What's new

32 Dumas Cutlery

Seems my trusty Henckels 4" paring knife has....gone somewhere. 😔
Figured I would try something new. 32 Dumas (a French knife maker who seems to have been around for a very long time and is somehow connected to Sabatier) came to my attention. Anyone familiar with these guys???

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I do believe they used to be in partnership with a Russian knife maker. The company was called Dumas & Sonovavitch. :c1:

Seems my trusty Henckels 4" paring knife has....gone somewhere. 😔
Figured I would try something new. 32 Dumas (a French knife maker who seems to have been around for a very long time and is somehow connected to Sabatier) came to my attention. Anyone familiar with these guys???
About any French knife maker can claim they were part of the Sebatier family due to the time the Sebatier name came about and lack of copyright laws.

But, look at the steel type and reviews.

I'm a fan of the victonorox or dexter 3 pack of paring knives. For $10. They aren't pretty but they work well. They sharpen just fine.

If you want a full shank, non injection molded handle, go to a store where you can hold it and pick what feels right.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
If you want Sabatier knives, I highly recommend the Thiers-Issard ones with the Elephant followed by four stars logo. The carbon steel versions are superb. I am not familiar with these Dumas knives, but they look very similar. Sabs tend to be lighter and have a pointier, less bellied profile than German knives. Another possibility is Japanese. The Tojiro ITK knives at CKTG are relatively affordable and tons of fun if you are ok with carbon steel.

Truth on the Tojiro knives. I have a couple of ITK blades which are ugly as homemade sin but perform exceptionally well.
I think I will try the Dumas...just because.
My paring knife quiver currently consists of MAC, Shun, Zwilling/Thun...nothing French. Can always return it😉

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Another superb French paring knife is the Nogent to be found on Flotsam and Fork. It is a very pointy and atypical shape. I love mine.

Wed to a French Brand? Nah...not Japanese either.
Figured however I would stick to what I have known and loved since the 1970's.
Zwilling Henckels. I do like the new Matteo Thun (have three of them, guess that indicates something).
Plus they were on sale......

Top Bottom