What's new

Thayers Witch Hazel After Shave

Item Description

I thought it was about time for someone to write a review for this product since I see a number of us listing it in our SOTD posts.

Ingredients: Natural Witch Hazel Extract and Fragrance, Aloe Vera, Purified Water and Natural Grain Alcohol (50%+ as a preservative). I'm just guessing on the alcohol content as the 20% listed on Thayers website is incorrect since this aftershave is flammable.

Price: The retail for this is only $6 and most web pharmacies sell it for around $4. That's pretty good considering you get a 4oz bottle.

Quality: Very good. The ingredients are all natural which is one of the reasons I like Thayers products.

Fights Razor Burn: Kills the burn instantly. Enough said.

Cooling Sensation: The bottle says "extra cool" but I find I really don't get a "frozen face" feel even when I really dump this on. But it is still a pleasant fresh feeling.

Scent: Thayers says it is scented with natural witch hazel fragrance. I'm not really sure what witch hazel smells like but I do like this scent. It is entirely inoffensive and only last for a few minutes anyway.

Efficacy: It does what it's supposed to. It reduces shaving irritations and leaves the skin feeling soft. The high alcohol content gives it good antiseptic properties. In addition I also like how this aftershave does not leave my face feeling sticky. No residue whatsoever.

Moisturizing: For all its alcohol content I find that it is really not too drying. The aloe vera might be the reason for this.

No Alcohol Burn: Once again if it didn't ignite I wouldn't even know this stuff was mostly alcohol. It really does not burn at all unless you have some considerable razor burn. And if that is the case you have more to worry about than your choice of aftershave.

Also of note is that I have used this splash in an atomizer and also the traditional way and have found both methods to provide the same excellent results. Some might be interested to know that this aftershave does not foam up when sprayed though an atomizer nozzle the way some splashes do. I'm almost on my second bottle of this stuff and I'd say it has definitely become part of my shaving routine.

Latest reviews

Pros: Price, non-alcohol
Thayers is a solid WH that is made from distilled witch hazel as opposed to the alcohol-laced extracts found in your average supermarket/pharmacy. I bought my from a local natural foods store here in Utah. I keep a old pomade puck filled with cotton pads soaked in Thayers that I apply to my face while I police up after my shave. My facial redness has been reduced dramatically since I started using this.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
Pros: doesn't burn; doesn't smell like perfume
Cons: availabiliity
:thumbup1:Like all of the Thayer's products I've tried so far. My favorite is the "LEMON" scented!
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Pros: not too drying, closes the pores nicely and feels good.
Cons: 20% alcohol
I use it directly after shaving but let the alcohol cook off first before I put it on my face. I then follow up with a balm (D.R. Harris milk) or lotion (Nivea). For the money it does a good job, no razor burn, closes the pores without stinging. I don't find the scent particularly endearing, but it is fairly mild and doesn't last long. I also have a bottle of Gold Dachs and use the same procedure. It seems to offer may be a little more moisturizing, but at $ 25.00 it costs more than 4 times as much.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)