What's new

Speick Balm

Item Description

I bought a decant of Speick Balm a couple of months ago. Initially, I was unimpressed - it does not moisturize to an extraordinary degree (QED wins in this depertment IMO) and the scent is rather harsh, earthy with a slight sour acidty to it. Not unlike the wormwood topnotes in Eau de Quinine but no powdery sweetness to slake it.

Speick has slowly won me over, partly for being what it is - unpretentious, straightforward, natural ingredients and effective as a mild aftershave. I reach for it more and more frequently. There is no alcohol and no menthol, so the balm sooths rather than cools. The scent stays around for a while and can compliment some colognes well (vetiver scents for example), it can also clash with citrus.

This is a fairly inexpensive, quality product with its own uncontrived style. Well worth the money.

Latest reviews

I believe the Speick balm has both alcohol & menthol in it.
Since I love the scent of Speick shaving cream, I was disappointed to find that the balm doesn't smell anything like the cream, and not only that, but the smell of the balm is one of the least pleasant that I have yet encountered. I would describe the smell and earthy and very powdery (as in talc powder). The smell also lingers for a while, so it's not something one can ignore.
When it comes to efficacy, it definitely leaves the skin feeling great. Just make sure not to use too much, because otherwise it will not absorb properly, and will leave a greasy film on the skin.
Smells are very individual things, but because of the smell I will not be buying this again.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I don't know. I love Speick A/S splash, it's one of my favourites. And I just tried the shave cream and also think it is one of the best I've tried. However, after buying a bottle of the balm, I am not sure I like it. It smells a lot different than the splash and I find it leaves my face slightly tacky. But I'll keep at it for a little while longer. I like that it's all natural and it's very good quality. I'm just not sure it's for me yet. Maybe it'll grow on me.

Item information

Added by
blantyre
Views
Reviews
Last update

More in Aftershaves (Reviews)

More from blantyre

Top Bottom