What's new

Valobra Almond Shave Cream

Item Description

I have always been a lover of almond scented shave creams, so when I saw this Valobra on the Barbieria Italiana site, I had to try it. It comes in a paper box. Inside, there is a rectangle of "goop" wrapped in wax paper. The shave cream is the consistency of putty. You pull off an almond size piece, place it in your shaving bowl, and create lather.

First of all, the Valobra has the best almond scent, IMHO, of any cream on the market (I think I have tried all of them). It makes a wonderful lather with great blade lubricating properties. Once I figured out the best way to use it, I have decided that this is my favorite shave cream.

Suggestions for use:

I transfered the Valobra to an empty shave cream tub with a screw top from another brand.

It takes a little bit of work to get the plug of Valobra to lather in a bowl, due to how firm it is. I found the best method is to fill your lather bowl with hot water and soak your brush and the plug of Valobra at the same time for a couple of minutes. Then remove the brush and shake once, and drain the water out but leave the plug in the bowl. Then begin to make your lather.

Valobra is unconventional and took a little getting use to. But once I figured it out, it has become, hands down, my favorite shave cream.

I only down-rated it for packaging (I actually love the old school packaging) and latherability.

Roger

Latest reviews

Pros: Easy to Lather, Pleasant Mild Almond Scent, Very Good Cushion and Glide
My first time with this Italian cream and I am quite pleased with the result. I have tried other versions of Italian Croaps (which I sort of lump into the cream category) and have generally been pleased with them all. Valobra fits nicely into this group and seems to be overlooked a little. I have been using it daily for the past two weeks, it packed nicely into an open bowl that I leave open on the counter, every morning a splash of water and a damp brush is all I need to create a very nice shaving lather that provides all the glide and cushion that I like.

I have seen no ill effects leaving it open on the counter but if I wasn't using it daily I would be inclined to put a cover of some sort on it for any length of time.

Valobra and the other Italian products in this category are definitely worth the look.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
I really tried to like this cream, I really did, however it does have points which are just a miss.......

Presentation is one such aspect, but I didn't count this as a negative, and I refrain from even commenting.

The scrent is so-so, middle of the road. The almond scent is too sugar almond for my taste, and comes off a bit artificial in my opinion.

It lathers very well, actually it explodes into clouds of white; however it lacks in lubricity. While this product is good for the 1st, and 2nd pass, its shortcoming become more apparent during the final pass and touch ups.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
I bought my sample from an Italian importer. I just squeezed the whole package into a shave bowl. It dried down a bit and use was like any shave bowl-rinse the brush and bowl, lather away, shaving in moments. Smooth, pleasant scent, long lasting (both the amount and the lather). One of my favorites. As an Italian import it is not the cheapest, but better value than many trend brands with clever names.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)