What's new

22” Weber charcoal grill

I’m looking at 22” Weber charcoal grill..I’m looking at the performer series.The one with the table..Anyone have this make..How do you like it. Can you do ribs smoke some fish or a butt on it ?

I picked one up earlier this year, when the local hardware store was trying to clear the remaining grills out before the new order arrived.

I like it a lot. It’s basically the same kettle and grill as the original Weber, but with the attached side table. The main gripe I had about the original was the lack of a place to put anything, and constantly needing to move a table along with the grill. The Performer takes care of this.

It has ample storage underneath, and a nice sized side table. It comes with a timer built in, that I doubt I’ll ever use. I would have preferred a thermometer there instead. It also has a tilt out plastic container intended for charcoal storage. As this container does not have a sealed lid, and I store my grill outside, I put a kitchen size garbage bag in it and use it for trash while grilling.

I did buy the model with the propane igniter, and really like the feature. I still use a charcoal chimney, but place it over the area where the propane flame is to get it going.

Size if fine. I can do a full packer brisket, a decent size turkey, 2-3 chickens, a shoulder, or 2 racks of ribs laying on the grill with no issue. If I were to buy a rack that stands the ribs on end, I suppose I could do even more at the same time.

Well worth the money.

Last edited:
Ive been using Weber kettle grills for over 20 years. Theyre a simple design that works, you just have to learn how much charcoal to use and how to control the air flow.
I use mine for doing anything from grilling burgers and brats to smoking ribs or a roast. To smoke, all you really need to do is add a pan for water, beer or whatever liquid you want to use and then put the coals and wood on the other side to cook with indirect heating. Its super easy.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
If you are looking for a grill because you want a grill to use primarily as a grill, but also one that you can use use for the occasional smoking, then a 22 inch kettle is a good choice. However, if you want something for smoking, then you're better off spending that money on a WSM or other bullet smoker or even a pellet cooker.

I bought a 22" Premium (no side table) 2 years ago after only ever grilling on a gas grill. Use it year round, learning curve to adapt to it's idiosyncrasies, sometimes just use the chimney to cook/sear. Glad i bought it, have done beef, pork, chicken, fish, vegetables, smoked chicken, beef, pork and fish, super flexible, always new things to try, to learn. Still use my gas grill as well.

A good book to check out, i've the library's copy, is "Where There's Smoke" by Barton Seaver, centered on his Weber Kettle grilling.

Not sure how pricing is in the USA but up here everyone was the same price, no price breaks anywhere, bought mine at the indy business that is the parts and service center for Weber and many other brands of BBQ and appliances.
dave

Last edited:
I had a "Gold" model, no side table, but had the ash bucket and hinged grates, for several years. Replaced it after the legs rusted off. This time I got the one with the small fold away table. I like it, it would work better on a concrete slab than the grass it sits on. I'm still considering putting some bigger wheels on it. All and all I'm still very happy with it and would recommend and Weber Kettle to anyone looking for a charcoal grill. The vents on a Weber really do give better control of the coals than most cheaper grills that won't seal tight when shut. With a Weber you can shut the vents ant the coals will go out. I cook pork chops, chicken, or burgers, turkeys. or anything that can be cooked in a cast iron skillet.

Need to add... very clear assembly instructions, went together very easily, kudo's to those responsible for all that.
dave

Need to add... very clear assembly instructions, went together very easily, kudo's to those responsible for all that.
dave
I actually tried buying mine, in the box unassembled. Buying in January, in Wisconsin, I knew it wouldn’t see much use until the weather broke, but the hardware store where I purchased would not. The sales women said they assemble all their grills for free, and would not sell any other their way. They feel is better or them to identify missing/broken parts.

I actually tried buying mine, in the box unassembled. Buying in January, in Wisconsin, I knew it wouldn’t see much use until the weather broke, but the hardware store where I purchased would not. The sales women said they assemble all their grills for free, and would not sell any other their way. They feel is better or them to identify missing/broken parts.

Someone who's put one together would be minutes putting the ones after that together.

The issue i'd have with the pre assembled would be transporting it home, free delivery?
dave

I have an older Performer I picked up on the FB marketplace for $50....I feel like I stole it. Before I got it, the only thing I disliked about the 22” Kettle I had was the lack of work space. The Performer solves that problem, and adds the convenience of the gas assist for getting the coals going (which, I I was fine not having, but now, boy would I miss it).

Its a fantastic grill, you won’t regret getting one!

If you’re in the market for a cover, the Weber branded ones aren’t great, in my opinion. I got this one for Christmas, and highly recommend it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010MTYWAM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_lttQCb7RRE0CG

That is an awesome looking cover! I definitely need to pick one up. I was actually looking at the Weber covers today, but as you said, leave a lot to be desired. Thanks!

I have one on my Performer, and one of my propane grill, too (Weber Genesis). Love them!

proxy.php

I have one, the one with the propane starter tank. It's wonderful. I use a chimney to start my charcoal with the propane tank.

I’m looking at 22” Weber charcoal grill..I’m looking at the performer series.The one with the table..Anyone have this make..How do you like it. Can you do ribs smoke some fish or a butt on it ?
Weber's are great and you can easily make amazing food on them...including
Ive been using Weber kettle grills for over 20 years. Theyre a simple design that works, you just have to learn how much charcoal to use and how to control the air flow.
I use mine for doing anything from grilling burgers and brats to smoking ribs or a roast. To smoke, all you really need to do is add a pan for water, beer or whatever liquid you want to use and then put the coals and wood on the other side to cook with indirect heating. Its super easy.
+1

I’ve had a Weber since 1976. They are hard to beat. Currently I have both a 22” kettle and a Weber Smokey Mountain smoker. You can certainly cook or smoke ribs, fish, butts, etc on the kettle and it will go fine. For me, I got the smoker when I started smoking more. If you’re serious about smoking, you might want to consider a smoker as it would make things easier as well as allow smoking more from a quantity perspective. I find it much easier to maintain the proper low smoking temperature over time with the smoker. Anyway, you can’t go wrong with a Weber. Here is a good source of information, it’s geared toward the smoker but also includes grilling... http://virtualweberbullet.com The forums are especially good

Love Weber. Used a 22 inch for 20 years. Have to carry it from a Trex deck down to the grass; downsized to the 18 inch model. Ideal for two people, uses half the charcoal. Can still cook steaks or chops for six, or a turkey breast.

I’ve had a Weber since 1976. They are hard to beat. Currently I have both a 22” kettle and a Weber Smokey Mountain smoker. You can certainly cook or smoke ribs, fish, butts, etc on the kettle and it will go fine. For me, I got the smoker when I started smoking more. If you’re serious about smoking, you might want to consider a smoker as it would make things easier as well as allow smoking more from a quantity perspective. I find it much easier to maintain the proper low smoking temperature over time with the smoker. Anyway, you can’t go wrong with a Weber. Here is a good source of information, it’s geared toward the smoker but also includes grilling... http://virtualweberbullet.com The forums are especially good
I like the Smokey Mountain. Ive been looking at getting a dedicated smoker lately but dont really want something like a Traeger that runs on pellets.

I have the simple one, without the table. Fantastic grill. You could cook anything on it, from chicken, fish (on a cedar plank is my favorite) to steaks, sausages, pizza, even paella.

proxy.php

Start using it and build up some skill.

Top Bottom