What's new

.45 acp or 9mm in a 1911.

I think 45 in a 1911 is perfect, I still debate what caliber is my favorite though. Some platforms are iconic, now one other said 38 super also, I would have to agree just from the history. A 9 mm though is quite popular, the. Bul double stacks are very well regarded. Tough call.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
🤔 I still want that SA-35. Swear I'd buy one if seen.

Full size 1911 in 9mm would have weight, bulk, power downgrade, not enough shots and archaic design. 😉 Of course, all guns are cool range toys anyway.

Now those micro 9mm commanderettes are a different story...

AA

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Variation of the CZ-75
@OkieStubble DA/SA that can be carried c0cked and locked just like a 1911.

Last edited:

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I still want that SA-35. Swear I'd buy one if seen.
Me too.
For me a 1911 has to be .45, unless it’s a 38super. Local Gun shop has a used Rock Island 1911 in 38 super for a very reasonable price. I keep looking at it but have heard so many stories about RIA’s frames being out of spec that I keep passing.

Last edited:

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Me too.
For me a 1911 has to be .45, unless it’s a 38super. Local Gun shop has a used Rock Island 1911 in 38 super for a very reasonable price. I keep looking at it but have heard so many stories about RIA’s frames being out of spec that I keep passing.
I also know a couple guys that have them and don’t have a single complaint. Who really knows.

For me, a Gold Cup would have to be in .45. That's the traditional bullseye chambering and very accurate with the right loads.

!

9AACB55F-11A1-4B94-B36B-D8B82EBD4566.jpeg

🤔 I still want that SA-35. Swear I'd buy one if seen....
AA
I would have to agree with this, Hi-Power is just 90 kinds of awesome. 😁

Purely a personal issue, but I've had a half dozen .45s, including one of the early Kimbers, customized with Briley bushing, Wilson extended (and trimmed down) controls, Cocobolo grips and fistfuls of Wilson mags, topped off with APW's hard chrome finish... I just never fell in love with the caliber. All sold or traded, no regrets.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Buddy at work has a Rock Island 1911 in 9mm- he loves it. Hasn’t had one problem with it (even though he picked the wrong caliber for that frame :) )
It’s not so much function but when you start trying to add aftermarket parts people report out of spec frame holes, pins, etc. I personally don’t have any experience with them and the people that I know that have them haven’t had any function issues. Maybe I should stop worrying and just go buy it.

It’s not so much function but when you start trying to add aftermarket parts people report out of spec frame holes, pins, etc. I personally don’t have any experience with them and the people that I know that have them haven’t had any function issues. Maybe I should stop worrying and just go buy it.
I replaced the grips and sights on mine and had no issues. I may do a trigger job and see what happens. I don't think you will be disappointed.

I hate to say it, but that's 1911-life overall. Lot's of good guns, but more than a few that need special attention.

Reamers are ~$13-20/ea, depending on what you're cutting. The reamer for the slide-stop & safety spring tube is pricey ($35, last time I bought one) but well worth it.

I would say, based on handling and peeking in the LGS, Rock Island is as good as most Springers, Kimbers, etc., at the moment. IIRC, there are only a half dozen or so frame & slide providers that most manufacturers purchase from. They will then do their "finish" machining and fit parts.

Years ago, I got into the habit of detail stripping every new firearm, and degreasing/cleaning, chasing springways, stoning rub spots, etc.. Get a good manual, where available, and take your time. Its worth it!

Top Bottom