What's new

Wilkinson Sword shaving soap (blue bowl)

Item Description

This soap is quite well known here in Montreal, and I've noticed that this blue-bowled version is becoming more and more popular. The scent is completely different from it's black-bowled counterpart, definitely more perfumy, but nice, and I think the lather is very decent, although not as slick and creamy as other soaps that I have. The overall shave, moisturization and skincare are good as well. Price-wise, 5.99$ is not a prohibitive sum of money for a 125 ml bowl. This soap's good enough to be part of my rotation

Jeff

Latest reviews

Pros: nice ,slick, good cushion.
Cons: none
Got it today and I am pleased with the smell ,lather and the shave . I have been looking at it for several years and I added it to a Amazon order to get free shipping!. So get it and try it but remember YMMV. Love it!

dfgfrgghhhjjkkiiugtfxdfgdrvrthhggngjhkhkujkhkmjjk!!
sent ggcfbfhnggnghhmnumjkjbbmkbmnmh!!lol
rfghybvfthhgyyhjvghjbyhjjujngyhmmkmmmmm
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Moisturising, fresh smell
Cons: Hard to lather
I picked this up (blue bowl) at my local chemist. They sell this and palmolive, so tried this soap.

Its a softer soap, not hard milled. The scent reminds me of Lynx / Axe Africa shower gel. Pleasant, fresh and clean.

I found it lathered poorly in my shaving mug. It was enough for two or maybe three passes but not a nice fluffy lather, thin and lifeless. I did one pass with this but not to great effect. It protected my skin but felt that one passover with the blade and it was all gone, where other products stay longer on the face before needing to be re applied. So for a second pass, I rubbed my brush on the soap for 5 turns and applied it directly to my face. This provided better results and was far slicker. I wasn't too impressed with it at this point but after the second pass and washing my face, my skin felt great. I have nasty hard water at home and my skin dries out fast after most soaps and creams but not with this. Just a dab of Palmers cocoa butter, my winter stable and I was good to go. I think with a little practice, this will be a good product for me. Handy dish too, however, I don't think the dish will survive much longer than the soap.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Price point: Its cheap!
Cons: Inferior lather, generic aquatic scent, poor lubrication/glide
I'm totally dumbfounded that this product has received such good reviews; especially by my fellow Canadians. Lets put it this way: It gets the job done. That is where all other comparisons should end. If you are used to high end shave creams from the likes of Taylor of Old Bond Street or Geo F. Trumper, then you will literally "feel" the disparity between the two realms. I ran out of my standard Taylor of Bond Street Sandalwood Creme and a freak snowstorm delayed delivery of my online replacement order. I only had a local WalMart near me and I chose this product over the legion of canned shave foams and gels. I was bitterly disappointed. Once open, the blue tub revealed a hard soap that smelled like a variety of Irish Spring bar soap. Yuck. I began my pre-shave as usual and lathered up with this stuff. It lathered readily and quickly but it was foamy and bubbled. From the first swathe, it was apparent (to me at least) that it did not lubricate to my liking. I had to take extra care in shaving with my Merkur DE and was appalled to find that this soap dried very quickly. So much, that I didn't feel any moisturizing effect whatsoever. I had to lather up the other side of my face each time when finished with the one I was working on. Incidentally, my wife also uses a Merkur DE to shave her pretty legs. She tried it and promptly tossed it into the dustbin, and shot me a dirty look in the process. For the discriminating, this product is an epic fail.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Lather
3.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)