What's new

22” Weber charcoal grill

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I have the simple one, without the table. Fantastic grill. You could cook anything on it, from chicken, fish (on a cedar plank is my favorite) to steaks, sausages, pizza, even paella.

proxy.php

Start using it and build up some skill.

Versatile as heck, aren't they?

I find smoking with a Weber kettle requires more attention than a dedicated smoker, but not too bad.

You can do anything on the Weber even low and slow smoking. I have the performer with the table and propane starting system and I love it. In fact, I'm getting excited about the warmer weather and being able to break it out again!

Let me elaborate a bit.

The round shape works for me as I learned how to take advantage of it. One can rotate the grate thus adjusting the heat by placing the food on top of the charcoal or far off. One can cook with direct, indirect, or both heat, by placing charcoal on one side, in the middle or against the wall, and then placing food accordingly. You can rotate the grate safely and easily since it is secured by the lip of the bottom bowl.

In the picture I posted, the chicken is cooked with indirect heat from briquettes. Set it like that and close the lid. It takes about 40min for a bird that size to roast. It can stay there an additional 20min without the fear of burning it.
The beauty is that I never have to touch it again or even check before it is done. Set the timer and do other preparation or just enjoy a beer.

One can chose briquettes or lump depending on what kind of heat is required. In my experience, briquettes last/stay hot longer and have lower temperature, while lump charcoal burns hot for shorter time. So, when I need heat (searing for instance), I use lump.
Salmon on plank is another favorite of mine. I place half of salmon, skin down, on a cedar plank that has been previously soaked in water for an hour or so and then coated with olive oil. The top of the salmon gets the secret sauce (mayo, garlic and ...) then placed on top of charcoal. Cover and wait until the bottom of the plank starts smoking (the bottom is already charred and will take a minute or two to start smoking). Then just turn the grate 180° so the plank and the fish is opposite to the hot charcoal. The plank will continue smoking without putting out too much heat. 20min later you have salmon with a smoky flavor, cooked to perfection since it stays moist.
Pay attention to the top vents as they determine the path of the smoke. Experimenting with the vents is critical.
The bbq is not foolproof and will require some skill if one expects perfect results.

Fun tool, partly due to its simplicity.

Enjoy yours.

This thread got me in the mood to fire up my Weber the other day. Ive got the original version in copper. I grilled up some chicken breast and it turned out flawlessly.

timwcic

"Look what I found"
I have a plain Jane 22” that is on its 8th year. Gets used year round in Florida. Just learn it’s personality, control the air and heat. It delivers, pictured a 12 pound bird

42BC721F-9CD1-4F3A-8667-D23976F1A55F.jpeg

you can buy a Cajun Bandit stacker, turn your kettle into a "smoker"

something like this...

(i know, that's a rotisserie, but you get the idea)
The adapter is for a BBQ Guru..

For smoking, for 4-5 ppl, i highly recommend the the mini-wsm (14 inch). Since i bought that one my 18" and 22" wsm are collecting dust (rather rust)

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
There is an infinite number of after market accessories for the Webber 22 in. grill, none of them are needed, but may make it easier to do certain cooking tasks, or just make it more efficient at what it already does. I use my Weber gas grill more for routine stuff and break out the kettle for smoking and BBQ.

My biggest complaint with Weber grills is the grill grate itself. There might be an upgrade out there but they should really come with an iron grill. You can't get grill marks on wire. It simply does not retain heat. Any resemblance of grill marks is usually in the negative space between them. I have the Weber and its fine for as often as I use it. But I would like a better grate on it.

My biggest complaint with Weber grills is the grill grate itself. There might be an upgrade out there but they should really come with an iron grill. You can't get grill marks on wire. It simply does not retain heat. Any resemblance of grill marks is usually in the negative space between them. I have the Weber and its fine for as often as I use it. But I would like a better grate on it.

You can get aftermarket grills that fit the bill. Having that as standard would negate one of the other major attractions of the kettles and that's how relatively inexpensive they are, they're a great value.
dave

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Yes, you can get a cast iron grate for a Kettle. I have one and love it, but it did run me about $100. It's a good (third party) upgrade to get, but I agree with @davent that it would be a lot to add automatically to a grill that only costs around $100 in the first place before other upgrades.

Gabrielle Hamilton on cooking ribeyes...

....Rain salt & pepper on each side before grilling. Move steak around the grill a lot to get a full crusty brown surface - we do not want the impossibly unnatural Outback Steakhouse crosshatched grill mark weirdness...
dave

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
we do not want the impossibly unnatural Outback Steakhouse crosshatched grill mark weirdness

I cannot tell you how loudly and joyously my heart sang when I saw that. I'm so tired of folks obsessing over "perfect" grill marks, especially since such distinct grill marks pretty much signify that the food tastes more like it came out of an oven than off a grill.

since such distinct grill marks pretty much signify that the food tastes more like it came out of an oven than off a grill.

I've never associated grill marks with a poorly grilled steak. You can have both the visual appeal and the taste. Unfortunately with the Weber kettle it's a lot harder without an upgrade.

Top Bottom