What's new

SCS New Spice

Item Description

This is my first attempt at writing a review of a cologne, but I like this one that much, that I hope I can do it justice. I love the SCS New Spice family of products. I have the shave soap, a bottle of the aftershave milk (a limited thing I won in an email contest!), and now the cologne. My shave den will never be without these products (so you all need to support Sue, so she will never go out of business). Okay, here is the run down:

Price - $13.50 for 3.3 oz. Are you kidding me? When you experience the quality of this product, you will be scratching your head wondering what the catch is. How can she sell amazing stuff for less than those cheap imitation things you find in drug stores?

Quality - Can't be beat. I'm more impressed with this than most other colognes I have spent at least 3X as much for.

Packaging - Nothing too fancy, but it is a nice glass bottle. I got it for Christmas, and when I pulled it out of the box, my brother-in-law commented on how he thought it was a cool looking bottle.

Scent - I don't know how best to describe it. The only note that I can definitely say is there is caramel, which Sue describes on the website. However, I recently smelled a bottle of Giorgio Armani Attitude, and it seemed, to me, a dead ringer minus the caramel note (which is the high point for me). So if you have smelled that, you'll have a good idea - one review I found said that Attitude had top notes of coffee and lemon, heart notes of cardamom and lavender, and base notes of cedar, patchouli, and vanilla, creating a "coffee-amber" base note aroma. I don't know how close that is to what Sue has put into New Spice, but to my nose, as I said, Attitude smells like New Spice, just without the caramel, which is present from beginning to end.

Complexity - I would refer you to the scent comments.

Staying power - This stays strong all day long. I put it on before work, and can still smell it when I return home. And that is with only a single spray. My 3.3 oz. is going to last a very long time.

Quality of atomizer - the only knock I will give is this - the atomizer delivers too much. The first time I used it, I gave just one good spray, and it nearly knocked my wife over in the next room. I usually have to try for just half a spray, which isn't that easy with the atomizer.

Excellent product, as I'm finding is the case with most of Sue's products. Now I just need to convince her to make the aftershave milk part of her regularly stocked items. :thumbup1:

Latest reviews

This scent has been in my rotation for a few years. I have bought colognes 20X the price of this juice and find it in good standing with my more expensive colognes.

I have bought this juice for girlfriends because the liked it. It can wear unisex. I like it very much especially in cooler weather. Well done Sue.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Complexity
5.00 star(s)
Staying Power
5.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
4.00 star(s)
I just can't help but love New Spice. I have found very good quality in all of SCS products but this their signature EDT is a real pleaser. It has a very complex scent that lasts all day long. It is my everyday EDT. I would highly recommend it.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Complexity
5.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
4.00 star(s)
D
I find this product more than reasonably priced for a non-garbage cologne. It doesn't take much, it's not absolutely horrible smelling, it's well balanced, and it's priced like cheap department store crap.

At any rate, as with all of Sue's stuff, I find the Quality/Price ratio very high; you get what you pay for here, and $10 for 2 ounces is good money even if you think it's "cheap" for cologne. This stuff costs like $14 for 1.7oz and that's still pretty cheap; it's not $14 being thrown down on crap that makes you gag, it's a good product. The bottle lasts quite a while if used properly.

I'd rather not comment DIRECTLY on quality because this isn't a favorite scent of mine. It's a favorite of many and a good scent; it has faults to my nose. It IS a quality product.

The packaging is pretty bland, but functional. A very nice, hard piece of glass; the atomizer is attached well; the cap slides on snug and seals rather than snapping on, which is interesting. It's not an expensive, complex, oddly shaped bottle; and bonus, it doesn't take up huge amounts of cabinet space for no reason.

The scent... this I find questionable. Vanillas and sweet caramel directly to the front; the spices are subdued under this. It's a pleasant scent, but I'm a fan of Bay Rum and would like a New Spice that carries this characteristic but propels some spices through more strongly. It's been a while since I've worn it and my palate is more discerning now; I will update this description when I examine the mids and base notes and the finish more with my discerning nose.

Complexity I will get back to; my unreformed palate can pick out vanilla and sweet caramel (I'm not sure how that scent gets in there), but I couldn't divide the rest out the last time. I'll check it out later and re-evaluate.

For me, quality of the atomizer is a big thing; this one's not junk, but I have trouble with atomizers in general.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
1.00 star(s)
Staying Power
1.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
1.00 star(s)

Item information

Added by
Dr. Mike
Views
Reviews
Last update

More in Fragrance (Reviews)

• Woodhue for Men
    Woodhue for Men is a masculine fragrance by Fabergé. The scent was...
  • Bulgari Pour Homme Soir
    Bulgari Pour Homme Soir by Bulgari is a Woody Floral Musk fragrance for...
  • Obsession for Men
    A fresh citrus explosion at the top notes (tangerine, grapefruit, lime...
  • Body Kouros
    Body Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent is a Oriental Spicy fragrance for...
  • Paco Rabanne
    Paco Rabanne by Paco Rabanne is a Aromatic Fougere fragrance for men...

More from Dr. Mike

Top Bottom