What's new

1st Shave Blues.

Only been wet shaving a short time but since I've been using the same razor repeatedly I've noticed a trend. The 1st shave with any blade is a bit harsh/grabby. The've all been much better upon subsequent use. Can you more seasoned gents explain this and or share a method to alleviate it?

My regular blades are Kai for DE and Schick Prolines for SE. In both cases I cork the blade before first use.

I have used Nacets, bic, shark platinum and voskhod and they have been tuggy on the first shave. I tried a Treet durasharp yellow today and it was smooth and sharp from beginning to end. Don't know what kind of milage I will get from it. Wr will see.

A microscopic coating on DE blade doesn’t do anything to its edge sharpness or shave qualities. Blades are coated prior to the sharpening process in production.

A microscopic coating on DE blade doesn’t do anything to its edge sharpness or shave qualities. Blades are coated prior to the sharpening process in production.
The polymer coating is applied to the bevels after all grinding and honing processes. It is sprayed on and then baked on. The coating is not as delicate as some people seem to think. However some overhang of the polymer coating onto the edge is inevitable.
This is not to be confused with chrome, platinum or other such applications which are sputtered on prior to the polymer coating.

Most blade do get sharper after the first shave. With some blades, the difference is small. With a few blades, the difference is quite noticeable. I have a tough beard and hate the first shave with Wilkinson Sword Classic blades and Personna comfort coated lab blues as they are just too dull for my beard. After that first shave, they become significantly sharper and give better shaves. BIC Chrome Platinum blades start out sharp, but become super sharp.
For those who do not expect this change, the result can be bloody.

There are a few blades, however, that do not work that way. Feather Hi Stainless blades are super sharp out of the wrapper, but the edge rapidly deteriorates. By the third shave, they feel harsh on my face. Treat carbon blades and Shark Super Stainless blade start out rather dull and quickly become even worse.

The polymer coating is applied to the bevels after all grinding and honing processes. It is sprayed on and then baked on. The coating is not as delicate as some people seem to think. However some overhang of the polymer coating onto the edge is inevitable.
This is not to be confused with chrome, platinum or other such applications which are sputtered on prior to the polymer coating.
This!
The PTFE coating is applied to the edge after grinding and honing. At the end they bake it.

What Multum in parvo says is entirely correct. Can you tell us what razor and, more importantly, what blades you are using? Some blades are more susceptible to this than others.
I'm using "The Winning Razor." So far the blades have been Astra SP, Dorco, Wilkinson Sword India, Silver Star. Today I'm trying an Astra SS.

I have used Nacets, bic, shark platinum and voskhod and they have been tuggy on the first shave. I tried a Treet durasharp yellow today and it was smooth and sharp from beginning to end. Don't know what kind of milage I will get from it. Wr will see.
I hope you're able to post a follow up on the Treet Durashrp. Will interesting to hear if it provided more than 1 good shave.

Top Bottom