What's new

132 Blades - Gillette Silver Blue - Excellent Disappointment

No, this is NOT a bad blade, right off, I'm talking about a blade that scored in the TOP 5, at least so far. So, why the title? Because the GSB came in with the 5th highest score when higher was definitely possible. I knew after shave 1 that it would not unseat the Nacent, indeed, any blade that doesn't give a BBS out of the wrapper has basically no chance of doing that. By shave #4 I was looking at a blade that I thought should rightfully claim the #2 spot and be hard to unseat in that position, but it came in with the 5th highest score at 8.35. Blood was a bit of a concern here and the total number of weepers was 16 over 7 shaves. Normally, this much blood would mean an earlier end to the test but this blade's weepers were unlike any others. What I got in most cases was a red speck on the white TP but a weeper that was invisible to the unaided eye. Still, the white TP test is there for a reason and the tally is what it is. I'm only going to post the running review for this one. For the test, it is tied for 5th place but when I look at only the first 4 shaves, it moves from a tie for 5th to 3rd place behind the Nacent and the Big Ben Super Stainless. For these top 3, the Nacent scored a 9.64, the Big Ben a 9.45 and the GSB scored 9.36. For the record, if I buy a tuck of these, I am certain the weeper problem will evaporate.

1700239666478.png

Was it one of the older Silver Blues with ink labelling on the blade? I had one where the wax dot was really close to the blade edge and had to scrape some of the wax away. Once that was cleaned up it was great shave for me!

In my experience weepers are user error, not a blade problem. All razor blades are very sharp after all.

I'd be curious to see how you rate all these blades after learning to shave without getting weepers all the time. I'd volunteer, lol, but 132 blades at three or four (maybe five) a year is gonna take a while.

The one and only GSB I've used lasted 121 two pass shaves.

In my experience weepers are user error, not a blade problem. All razor blades are very sharp after all.

I'd be curious to see how you rate all these blades after learning to shave without getting weepers all the time. I'd volunteer, lol, but 132 blades at three or four (maybe five) a year is gonna take a while.

The one and only GSB I've used lasted 121 two pass shaves.
I know how to shave and have had blades give me shaves from first to last with no blood, even more with 1-2 weepers in 6-7 shaves.

I only get weepers from too much pressure on a fresh blade, or when I slice off an annoying skin bump on my chin in an awkward place (the joys of getting older, eh?).

Blades do vary in width enough to give more or less exposure in a particular razor -- case in point, the Big Ben I just started using for travel this week is visibly wider than some of the other blades I'm using in my FatBoy, and sure enough I had to dial the setting down to reduce the exposure, it was peeling my face on the first stroke.

Once the PTFE wears off, the weeper problem goes away excpet for the skin bum; and I get good shaves for another 20, 30, or may 60 shaves on that edge.

On the other hand I don't notice any particular differences in blades other than width with the exception of Derby Extras, which pull badly for me right out of the box. Great shaves, just not comfortable, and they get worse. For nearly all the rest, they all feel the same, but some don't last as long as others.

Longevity is my key indicator of quality.

WOW!! I expected GSB to come in higher, for me it is simply an excellent blade!
It is no slouch at #5 on my list, the stainless GSB looks like it may end up where I thought this one would be. Still, you and I seem to have similar preferences and, based on your recommendation, I was expecting the same.

GSB for me was one of the worst blades ever - very, very tuggy. I have 3 thoughts on this: 1) Posts elsewhere say they changed and the old blades were much better. 2) Fakes. 3) Really, really old stock - whilst the coatings on the blades are meant to keep them sharp, I don't believe this is indefinite - if you see videos of people trying vintages blades, they are always like: Nope! Only a few manufacturers put production dates on their tucks, the ones I have that have dates are usually 2 to 3 years old. I don't see a thread on blade shelf life, I'd be really interested to know if its an extra dimension that we overlook in our reviews.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
This blade has never worked well for me, which seems strange given how popular it is. But it is what it is and there are lots of blades out there.

Top Bottom