What's new

VAn Der Hagen Delux Shave Soap

This soap is miles ahead of Williams and can be picked up at Wally World for about $1.50.

I've been pleasantly surprised with how well this stuff works. Not exactly D.R. Harris, but it will certainly get you by if you're short on cash or just trying to pick up something locally for convenience.

As has been eluded to before, the smell is very much like Grey Flannel. Light and inoffensive. I'm fond of melting it down (double-boiler method) and adding my own essential oils, though.

Doesn't generate enormous amounts of slick, shiny, rich lather like a good triple-milled, but it is not lacking at all. I have to load on the soap for a bit longer than others, but the results aren't disappointing.

Efficacy is definitely acceptable; smooth, close-cutting shave with sufficient slickness to boot. It's not as slick as a high-end soap or cream, but it's enough to make the shave comfortable and pain free.

Definitely worth the price and a try.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
I don't like Williams but I love this soap as well as its unscented, glycerin-based little brother. At Walmart they sell for nothing.

I've tried superlathering with each, finding it useless: VHD does well on its own.

Good tip I learned on the unscented glycerin: melt it and add in your favorite fragrance before it rehardens. Strong EDTs like Aramis and Opium are excellent choices.
Of the soaps I've tried (Colgate, Burma Shave, Williams, and all three of the VDH soaps), this is my favorite. I can get a good, slick, and luxuious lather with this soap that does the job quite well. It's not perfect, but excellent for the price and ready availability. The scent is pleasant, but weak and doesn't last.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
I've been using VDH for some time and am very impressed with it. I use the VDH boar brush with it and get terrific lather that works well. No problem getting a DFS every time.

Marked it down for scent. It would be nice if it were scented BUT that does not distract from the overall excellence of the soap.

I think everyone should try this product. It's inexpensive but does the job as well or better than some of the "high-end" products out there.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
The price of this soap is deceiving for the quality lather it provides.

This is the best lather I've had from the 6 or so soaps I've tried

The scent is more pure in the glycerin soap. The deluxe almost turns foul smelling after my third pass. Puzzling.

Once again, the lather is THE BEST I've tried so far. I do have to work a little extra to lather it though.

It does it's job well.

Only real downside to this soap for my skin is that it leaves it dry and tight. Even after aftershave, oil, and lotion my face can feel tight.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
For the money this is a fantastic buy. I bought mine at Walmart but found out not every store in this chain sells it.
Its true there is no sent but who cares. I just want it to do its job and it does.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
A good value that is available almost everywhere. It has a light, cologne like scent that disappears quickly. The soap is poured, not milled so it is consumed quicker but that fact is offset by its very low price. I find that it produces an excellent later when I use a stiffer boar brush. In addition the shave is very good. Not as moisturizing as a premium brand, but not that bad either. All in all a best buy.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
I'm not sold on VDH. I too like the price, the scent isn't bad (especially with a little touch-up courtesy of a friend), and is easy to get. My problem with it has been the thinness of lather compared to other soaps and creams. I'll keep it on standby, but I wouldn't call it a 'must have'.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Lather
2.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
The deluxe is a little different than the VDH glycerin version. Longs Drugs has this for less than $2 and it lathers up in no time with a boar brush. Leaves my face nice and soft. After a few passes it does loose some of it's moisture so you may want to add just a bit of water on your final pass.

There isn't really a sent to it so I left that at zero.

I melt this in the microwave for 15 seconds into whatever container I'm using. For travel, I melted one side of a travel soap dish with deluxe and the other with glycerin.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
I am using this soap this week. I, too, think it is great for the price. It gives decent performance, but I am not exactly bowled over by it. The lather seems a bit thin. Maybe I'll get better with it as the week goes on.

Tim
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Have used Mama Bears, Honeybee, Williams and several high end soaps over the years and I believe that I found a real bargain in Van Der Hagen Deluxe. Purchased at WalMart for $1.54 a puck - how can you beat the price! Using a badger brush really improves the amount and quality of the lather, in fact, it lathers much better than some of the high end english soaps. Great lubricity resulting in a very close shave. Really an impressive product:001_rolle
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
This is probably the best buy in shaving soaps. Not only do I use I use it by itself, but I mix it with other, more expensive soaps - especially other glycerin soaps. Just melt the pucks together in a ramekin in the microwave.

You can also mix it with non-glycerin soaps by grating it and mixing it with other grated soaps. Press together with a warm water and glycerin mixture into a soap dish or ramekin.

Great on its own-- or a great way to stretch other soaps!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
This was included with a bowl and brush that shedded its hair immediately. The soap was easy to lather up however it set my face on fire. I immediately rinsed it off my face and put on some barbasol beard buster which worked much better without the fire.
Well I have been using D.R. Harris Marlborough cream consistently for the better part of the month now and absolutely love it and always have since I purchased it nearly a year ago. It's remarkable, but this morning I looked down and remembered I had an old puck of VDH that I haven't used in 6th months or more. I decided this morning to go for it and switch up the brush too. With my C&E Best and the old puck I proceeded to whip up some of the most beautiful, luxurious, slick lather that would have challenged the Harris. This inexpensive soap just found its place back in the rotation. I can't remember why I stopped using it but who cares at this point. If tomorrow ushers in the same results my $37 Marlborough will enjoy a nice holiday in order to save the most. Great job VDH Deluxe!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
I absolutely think this soap is a steal. No internet shipping charges just pop down to a Walgreens and pick up a puck or two. They don't last an amazing amount of time, about five or six weeks of daily shaving. It's pretty cheap and works quite well. I usually use an old boar brush that has mellowed with age and lather directly on my face. It feels great to scrub your whole face this way then rinse and lather the part that gets shaved. The smell is soapy and pleasing, the lather is slick and it rinses clean without a lot of residue. I have used a badger brush with this and it works faster, but I honestly like the feel of a well broken in boar brush.
Paid 75 cents on clearance, would have paid $2 otherwise, still would get full marks for price. Lather is easy to form, with boar (good to great) or badger (consistently great) brush. Usable water:soap ratio is wide. Lather is slick, but not as slick as Tabac. Scent is innocuous: a little powdery (?) but light, scent is not its strong suit. Slightly moisturizing for me , I can go either way with aftershave balm. You don't need to use shaving cream to augment this soap, it stands well on its own. One versatile and highly effective shaving soap.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
I have to add that this is my soap of choice. The lather is so easy to bring about and the mild scent make it a perfect companion when going for a superlather, allowing the cream to take main stage in the scent category. Another great thing about the Deluxe is that it is a Glycerin soap and can be easily melted into an Old Spice mug. It's gotta be the best for the bucks.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
This is currently my soap of choice. It is cheap, readily available, and gets the job done.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
I Use the VDH Glycerin soap. I love the smell. It gives me a super comfortable shave. I have a DE razor that I am very attached to and this soap dosen't gonk it up and leaves it clean. I am 60 years hold and I need a soap that is hypoallergenic and this soap is great for your skin. Great price. Readily available at many stores. :lol:

=Pablo;176633]I had seen this brand, but never tried it. So why not. It lathered alot better than William's but it does not leave the face as soft as William's. The price is a little bit more thatn William's price, but the size of the soap is larger, though it seemed to go faster. It took a little while longer than William's to lather, but when you finished, the lather was much better. I loved the feel of a new cake in the my hand. Inexpensive. Found almost at any drugstore in the states. The box is green and has a VHD seal, but says "deluxe shave soap" with Aloe Vera & Shea Butter for Dry Skin - Heavy Beard." I did not think the mosturizing was all that great. The company is out of Texas: www.vdhent.com and it seems they also make those cheap boar hari shave brushes you see at Walgreen and CVS. But looking at their website, it looks like they also sell badger hair brushes.[/QUOTE]
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
This was the second soap I ever tried. The first was a much more expensive Caswell Massey product that I was highly disappointed with. I was very impressed with the VDH's lather and the shave it gave me. Definately a bargain.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)