What's new

Tabac Shave Soap

Okay, so I realize that I am swimming against the stream on this, but I got it yesterday afternoon, shaved with it once, repackaged it, and it was already back in the mail this morning to trade for a tub of QED Violetta - it was in my possession less than 24 hours.

The shave was okay. I got a good lather, no better than I have had with other soaps that I love (QED, C&E Sienna, Honeybee). But the smell was horrible. It smelled like bug spray to me. I opened it up and disliked it from the start, but hoped that it would mellow once I whipped up a lather. No such luck. It reminded me of old ladies in a house filled with mothballs, kind of sickly sweet.

Where this does shine is in price and quality. For $15, you get a large puck in a nice ceramic bowl with a lid. If you like the scent, this could be a great soap, one of the best values for a triple milled. For almost the same price, though, I think I'll go pick up the C&E Sienna in the wood bowl.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Lather
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
There's not much to say that hasn't already been said....this is a nice soap with good lathering capability. I love the scent, although it could be a tad weaker. Sometimes it's just a bit too strong first thing in the morning.

All in all, a great soap -- I'll keep a puck or so in my shaving inventory.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
This is the best shave soap you can get, You really have to try this...the results are nothing short of perfect and the shave you get is very close, and lubes well...I love this stuff
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
Like the others, I can't really add any more to what has been said. I bought my tub from QED. The scent is quite unique. At first I wasn't sure but after a couple of weeks, I am really digging it. Plus it seems to last. I'll get home from work and SWMBO will notice :biggrin:

The lather on this stuff is awesome, and it seems like this one tub will last quite a while. The jar it comes in is nice and sturdy so it looks like refill pucks from now on.

spiffy
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
D
I got my Tabac bowl yesterday. It is my second soap after a no name puck that did not provide nowhere as lush lather as Tabac. So I am no expert on soaps. I can safely say that from now on I am a soap latherer and leave my shaving gel to rest.

I got it from Shavemac and it was brought to my work address here in Finland by Fedex. The total cost was 30 $ (16$ + 14$ deliverance costs). I think that is not at all costly considering that this is a hard soap and lasts a long time. It took some time to get since I ordered it on Christmas holidays and arrived on 10th of Jan.

Lathered it on my face straight and got a nice shave.
My first soap was more oily and quite hard to rinse it off between passes while Tabac is more like my gel or Proraso green in that it is not at all messy but still felt it had a good protection and slickness.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
I love this soap. The packaging is first rate and so is the product.
The tobacco, woodsy, faint musky smell are extremely pleasant and I practically smell the jar every time I go into the bathroom...tmi...the lather
is great, being somewhat new to the art of brush and soap I'm quickly get a
feel for it...it's definitely thick and creamy, 4-5 passes no problem. I just purchased a C&E BBB for $35. and it works great, the stiffer bristles than my
Savile Row 3124 (which I love) pure luxury.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
As a first time user of Tabac - and a new wetshaver, I cannot compare it to other soaps out there (besides canned goo).

However, I have seldom been so impressed with a protect - be it a soap, a pair of shoes, etc - as I am with the Tabac shaving soap.

It lathers REALLY well, and very easy even for a newb like myself.

It smells incredible; very clean and masculine, and it is a very classy scent too. No cheap drugstore floozy scent here.

It's just all around a great product.

If you're new to the whole wetshaving thing, Tabac is a great way to get off to a wonderful start. It makes for a perfect 1st wetshave experience in my opinion.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
Yes, it's as good as they said. I got the shave stick sent to me by a friend in Germany, it's great stuff. 100g of it, and being a tallow soap I suspect that this will last for some time...
Lather is lovely and rich, lifts and softens the bristles excellently (partly I suspect because it is a stick- I find these work best for lifting and softening the stubble). Slick as any soap I've used, it's as good as Trumpers. The scent is growing on me since my first encounter with the aftershave.
Does not dry out on your face, allows a really close shave, this is good stuff. I would point out though that this is not the most moisturising soap I've used, others such as Trumpers and Palmolive perform better in this respect. This aside, I can't fault it.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
This has got to be the best value for a soap out there. The initial investment is a mere pittance compared to how long this stuff will last, even from repeated torture from a newbie's hand.

First off, yes the price of refills went up. Who cares? They're still only about $10. Ten bucks hardly buys a better shaving product. From QED, the glass jar along with it is only $15, totally worth it in my opinion. It is very handsome and sturdy. Value-wise, I can not think of any better. Not Williams, not any of the cheaper glycerin soaps, nothing.

What hasn't already been said about the quality of the product itself? I'm quite a fan of triple-milled soaps and have experience with many, and honestly this is one of the best all-around performers of them all. However, I have not tried any Muhle-Pinsel, D.R. Harris and a couple others yet. Not only does this soap whip up superfluous amounts of lather, it's some of the highest quality lather I've ever had the pleasure of shaving with. It's rich, extremely slick, protective, close-cutting, and a bit moisturizing as well.

The Scent. Well, that's a subjective one. Personally, I love the smell of Tabac and love using the soap, aftershave and cologne. Hell, I even have the deodorant. However, I can totally understand this one as a love it or hate it scent. It's not for everyone. It's very old-world, and to me is classy and clean.

I don't think that it gets much better than Tabac on either side of the spectrum, soaps or creams. And surely, it is one of the best shaving values out there and a must-have for a soap user.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
This is a hard milled soap. When you open the container, the strong masculine scent tells you this is no kids stuff. I agree with most of what the others say above.

Lathers great in just about any water. I like the scent so that is a plus.

I do find that it isn't as moisturizing to my face as a glycerin soap. Since I usually use a after shave balm, it isn't really that big of a deal to me.

The white glass bowl is nice, but save your self some shelf space and get the refill.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Although I had read many positive reviews about this soap, it took a year and a half before I pulled the trigger. man, am I an idiot! If you do not own this soap and you are wondering which will I buy next,this is it. get it with the bowl.

here's how good this soap is-I really do not care for the scent, but I will use it at least once a week to shave with. The scent is not offensive-more towards the soapy side(which it is,duh!).:tongue:

However,its good qualities are numerous and well worth the smell and the price. If you can get it cheap do so,if you have to pay full price do so-either way you cannot go wrong unless you wait 18 months before buying it too!:out:

Marty
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
Love the Tabac. Great scent. Great lather. Great price. Just can't stop comparing it to my CE Sienna soap, though, which is a wee bit better for me.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Tabac makes a very good soap. it lathers with ease and the results with the shave are as top notch. If there is one thing I did not like was the scent. I can live with it due to the superior performance of the soap.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
One of my favorites. A great value for a triple-milled soap. I think so highly of it that I just gave a bowl to my friend as a gift.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
The soap's scent is indeed much better than the EdT's. If you want a Tabac cologne that is similar to the soap, you should get the EdC with the blue stripe on the bottle (the stuff in Joel's review). It's slightly more floral than the soap but definately not as chemical sweet as the dreaded EdT.

Or, you could just splash on some Tabac AS instead of cologne or Edt. The AS smells best IMHO: leathery, tabacco-ish and least floral of the three. Staying power is very good.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Next to the Golddachs, Tabac is THE other super soap. Only marginally behind the GD regarding its softening abilities, the copious, dense lather is superbly moist and lubricious; I'd rate the moisturizing and lubricating qualities of the Tabac even higher than those of the GD. Extremely soothing and nurturing lather; not the least hint of skin irritation or burn, no matter how long it stays on the skin. As others told, the perfume grows on you. I avoided the Tabac soap for much too long, because I really detest the smell of the EdT; now, I regret every single day I didn't shave with this great soap. I found that I got accustomed quickly to the smell of the soap which is much less intensive than the -for me- pungent sweet smell of the EdT which gives me a headache; I made the mistake once to test the EdT on my wrist and regretted it for hours afterwards, despite multiple hand washings. I find the much more decent lingering smell of the soap to go very well with any after shave product, unscented or perfumed; by now I even came to like the smell of the soap, maybe just because of the superior shaving qualities - talk about brain conditioning. :wink:
Tabac is my go to reference soap for testing new blades as well as my "save my day" soap whenever I overdid it with some other products.
Just Great! :thumbup:
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
Creamy lather, doesn't dry out quick, and slick razor glide. Those are my main criteria and this one gets an "A". I was leery of a soap that smells like cologne rather than soapy, and being a nonsmoker who despises the stench of cigarettes I was very leery of a smell called "Tabac", but I was pleasantly relieved. Got the cologne too, a huge 300ml bottle, and use them together. Very very nice. Also this soap was soft enough for me to trim and mash into my own jar, since I refuse to pay extra for theirs.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
I was a bit sceptical about the hype surrounding this soap as your expectations are nearly always unrealistic - wrong!
This product is simply superb and so easy to obtain a rich creamy lather.
In the U.K. Tabac has a very 'old man/downmarket' image but I
just can't stop sniffing the stuff!So much so that I just had to purchase the ASB and EDC to compliment it!
To top it all I even managed to find a tube of the shave cream as well.
I appreciate that not everybody will love the scent but you will still get a great shave from a great product that in the U.K. is an absolute bargain.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
:thumbup1: This is my top soap! It is everything everyone has said before and much, much more! There is little to add just that if you don't have it in your rotation you are seriously missing out.

That all said, I still wouldn't like to use Tabac exclusively as you could really sicken yourself of it and with such a great product like this, that would never do!:frown2:
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
I really love this soap too. Compared to english soaps it' really cheap here in Germany. The scent is very delightful. The ease of lathering and shaving is really outstanding.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)