What's new

1940's Aristocrat razor . . .

I would like to own one of these razors and seem to have found one. I have a question for those of you out there who own or have owned an Aristocrat.

This one that I have found has a straight center bar. I have been told that the straight center bar produces a raspy shave compared to the smooth and comfortable shave of the notched bar version. What is the opinion of those who have used such a razor?

Any help you guys could provide would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not sure what you mean about the notched centre bar but I have a 30's Aristocrat with a straight, smooth centre bar and its the best all round razor I have ever used.

I had both versions and to be honest I didn't notice any difference in the way they shave. I like them more than the Super-Speed 1940's.

I have a 1947 (un-notched) and with a straight bar...with a mild blade like a Derby, its very nice... with a Feather - OUCH

I have a '47 (unnotched bar) and love it with a Gillette Platinum. It's become my "go to" razor. Usually, it gives me close-to-BBS shaves in one or two passes (occasionally, a one-pass BBS will pop out of it and WOW!).

Have not tried it with other blades and not really interested. Yet. :biggrin:

I've had both the notched and un-notched versions and the shave is about the same for me. I like the un-notched one better as it has a little more history to it and I like using those flare bits at the end of the bar and I think it holds the blade in a little tighter so it doesn't wobble there. Nice and tight with those flare bits at the end. Of course this could all be in my mind. I would love to get a hold of one of the older Aristocrats though, I'll have to post for a trade...

I think the notch/no-notch mystique may be overblown.

The only purpose of the notch that I'm aware of is to take advantage of loading the blades from the old Gillette "Speed-Pak" blade packs of the era. By sliding the blade partially out of the Speed-Pak loader with your thumb, and then hooking the perforation in the blade into the notch and pulling it free of the pack, you can quickly load a new blade without holding it in your fingers to manually line it up and drop it in.

None of the bulk-packaged blades I currently use comes in a "Speed-Pak" type package, though I admit it is a better idea. So the notch is no real use to me. Swedish Gillettes still use the Speed-Pak type packaging, as do the Wal-Mart/Walgreens/CVS/Dollar Store Gillette knock-offs.

Notch or no notch, the '40s and '50s Aristocrats are my favorite daily shavers. Great razors. I haven't noticed any difference in quality or performance between notched vs. no-notched Aristocrats and Super Speeds.

Top Bottom