What's new

2017 release announcements

Well, Ken, I am happy for you. It is great to see a guy from B&B build a quality product that is met with success. :a14:

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
Well, Ken, I am happy for you. It is great to see a guy from B&B build a quality product that is met with success. :a14:

Thanks. I think of B&B as my alma mater. And but for B&B, in many ways, Paladin Shaving would never have come to be.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Don't know how much faster I could have moved on the one I wanted:badger:
Now, which one of you sniped my butterscotch El Dorado:001_rolle

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
Are the Sumos retired or just taking a break?

Just taking a break. Our production process starts with me turning handles in small batches of the same style and size. It takes a while to work through the combinations, given that there are now 12 styles, four sizes, and around 20 different color patterns. That said, I expect the next batch of Sumos will be 26 mm (which we haven't previously offered) rather than 24 mm.

I just checked, and it looks like so far we've made and sold exactly 50 Sumos (all 24 mm) since launching our site last March. I don't think there were more than a handful before that.

captp

I see that the 28mm El Dorado is priced a bit higher that the 26mm from the last release. But I see several 26mm El Dorados also listed. What will be the prices on those?

Also, for future releases, would you consider taking the pics of the other side of the handle, for those of us who can't seem to remember which shape goes with which name? We all know that they're Paladins.

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
I see that the 28mm El Dorado is priced a bit higher that the 26mm from the last release. But I see several 26mm El Dorados also listed. What will be the prices on those?

Also, for future releases, would you consider taking the pics of the other side of the handle, for those of us who can't seem to remember which shape goes with which name? We all know that they're Paladins.

The best way to associate shapes with names and find current pricing information for brush variants (i.e., style/size/material combinations) is to select and view examples in our shop, starting here. (See e.g., this brush.)

I posted prices for the variants being introduced for the first time in this release because no examples of them will appear in the store until the release goes live. Similarly, pricing for variants introduced in the last release were posted in advance here.

I appreciate the suggestion to add back-side photos of brushes in the Gallery. We actually did do that before the last release, here. We've discussed doing it for all brushes, but decided against it based mainly on two considerations: 1) risk of confusion and 2) the additional time it would take.

To be honest, I've started to think more about what we might best discontinue doing rather than what more we should undertake to do. At present, just about everything extra we do is based on what I'd want (and in many cases have wanted). But it's not at all clear to me that many care much about some of the things I think are important (e.g., knot codes and free loft measurements, both of which take considerable time). We are stretched to the point that everything we do that isn't making brushes ends up being at the expense of how many brushes we could otherwise make. And as things stand, making more brushes would go further to solve problems prospective customers encounter in trying to buy one from us than just about anything else I can think of.

No attitude here at all. You ask good questions, and I greatly appreciate your posts in this thread. Just telling it like it is.

captp

No attitude taken, Ken. I appreciate the time you take to answer all my, and everyone else's, questions.

And thanks loads for teasing me with a link to my favorite, most coveted, brush, the Butterscotch El Dorado. Biding my time 'til I manage to get one.

I for one really appreciate the knot measurements including free loft.

The codes are interesting but I have to admit that I get lost in the comparisons and contrasts between batches.

I really like the new handles and sizes offered.

Keep up the good work!

I too appreciate those details, but I understand they are "too" time consuming and it affects the actual making of brushes, etc.

Customers primarily want brushes, right, I do!, but I think that information is important too and clearly makes a difference. Obviously, if forced to choose... I prefer the brush rather than its measurements.

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
No attitude taken, Ken. I appreciate the time you take to answer all my, and everyone else's, questions.

And thanks loads for teasing me with a link to my favorite, most coveted, brush, the Butterscotch El Dorado. Biding my time 'til I manage to get one.

Thanks for your understanding.

For what it's worth, Cody is working on a page for our website that includes photos and descriptions of the various handle styles.

We get overwhelmed. I was in the shop until late last night working on a lathe that went haywire. I had to travel last week (Thursday through Saturday), and while I was gone some gremlins apparently had some fun in my shop.

Really looking forward to the 26mm Sumo's Ken - and I for one also really appreciate the effort you put in to describe the knots as well as you do...

It might not be too beneficial for some at first, but once you start to think about it and do measure your current brushes (or compare to other Paladins in the den) it really helps to narrow down preferences :thumbup:

captp

Thanks for your understanding.

For what it's worth, Cody is working on a page for our website that includes photos and descriptions of the various handle styles.
Thanks, Ken, that is worth a lot to me. It will go a long way in helping this old guy sort the styles out.

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
For what it's worth, the 26 mm Winston, 28 mm Churchill, and (coming soon) 30 mm WCXL are all same shape, just different girths (rather than proportional scaling).

That will probably spawn more confusion, but WTH, we need to have a little fun sometimes.

Top Bottom