What's new

2 Starters started.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
At 70° you might need to wait closer to 24 hrs. or use warmer water in your feedings. If it's alive, it will rise, it just takes longer under 75-80°. You'll observe the same thing waiting for your loaves to rise.

Reactions: Avi
At 70° you might need to wait closer to 24 hrs. or use warmer water in your feedings. If it's alive, it will rise, it just takes longer under 75-80°. You'll observe the same thing waiting for your loaves to rise.

In a way that is easier so that is awesome ... so the recipe might be just pretend I am on day 1-2 but stretch it out for say 2 weeks rather than 7 days?

i am starting day 5 of this at 10 pm today

regards
avi

Day 4 is just the beginning. It took mine 10 days. My house was cold and it did not really take off until I warned things up a little. I put the jars (I had two going, hence the title) in a pan of warm water. But this was after Day 10. Holy cow it took off. I was feeding half whole-wheat and half AP.

This is a marathon not a race. I fed mine last night and holy cow it’s boozey thick and happy.

Day 4 is just the beginning. It took mine 10 days. My house was cold and it did not really take off until I warned things up a little. I put the jars (I had two going, hence the title) in a pan of warm water. But this was after Day 10. Holy cow it took off. I was feeding half whole-wheat and half AP.

This is a marathon not a race. I fed mine last night and holy cow it’s boozey thick and happy.

Awesome super appreciated ! Ill keep to the 12 hr schedule for now ..

The other idea is had was to warm the water to 80 or so just to wake it up a bit but may try the water bath after a week or so as well.

regards
avi

Hows your starter looking? I left mine for a 18 hrs or so just for random and it turned super liquid (also the house is now 76ish or so with spring in the air .. ) so I think its all perking up finally

Definitely no doubling ..

Actually while not making sourdough I am using leftovers as a part flour/water substitute for baked bread (so yeast is still involved ) and it definitely makes the bread crazy good..

regards
Avi

I did my first loaf today. I am by no means a baker so overall I'm pleased enough with how it came out, although now that I've cut into it I feel like I could have left it in the oven a couple more minutes.

IMG_2930.jpgIMG_2931.jpgIMG_2932.jpgIMG_2933.jpg

Yas!!!!

( rubber band ~ 4-5 hrs ago :: our non AC'd house is ~ 73-75 now ..)

Attachments

• AD72A19A-4BF0-4569-ABE5-3FBC316760DD.jpeg
    AD72A19A-4BF0-4569-ABE5-3FBC316760DD.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 9

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Rockin! I can smell that bread! Bubbles look great!

I can see you don't have the cast iron Dutch oven either, but that gives me an idea ...

AA
I don’t; I thought about trying to use separate cast iron skillets for a top/bottom, but the Dutch oven just seemed easier

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
That bread looks really good. Starter too. It's wonderful when it all comes together.

I have a small loaf proofing in the frig right now.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Overnight proofs make for a more spongy, flavorful crumb and I usually lower the oven temp to 450 for a softer crust.

I once read that sourdough fermentation turns the carbs into probiotics. I'm going with that!

2AB7836C-1FEF-44CF-8CDE-86C04AE26919.jpeg
D6EA3646-3560-4D89-B6CA-601808C09261.jpeg

I havnt seen here what to do once you have great starter, you know when it has aged and has a real sourdough taste.
And what I mean is how to preserve it......Once you are real happy with the starter, follow the link below.

I also have some 1849 oregon trail starter to resurrect, now the wife is off, house to myself , I can bake to my hearts content and not worry a few containers being out :)

Reactions: Avi

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Slippery slope....

Just found out that one of my cousins has my Czech grandmother's recipe for rye bread. When I was a kid, we ate that bread almost every day, if we weren't eating tortillas. Never any store-bought baked goods around our place.

I havnt seen here what to do once you have great starter, you know when it has aged and has a real sourdough taste.
And what I mean is how to preserve it......Once you are real happy with the starter, follow the link below.

I also have some 1849 oregon trail starter to resurrect, now the wife is off, house to myself , I can bake to my hearts content and not worry a few containers being out :)

That is really really cool. Super appreciated!

Regards
Avi

Four days ago made a triple batch of no knead dough, made the boule on the 2nd and took the rest and made 2 loaves today, cut into one and will freeze the other.
Easy and good.
proxy.php

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom