What's new

2014 Scent/Fragrance of the Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Green House
from the Cannabis Collection
by Dawn Spencer Hurwitz

Lemon grass, Brazilian vetiver, Bulgarian rose otto, Cannabis, Chrysanthemum absolute, Civet, Dirt, Frankincense CO2 absolute, Gardenia, Green wood, Hemp, Leaf green, Mimosa absolute, Parma violet, Patchouli CO2, Tuberose absolute, Violet leaf absolute

Number two in the Cannabis series, this time enjoyed safely from the desk in my office with no coworkers around to question my work ethics. I found this to be very similar to Agrestic with only slight differences. Agrestic after all refers to agrarian characteristics, which I think of as being green sometimes, earthy at other times. Green House had a similar citrus-cannabis opening but not as "juicy" (no grapefruit in this one). This is quickly washed over by a green-floral accord that was also a touch soapy and powdery. The florals contained some rose but some other florals I couldn't quite ascertain; and the green note was not like galbanum but more like calamus, with that sort of milky green aspect. The weed note is noticeable through all this but sits quietly and lets the rest do its stuff for a while before coming back out with a touch of patchouli. I prefer the lavender pairing of Agrestic but Green House is very nice and in a way I think of them both as the male/female versions of the same perfume. Both have short longevity - about a half-day's wearing - but a part of me thinks that's ok - and those base notes do linger around although diminutively. I wonder if this is what it smells like when Nancy Botwin is working in her green house.

proxy.php

Rocky Mountain High
From the Cannabis Collection
by Dawn Spencer Hurwitz

Balsam fir, Bergamot, Cannabis, Currant bud, Choya Nakh, Chrysanthemum absolute, Clary sage, Juniper, Coniferous woods, Arborvitae, Fossilized amber resin, Frankincense, Galbanum, Grean oakmoss, Green pepper, Hemp, Herbaceous notes, Marihuna, Pine needle

Yes, incense! And pine! And leather! and of course, marijuana... This is a very nicely composed perfume with a citrus-weed opening that is quickly wrapped up in turpenes and a slightly hot peppery note. An accord of incense and conifers sweeps in to bolster the marijuana accord bringing a triumvirate religious context derived from the mysticism of the orthodoxy, the spiritual inspiration of alpine asceticism, and the transcendentalism of mind-altering substances (namely marijuana). The weed note actually disappears slowly leaving in its wake a sweet plummy leather note that is both warm and rugged, bringing to mind myrrh and labdanum - neither of which are listed as notes, though. I get much better longevity out of this one that the other two I tried (Agrestic, Green House) and the funky leather note means I'll get a lot more use out of this one, too. Delightfully fun and serious at the same time.

proxy.php

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom