What's new

Tabac Shave Soap

This soap is perfect. It is beautifully packaged, smells great and latherability is out of this world. It even has good moisturizing ability and doesn't leave your face dry. The only little drawback is the price. Here in Sweden a bowl of this soap (125g) costs 19 Euro.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
This is a very very good soap. Yes, it is expensive, but it wil last a very long time. The amount of later it creates is out of this world. The only downside to me is the scent of this soap. I am 22 years old and I think a lot of people from my generation wouldn't exactly like the sent of this soap but than again, it performs like a dream. Everyone should try this once at least.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
When I started wetshaving I watched youtube videos and read the widespread praise of Proraso cream. I dutifully purchased some Proraso and learned to lather in a bowl, because I thought that's what you do.

Tabac changed my shaving world. I still like Proraso, but because of this terrific soap I am now mainly a soap/face lathering shaver. I feel more in control of the lathering process, and I get warm lather on subsequent passes by adding a bit of warm water to the brush.

The scent is often discussed. To me it jibes perfectly with wetshaving; it smells like 'old school shaving'.

Not much else can be said that hasn't already been said. I love this soap, and would recommend it as a first soap as it was for me.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
I tried for the first time my hand at lathering with a shaving soap; I used Tabac shaving soap, AOS Fusion Chrome Collection Shaving Brush (Pure Badger Hair), Merkur HD razor w/Merkur blade.

First, the price of the soap in a nice heavy ceramic container, is well within anyone's budget.

The quality of the whole presentation is very nice; nice packaging, heavy ceramic container and the soap itself smells old-timey and barbershop...I like it a lot! :thumbup1:

As stated before, the scent is very old-timey and barbershop...nice! :biggrin:

As mentioned prior, this was my first time, so I don't think I got the mixture/ratio of water and soap just right for me, but it did lather rather quickly albeit a little soupy, however, it worked just fine. :blush: I did have to add a little more lather at the beginning of the shave and towards the end.

Efficacy, my razor skiped once or twice, but surprisingly, I did not get any cuts, nicks or weepies...Yeah! :w00t:

The moisturizing and lubrication properties were ok; the soap worked just fine during the shave except for a little skipping mentioned earlier, but after the shave my face felt smooth but normally dry...not really moisturized or lubricated, I got a good shave but for sensitive guys, you might want to put on an aftershave balm afterwards. :tongue_sm

When all is said and done, I probably would buy this product again and keep it in my rotation. :wink:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
Price 5/10 - At $20+ it is up there in price. This is important, because for that much money the market opens up. I gave it a 5 because it seems to be priced competitively with other 'luxury' brands. The price is average.

Quality 8/10 - Tabac has a great 'face feel'. The soap puck comes in a ceramic bowl. All in all a nice product, but I have found flaws with it.

Scent 4/10 - This was the low point for me. It smelled like an old man does. I really hoped I was strange for not liking the scent, but my girlfriend doesn't like it either.

Lather 9/10 - It lathers very nicely. I still find myself in awe at how thick it gets.

Efficacy 9/10 - Despite the fact that it smells like an old mans sports jacket before a hot date it works well.

Moisturizing 9/10 - A shining point of Tabac soap. Extremely moisturizing.

To sum it up - I am not surprised that this soap has been so well received. I can't, however, figure out why it has gotten high marks for scent. It works great, smells bad.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Like a couple of others here, I really wanted to like this but just can't seem to!

Lather is no doubt fantastic, rich and creamy, at least to start.

However, while it looks and feels nice, doesn't seem to have much lubrication, at least for me. I find the razor skips. It also dries fairly fast, losing its effectiveness. Hmmmm. Of course, this could be my lathering technique/water ratio...

Scent is... rather odd. I'm rather indifferent to it, smells a bit fusty to me.

Recently using Feather blades with this and had trouble getting BBS shaves, and for some odd reason, kept missing bits around my mouth.

Have also tried Feathers with MWF - superb shaves - probably my best yet. Shame about the (lack of) scent in Woolfat.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
I know I'm going against the tide on this one but this soap just doesn't do anything for me. I really wanted to like it because of the great price and nice, heavy bowl but I don't like it.

I've tried to use this a half dozen times and I just can't get decent lather from this. It seems thick and rich but once on my face for a while it evaporates and it isn't very slick for me either. If I have this on for softening up the beard pre-shave, I go to massage it into my skin and the stuff just disappears into thin air. I don't know if I got an off batch or what.

I love traditional scents but I don't care for the scent of this either.

I mostly use creams, I haven't tried alot of soaps but I will be going back to my standby Art of Shaving Lavender soap.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Lather
2.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
Price: I paid $9.78 sans shipping for a 4.4 ounce refill. Pretty good considering it's reputed to last such a long time. This is my first puck, but I'll take the others' words for it about how long it lasts.

Quality: A German export, 'nuff said. An all around well put together product.

Scent: In my firstedition of my review, I gave scent an 8. This is my second time using it, and I give it a 9 now. Smells rather good, the scent grew on me quickly.

Lather: Nothing to complain at all. Nice and thick, holds well, lasting.

Effectiveness: Effectiveness is the be all to end all, the bottom line for me, and this stuff performs up to it's reputation, bar none. Leaves absolutely no stubble behind, lets you get them all, like a Daisy Cutter for your face that leaves no whisker standing.

Moisturizing: My previous shave soaps, Pirate's Cove Lime and PC Coconut, both glycerin based, seem to moisturize better than the tallow based Tabac. But yet again, I've always shaved with the PC soaps in the shower, and have yet to do so with the Tabac. Will revise results after the eval in the shower.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Got my bowl of tabac just the other day from online source, and it smelled pretty good!

But the water here must be kinda bad, because the lather is terrible with this soap. I think I compared it to mixing flour and water and throwing that on my face to shave with. The lather was dry, and when I added enough water to make it wet, the stuff was flying off all over the place like suds in a bubble bath - real light stuff. Plus, it makes my skin burn and itch. Must be the water...

But the quality of the product was superb! Very hefty and lots of substance.

For those who it works for, this must be a great product!
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
1.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
0.00 star(s)
This soap has already received raving reviews, so I will keep this short. I just received a puck a few days ago and shaved with it for the first time this morning. I have to say that I'm really, really impressed. Getting good lather from this stuff is absolutely brainless, and it seems like a puck with last a really long time. It leaves your skin feeling nice and soft, and my shave was absolutely irritation free.

The only qualms I have with the soap is the scent...it isn't really bad, but I think it is one of those things that will have to grow on you. Everything else about it is top notch, and it has earned a permanent spot in my rotation!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
I had my first Tabac shave this morning. Very nice lather. Easy to whip up. The scent isn't as overpowering as I thought it would be. My skin is sensitive to fragrance so I was concerned, but I have no problems with Tabac. No irritation at all. Got a great shave. Good bang for your buck with this one!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Just shaved with this after its been sitting here for almost a week. It was awesome. I think it could be better than the creams Ive been using (musgo, proraso red). Going ATG was smooth, even smoother than the creams I mentioned. Not a single nick or irritation either. And thats after using a DE yesterday that left my face kind of razor burned and abrased (used an M3 today). Put on a tiny bit of Musgo balsam and my moisturizer and am good to go. I havent tried alot of soaps, only this and a classicshaving brand and let me tell you, the CS brand DOES NOT compare at all.

As for the scent, it is half soapy, half smokey. I like it. Old world smell, masculine.
This is a great soap and I love it. It performs just as it should and gives a great shave. I bought the soap in the dish and also the shaving stick,if I was you I would buy both.I regularly use the shaving stick in the shower with a fog free mirror and shave in the shower. An amazing shave,great smell, and the stuff lasts for ages,if it doesnt last me two years I will be amazed.

Regards
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
I tried Tabac for the first time last night and Oh Mama what a Lather it creates - I'd give it an 11 if I could! It is absolutely the thickest creamest lather I've experienced, better than any other soap or cream I've tried. Usually it takes a bit of practice to get the right water ratio with a soap, but I got my best lather ever on the first try! The scent was pleasant and soapy, not overpowering at all. Looking forward to all my future shaves with Tabac!
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
D
No doubt this is a great shaving soap. It lathers beautifully with a little work and provides good protection while shaving. It leaves my skin feeling fresh and not irritated. I have very sensitive skin and this soap protects against razor burn and irritation. The mild scent is just beautiful. There is just something about the wonderful scent of Tabac that adds to the pleasure of using their products. I find the price to be a little bit too high but it certainly is worth it for a great shave. I use it in rotation with other great shaving soaps. The shaving bowl works quite well, though, I find it is always better in a shaving cup to allow more room to work at the lather. All in all, however, I am very satisfied with this A+ product.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
I like this soap and finally getting my hands on it was worth the wait!

The latherability of this soap is excellent. I need fewer swishes of my brush with it compared to other soaps to get a good lather. All aspects of this product ( from packaging to the soap itself) ooze quality.
Although it moisturises well, some cheaper soaps that I have do a better job. The scent is unique and definitely old school and I can see it definitely growing on me.
Apart from the availability here in Australia, these IMO are the only 2 tinks in its armour.

Recommend this stuff!
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
I personally do not like the box or packaging that the soap come in. I think it looks a little cheap and from the 80's. the ceramic bowl is pretty hefty and the puck of soap you get is big and should last a VERY long time. The scent is nice. i am not crazy about it, but i like it. it does lather very well and mositurizes fine. all in all a good soap and one that should be purchased and used.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
I had a strange experience with this soap. When I first pulled the foil off the soap, I positively hated the scent. It was not only powdery, but it had a kind of stale base note. I felt the same way for the first two or three times that I used the soap. Then, after a while, I started to like it. I don't know if the scent mellows over time or if I just got used to it. Now I love it because it is thick, slick, and compared to other soaps of this quality, very reasonably priced.
Finally got my hands on a puck of Tabac thanks to the generosity of RM71 who sent me the soap and the bowl as a gift, all the way over from Perth. Mate, you're a champ.

This lives up to the hype and then some. I've tried the three Ts, MWF, Provence Sante, all exceptionally high quality soaps. Tabac just edges them out slightly. As for the scent, well, I had concerns. I honestly wasn't expecting to like it. But I do. Yes, it's old world. But it's a lovely, manly scent, and just seems like it's right at the heart of this whole wet-shaving experience. The ceramic bowl adds a really classy touch.

The local importer of Tabac products doesn't stock the soap, which is a shame and I intend to at least try to persuade them.

Thanks again RM71

Cheers

Jeremy
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
Barbarosa;495214 said:
Tabac is a very good soap, I really enjoy the scent. That being said, I think this soap is a little overhyped. Yes, it is good, but I have seen better.

I totally agree. You will get a good shave from this stuff; however I think it's over priced. My opinion regarding the sent is not 100% positive. This is in part due to my girl friend who thinks it's smells "like old people". She has always expressed this opinion when ever i lather up my brush with this stuff. It kind of reminds me of the "guest soap" my mom kept for decoration, but, the smell does not linger. It's usually unnoticeable after a few hours. I find it pleasant after about an hour. Bottom line Tobac is worth trying. If you find it in a store for $8.00 U.S., buy it.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)