What's new

2 Starters started.

Today was the maiden voyage of the Yeasty Boys. Lots went wrong.

I forgot the salt until the 4th stretch and fold.

it glued itself to the tea towel in the colander and went pretty flat as I did my best to get it off

burnt the bottom

the rest tasted real good.
I have to figure out how the bottom burnt and how to avoid it for the next one.
DA117EF2-7549-4447-8903-D737229DAD7F.jpeg
DA117EF2-7549-4447-8903-D737229DAD7F.jpeg

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Today was the maiden voyage of the Yeasty Boys. Lots went wrong.

I forgot the salt until the 4th stretch and fold.

it glued itself to the tea towel in the colander and went pretty flat as I did my best to get it off

burnt the bottom

the rest tasted real good.
I have to figure out how the bottom burnt and how to avoid it for the next one.
View attachment 1098440View attachment 1098440

Looks authentic to me!

Got one to stretch and fold shortly.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Thanks to @natenaaron for starting this thread! (er, no pun intended).

Got good sourdough on my second attempt.

No. "Acceptable" sourdough. Too crunchy a crust, but. That's where that Dutch oven comes in (hm, I do have cast iron fry pans, but no lid). Used a silicone baking form. Anyways.

full

Some bubbles, some rise. Starter was about 10 days old, next will be better!

Impatient once again, but got some edible bread - unlike that first, doughy brick. No pictures.

And as noted, butter covers a lot of mistakes - tastily!

Guest: "Hey, where'd you learn to bake bread?"

Me: "In a shaving forum."

AA

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I'd eat it!
Thanks to @natenaaron for starting this thread! (er, no pun intended).

Got good sourdough on my second attempt.

No. "Acceptable" sourdough. Too crunchy a crust, but. That's where that Dutch oven comes in (hm, I do have cast iron fry pans, but no lid). Used a silicone baking form. Anyways.

Some bubbles, some rise. Starter was about 10 days old, next will be better!

Impatient once again, but got some edible bread - unlike that first, doughy brick. No pictures.

And as noted, butter covers a lot of mistakes - tastily!

Guest: "Hey, where'd you learn to bake bread?"

Me: "In a shaving forum."

AA

I'd eat that bread!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I'd eat it!

I'd eat that bread!

And I'd be happy to share! :punk:

Read it should be eaten in 48 hours ... easy enough to make more.

Starter is like a darn pet; like having a goldfish or something.

You have to feed it every day ...

AA

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
And I'd be happy to share! :punk:

Read it should be eaten in 48 hours ... easy enough to make more.

Starter is like a darn pet; like having a goldfish or something.

You have to feed it every day ...

AA

Only if you leave it out. Mine sleep in the frig. I pull them out a day or two before I plan to use them and then start feeding to get them going well. Sometimes the night before but you get better results if you give them a day or two to wake up.

In a Dutch oven that is not enabled at 450 for 20 minutes. Then I took it out of the Dutch oven and finished it right on the rack.

Not sure what you mean by "not enabled at 450 for 20 minutes". is it not a cast iron dutch oven?

Your bread doesn't look too bad. While the sourdough process is robust, you do have to stay reasonably close to "conventional" methods. Adding salt late might just make the bread taste a bit weird. But free-styling the baking methodology for the first attempt might be a tad too much experimenting. I followed proven methods to the letter for my first several boules with great results before attempting different variations.

It is a 12 inch cast iron dutch oven that is not enameled. I baked the bread for 2o minutes in the dutch oven and then removed it as per the instructions in the video but the bottom scorched anyway. In my research it is pretty clear that scorching is an issue and I am thinking I need some pizza stones or unglazed tiles to help control it.

I followed the instructions on this video. I was not winging it.

It is a 12 inch cast iron dutch oven that is not enameled. I baked the bread for 2o minutes in the dutch oven and then removed it as per the instructions in the video but the bottom scorched anyway. In my research it is pretty clear that scorching is an issue and I am thinking I need some pizza stones or unglazed tiles to help control it.

I followed the instructions on this video. I was not winging it.

How accurate was the temperature? Remember, never, ever, trust an oven thermometer. Verify and calibrate first.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
A couple ice cubes under the parchment paper in the DO can help oven spring. Misting the dough with water can help as well. The water also helps keep the crust a little softer.

I think they do that misting trick with real Cuban bread - the kind made with lard (manteca).

I will try it; the last was pretty crunchy (450 deg., silicon mold - yikes)

AA

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Not much progress here . . . Lots of pancakes but with how cool we keep our house and hepa filters etc. It is taking a long time. I put in an order for some starter from Esty. Still trying to make a go of what I have here.

Got the “random” idea to try and make a wild yeast starter yesterday ( to celebrate finding bread flour in our grocery stores ) and just realized I subconsciously got the idea from seeing this thread! Thanks all for the random science experiment, this is definitely new for me.

Day two is already pretty yeasty, sitting on our dining room table ( following the king Arthur website guide )

regards
avi

Out of curiosity what day does it start doubling really? I think I am on day 4 now .. so the 12 hr feeds and while it is definitely bubbly I would not call it rising .. no hooch .. but each feed is 113 grams starter ( restirred ) 113 grams water and 113 g all purpose flour every 12 hrs .. so i am at the end of 2nd day of the 12 hr cycles .. ( I keep switching containers as you guys suggested ) .. I am wondering if our house is a bit too cold ? ( 68 to 70 )

regards

avi

Top Bottom