What's new

1st time lucky with brushes.

When I was searching for razors, it seemed like I saw brushes everywhere. At that time, I didn't know about restoration and I thought old brushes were pretty gross. Then I came here and saw these threads and thought "awesome!" brushes can be restored. So I started looking for them thinking it would be easy...and promptly stopped finding any. Today I finally got lucky and received around 20-30 brushes. The ones below are my favorites though so far. They are a bit weightier and appeal to my taste.

One question. One of the longer Austrian Barbershop brushes has a small crack in the black material. Can this be stabilized or is it a junker?
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

I have worked with a couple of those. Neither had an external crack, but on one the black part was slightly loose from the wood part, and on the other I hogged out the knot socket too much. In both cases the problems were resolved with epoxy when setting the knot. If it were me, I would try some epoxy, but mix a little black paint so it will be less visible.

I have worked with a couple of those. Neither had an external crack, but on one the black part was slightly loose from the wood part, and on the other I hogged out the knot socket too much. In both cases the problems were resolved with epoxy when setting the knot. If it were me, I would try some epoxy, but mix a little black paint so it will be less visible.
Thanks! I wonder if I could give it a shiny finish with superglue like some guys do on wood. Then it might hide the difference in sheen.

Here is the rest of the score. I assume the big brushes are actually barber brushes. Otherwise, I have a group of 8 unknowns that are mostly in poor condition, 5 Simms (with the best one cracked in green, sigh), 3 Fuller, 4 Canadian Rubbset, 1 Culmak Jr, 1 Wilkinson.

The German-style painted ones in the unknown pile are super light. Since they are quite chipped, I am wondering what is under the paint. If wood, I could refinish them. Maybe even a stain.

Otherwise, I plan to pick a few I like and trade off the rest after I clean them up and take pics to add them to some of the Canadian info. I had really been hoping for something blue, green, Amber, and so forth...something a bit more unusual. Some of these are pretty neat though. I will be posting again in all likelihood as I get closer to sourcing knots. Some have dried epoxy I the middle threaded section so I will need to read up on removing that too.
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
A nice haul there. Lots of fun to be had playing with this lot. I have not restored many but I do have my grandfathers brush to restore at some stage. Quite a few of them look useable with just a good day in the spa.

Top Bottom