decreased to less than the 48-50, and has the same exact head as Lady Gillette's made the same year. I've had duplicates of pretty much every Gillette TTO and came to these conclusions!

TTO's are nothing more than a postwar Tech with butterfly doors! If you take one apart, which I did to several, the Tech cap will fit on the baseplate and it will shave exactly like a postwar Tech.

The differences are noticeable but very small over the years.

There's nothing wrong with any of the many copies of TTO's I have or had, or my technique!

The 48-50 SS, Aristocrat and postwar Tech were my favorite razors before switching to SE razors!

Maybe a fact for you. You don't make high end razors and lower end priced razors that perform the same. That would be like someone like ATT putting out a $20 razor that is exactly the same as a $100+ dollar razor. You could make a $20 razor that outperforms those $$$ razors but that would go against the whole business model. The amount money the razor costs isn't beholden to how the base plate or cap / doors are shaped to deliver better performance. The razor manufacturers make you pay more for something that shouldn't cost more from a manufacturing standpoint. Believe what you want but if someone takes a SS and Aristocrat loads both with a blade and does the close up rube goldberg diagrams some people like to post you'll see there is a difference.I don't discount that your experience with these razors are valid just the conclusions as to why is all.

If it ain't your razors or technique then you are not shaving with enough pressure or passes then.

Maybe a fact for you. You don't make high end razors and lower end priced razors that perform the same. That would be like someone like ATT putting out a $20 razor that is exactly the same as a $100+ dollar razor. You could make a $20 razor that outperforms those $$$ razors but that would go against the whole business model. The amount money the razor costs isn't beholden to how the base plate or cap / doors are shaped to deliver better performance. The razor manufacturers make you pay more for something that shouldn't cost more from a manufacturing standpoint. Believe what you want but if someone takes a SS and Aristocrat loads both with a blade and does the close up rube goldberg diagrams some people like to post you'll see there is a difference.I don't discount that your experience with these razors are valid just the conclusions as to why is all.

If it ain't your razors or technique then you are not shaving with enough pressure or passes then.

Gillette really has you fooled!

Blasphemy I say. :) I don't remember shet anymore but I do know that in another life I've used some of those Schicks with the SE blade and with the injector blade. Back in the days when I tended to cut my upper lip all the time. ;) I'm perfectly satisfied with my Super Speeds and Aristocrats.

The 48-50 SS, Aristocrat, and postwar Tech were my favorites before switching to SE razors.

An E2 injector is a favorite but the GEM MMOC is more efficient and higher on my list. The ATT SE1 artist club razor is my grail razor.

SE razors are not to be feared if used properly. Many work best with a str8 razor like shallow angle and a lot less pressure than used with a DE.

Since you're happy, I won't bore you with anymore of this SE talk! :001_huh:

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I have a 47 SS and a 41 Ranger Tech (which I believe has the same head as the 46 Milord). My perception is that the Ranger is slightly more aggressive. I might have to do a head-to-head shave for the fun of it.

Top Bottom