What's new

3 pass method?

I have been shaving with double-edge razors for quite a while and decided to try my hand at a straight edge. With my double edge razors, I can usually get a BBS shave with the 3 pass method (With the grain, across the grain, and then a 3rd pass against the grain.) Is that the accepted way to go about shaving with the straight edge?

It's definitely acceptable. And there are times where I will do a 3-pass shave but usually only 2. Sometimes just 1.
For me, BBS is not always the goal, I go with what feels right.

It's definitely acceptable. And there are times where I will do a 3-pass shave but usually only 2. Sometimes just 1.
For me, BBS is not always the goal, I go with what feels right.

+1...Doing a 3-pass shave is very nice, but in most cases I will only do 2; WTG and sort of a combination between XTG and ATG....Like Sando said, I am aiming for DFS most of the time...if I want BBS then I'll go for the 3-pass, but 2-pass is the norm for me...

3-pass shave every day here, but it's WTG, XTG, XTG/ATG. I don't go full ATG everywhere - just on portions above/below the lip.

Yes, that is acceptable, and of course you have to do whatever works best for you. There is no set number of passes. When I straight shave I usually do 2 passes, but both are a combination of WTG and XTG, and sometimes even ATG. Its all whatever works for you. So try different ways and find your own best. :001_tongu :w00t:

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Whatever pass you use for DEs will work with SE and Straights as well. The only caveat is a straight razor, with the absence of a safety bar, will take off more of the protective layer of dead skin cells than a DE, so people with sensitive skin may need fewer passes. YMMV tho.

If absolutely 100% BBS over every bit of my face is the goal I do what I call my anniversary shave. I only bother with this for special occasions or when I wish to impress my sweetie. Three passes, WTG, XTG, ATG, then touch up a spot on the right side of my chin that is stubborn about giving up BBS, then one final WTG pass. That will leave me BBS for more than 12 hours and I usually skip the next days shave because there just isn't enough to bother with. Even active duty I could skip the next day with no notice.

3-pass shave every day here, but it's WTG, XTG, XTG/ATG. I don't go full ATG everywhere - just on portions above/below the lip.

mee 2, except even after a few years, I'm doing a WTG/WTG/ATG on the neck, as I'm not sure how to go XTG down there :)

For me it partially depends on the blade I use. Astra only needs 2 passes for me, but Derby requires 3 for the same closeness.

For me it depends more on the area.
Depending on the area 2 passes or 3 passes do the job. Sometimes 4 when different angles are required.
In general, you'll just feel what works after a bit of trial and error.
No magic recipe as hair are so different for everybody. Unless maybe you have a twin.

I usually do two passes WTG and one ATG. Actually, the ATG is South to North which works out to a bit of XTG on my neck area. Sometimes I will touch up the neck but it can cause irritation.

Full face/neck north to south.
Ears to nose XTG on each cheek, jawline, chin, and under the nose.
South to north full face and neck, including under the nose.
Followup buffing on a 45 under the ears, bottom of chin, and below the lip.

So it's two full passes, XTG is a partial (no XTG on the neck), and buffing/cleanup is a partial.

Ya... 3-pass BBS.

3 passes and a watery clean up for me. XTG is a bit of a misnomer for me on my neck; it's more of a slanted or diagonal pass that is closer to ATG. Don't expect BBS right off the bat with your straight. Be patient, it will take time to figure your shave out again. I had to be very very patient. In fact, I recall thinking it may never happen.

Its been said before, but i'll say it again. It just takes practice. I haven't touched a cartridge razor in over a year, or a DE in almost 7 months, and I still can't get BBS on my neck... Darn E-W growth....

I can get a SAS shave with one WTG pass but getting close to BBS takes going at the whiskers from several directions.

My normal routine is:

N-S right hand, right side of face; left hand, left side of face

Ear-Nose left hand, right side of face; right hand, left side of face. On my neck this tends more towards S-N ATG strokes

S-N left hand, right side of face; right hand, left side of face.

I'll sometimes do a little touch up to finish. If I have more time I sometimes throw in another pass between the N-S and Ear-Nose:

Nose-Ear right hand, right side of face; left hand, left side of face. On my neck this tends more towards N-S WTG strokes.

With three or four passes I get near BBS most every shave and with almost no irritation.

I can get a SAS shave with one WTG pass but getting close to BBS takes going at the whiskers from several directions.

My normal routine is:

N-S right hand, right side of face; left hand, left side of face

Ear-Nose left hand, right side of face; right hand, left side of face. On my neck this tends more towards S-N ATG strokes

S-N left hand, right side of face; right hand, left side of face.

I'll sometimes do a little touch up to finish. If I have more time I sometimes throw in another pass between the N-S and Ear-Nose:

Nose-Ear right hand, right side of face; left hand, left side of face. On my neck this tends more towards N-S WTG strokes.

With three or four passes I get near BBS most every shave and with almost no irritation.

great driving directions, thanks!

My neck hair grows sideways. I haven't yet figured out how to go ATG without going Sweeney Todd on myself.

I usually do 2 WTG passes on my cheeks and a downward angled WTG\\\XTG pass on the neck.
If I need a better shave than that I go ATG on my cheeks and do an upward ATG///XTG pass on the neck.
With a light touch, you can do much more bladebuffing with a straight than would be tolerable with a DE so it is a lot easier to deal with trouble spots.

Top Bottom