What's new

1st shot at the Dovo Shavette

Well its something i've been pondering for quite some time. Didn't want to financially jump into the straights, strops and hones without knowing if it was something i would like. I know a shavette (ugh i hate that name) isn't a burly straight however it uses similar principles.

I picked up a shavette and once home from work promptly snapped a derby in half (surprisingly easy, 1 bend in the wrapper... SNAP). Did the whole pre-shave routine, lathered up and nervously took the blade to my face. Thirty to forty minutes later I was smiling into the mirror. Having come from DE's the way you hold the razor is drastically different. Had to move my fingers and the razor around quite a bit to find a solid grip in different situations. I got used to it a lot faster than i had imagined i would be though. Had a bit of irritation on the first side of my neck that I shaved and a weeper in the corner of my mouth but overall not bad. AOS after shave balm took care of the neck, styptic on the weeper and I'm a happy camper.

I highly recommend trying this out if you've been interested. The biggest difference for me was that without the head of the DE in the way you can really focus on the area you're shaving.

The only bad thing i can say is that now I'm completely interested in straights instead of only half of me.

(I posted this in the newbie check in since i am a noob to this razor and thought it more appropriate)

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
A shavette is good, but... A straight is even better. If you enjoy the shavette, I strongly recommend to move on a straight. You can get a cheap one on BST + a strop.

Congrats on the first shave!

Top Bottom