What's new

SCS New Spice

This scent has been in my rotation for a few years. I have bought colognes 20X the price of this juice and find it in good standing with my more expensive colognes.

I have bought this juice for girlfriends because the liked it. It can wear unisex. I like it very much especially in cooler weather. Well done Sue.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Complexity
5.00 star(s)
Staying Power
5.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
4.00 star(s)
I just can't help but love New Spice. I have found very good quality in all of SCS products but this their signature EDT is a real pleaser. It has a very complex scent that lasts all day long. It is my everyday EDT. I would highly recommend it.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Complexity
5.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
4.00 star(s)
D
I find this product more than reasonably priced for a non-garbage cologne. It doesn't take much, it's not absolutely horrible smelling, it's well balanced, and it's priced like cheap department store crap.

At any rate, as with all of Sue's stuff, I find the Quality/Price ratio very high; you get what you pay for here, and $10 for 2 ounces is good money even if you think it's "cheap" for cologne. This stuff costs like $14 for 1.7oz and that's still pretty cheap; it's not $14 being thrown down on crap that makes you gag, it's a good product. The bottle lasts quite a while if used properly.

I'd rather not comment DIRECTLY on quality because this isn't a favorite scent of mine. It's a favorite of many and a good scent; it has faults to my nose. It IS a quality product.

The packaging is pretty bland, but functional. A very nice, hard piece of glass; the atomizer is attached well; the cap slides on snug and seals rather than snapping on, which is interesting. It's not an expensive, complex, oddly shaped bottle; and bonus, it doesn't take up huge amounts of cabinet space for no reason.

The scent... this I find questionable. Vanillas and sweet caramel directly to the front; the spices are subdued under this. It's a pleasant scent, but I'm a fan of Bay Rum and would like a New Spice that carries this characteristic but propels some spices through more strongly. It's been a while since I've worn it and my palate is more discerning now; I will update this description when I examine the mids and base notes and the finish more with my discerning nose.

Complexity I will get back to; my unreformed palate can pick out vanilla and sweet caramel (I'm not sure how that scent gets in there), but I couldn't divide the rest out the last time. I'll check it out later and re-evaluate.

For me, quality of the atomizer is a big thing; this one's not junk, but I have trouble with atomizers in general.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
1.00 star(s)
Staying Power
1.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
1.00 star(s)
D
As mentioned in a previous review, this is almost an exact smell-alike to A*MEN (Angel Men) By Thierry Mugler. I already have that so I won't be ordering a full size bottle and I'm glad I just got the sample. It is one of my favorites but it is not going to be for everyone. It is very strong too. But don't get it if you already have Angel in you arsenal. This would be good if you want a copy for less money.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
1.00 star(s)
Just got the shave soap, and if the cologne smells anything like the soap, it's a dead ringer for Mugler's Angel Men.

For me this is a good thing as I love A*men - anyone care to do a comparison between the two?
Not a man of letters, but I like New Spice by SCS. This stuff smells good. It's REALLY strong. So strong that 9 hours later I can walk into a room and some lady will immediately notice.... and notice positively.
I like to wear something different most days. As mentioned, New Spice is fine for the office. It's also great for a weekend getaway.
No one is going to complain if you drown yourself in this stuff. It really does smell that nice.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Complexity
3.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
3.00 star(s)
Being over 40, and content to be so, even happy being so, I find this to be for a much younger man. It is for someone 30 or younger, on the prowl, in the game with the gals, and with a lot of self confidence, as this is not a weak or mild fragrance. I like it, but as with so many new things out there today, it is almost childish and I couldn't do it. I am into vetivers, sandalwoods and a more grown up style. Not over the hill, just not one of the "guys". Make mine two sprays of Villoresi Uomo, and a Plymouth gin martini, not the ubiquitous vodka.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Complexity
2.00 star(s)
Staying Power
5.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
5.00 star(s)
I recently purchased the New Spice as well as the Smoke and Beads EdTs which arrived yesterday afternoon. Sue also packed in samples of her other EdTs as well as some lip balm. Nice touch which really helps compensate for the shipping charges which seem to be relatively high compared to the low price of the scents -- but still reasonable at about $5 per bottle. Today is the New Spice experience.
Immediately noticeable was the plastic atomizer (does not look as sturdy as the metal one on eth S&B bottle). As others have mentioned, it does shoot out a stream of the product with no atomization (I think that is a word) at all. The fragrance seems to be largely oil-based -- which is readily absorbed into the skin -- and since it is thicker, it may not be realistic to expect a spray. I thought the bottles themselves were fine -- not too foo-foo looking, not too utilitarian. I generally prefer clean, light scents such as Speick or the greens such as English Fern. However, this scent is very pleasing -- warm, with a strong somewhat sweet accord of caramel and lighter accents (to my nose) of coconut, and sandalwood. It might benefit from something that lends a bit of a spicey or peppery edge -- my nose does not appreciate the "spice" aspect. It is reminescent of the Angel for Men but without all the chocolate and coffee accords. As others have mentioned, it is suitable for the office, which I greatly appreciate. And I also like the idea of a hand-made product -- two entrepreneurs in mid-America cranking out pleasing quality products that are unique.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
3.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
2.00 star(s)
I find this to be a very nice fragrance. It is not a very complex cologne, but that is where the brilliance comes in. Who says a fragrance has to smell like ten different things to be good? Its simplicity is refreshing.

The price is good for what it is. I was just a month too late in getting it though. (it is now double the price it used to be:frown:)

The packaging is okay........ I find the bottle to be an odd shape.

This stuff really excells in its staying power. Two blasts from the atomizer provided lasts me most of the day.

Overall, it is a winner!!
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Complexity
2.00 star(s)
Staying Power
5.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
3.00 star(s)
I've been using this quite a bit lately. I like it a lot. But it isn't a sophisticated smell -- it's a bit candy-like. That isn't a bad thing, but it certainly isn't a dress-up and go out-on-the-town scent. It IS however a great everyday at work scent.
I haven't noticed that the pump delivers too much product, I usually use at least 2-3 pumps on my chest -- which is very strong at first but dissipates within a few minutes as I'm getting dressed, leaving a noticeable, but not strong scent for the majority of the day. I like the look of the bottle, but it is not a high-end designer look -- but of course that keeps the cost down, which is far more important.

I've also noticed that it pairs very well with Ogallala Bay Rum aftershave.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Complexity
3.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
2.00 star(s)
Whew.....way to sweet for me. Reminds me of something I'd smell at the county fair...like cotton candy and artificial vanilla.

I give it a 5 for quality because I have no idea how to rate quality for a product that is most likely well made (based on the love here for SCS products), but that caused me to immediately take a shower after applying.

Packaging is a 3 because while the bottle is nicely shaped the stick on label is cheap and homemade looking and the bottle came wrapped in bubble wrap (or corrugated cardboard?)....no box.

Complexity is a 1 because there was, for me, only one overriding scent to this stuff and it was nauseating and very simplistic.

I had my wife check my math and she asked me to please wash it off immediately.

So......a dissenter amongst the fans of SCS New Spice.

As a qualifier.....I am not a fan of modern Man-Scents preferring the simple, classics of a good aftershave splash like Old Spice, Pinaud and Speick.

And obviously...I should stick with those tried and true manly splashes.:wink:

YMMV.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Complexity
0.00 star(s)
Staying Power
3.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
3.00 star(s)
This stuff has definitely grown on me. The first day I tried it I used about a half spray to the lower neck (exposed skin) and a little dab on the wrists. WoW really strong scent followed me around all day and I was actually worried I might offend some folks if I stood too close. Today I tried one full spray blast on the middle of my chest and it's really working right for me now. Being covered up seems to be doing the trick but it's still pushing through but in a very good way. I'm actually pulling patchouli undertones wearing it this way. Think this will become my Friday "dress down” scent at work as I think this really fits me for an unexpected change but not for everyday. Of course YMMV. //rick//
In light of the reviews here, for the price, I had to order this. I was wary of the atomizer and shot onto a cotton ball. Good thing, too, as it shot out a stream instead of a spray. That one shot on the cotton ball, though, lasted the entire workday.

Scent-wise, I'm torn. I tend toward woody/green scents and decided to take a stab at expanding my horizons. On one hand, to me New Spice smells like a very sweet incense stick -- I'm guessing that'd be the amber and caramel -- which I'm not overly impressed with. On the other, I received two compliments on it at work.

Edit to add: I wore this a second time tonight (I work nights) and love it! I don't know what's changed, but tonight I get virtually none of the sweet incense impression I got a few nights ago.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Complexity
3.00 star(s)
Staying Power
5.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
2.00 star(s)
A lot of people on this board seem to have caught the "New Spice Fever." So, last week, I ordered myself a bottle. I'm afraid I'm infected as well. I went to a coffee shop this morning to read a paper and I received three different comments/questions about what I was wearing.

There isn't much I can say that hasn't already been said in the reviews, but here are a few thoughts.

First, this stuff smells really really nice. I would hesitate to wear it when I'm dressing up as it has a sort of "candy" smell to it...probably the caramel. However, for day to day use it is a winner.

Second, the bottle is great. It is very distinctive, solid, and looks great on my countertop.

Third, be very very very careful when spraying this stuff on yourself. The atomizer delivers a WHOLE lot of product and you can easily ruin your day (and others as well) if you get overzealous with the pump. One spray on my chest is all I use, and I can smell the stuff throughout the day as well as when I wake up the next morning.

If you're thinking about trying it, stop thinking...just order a bottle. It is cheap and, if you don't like it, it will sell easily in the marketplace.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Complexity
5.00 star(s)
Staying Power
5.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
2.00 star(s)
just got it, great for the price, i didnt heed the warnings and gave myself a healthy blast, people could smell me coming a block away, but after a few hours it settled down.

definetly fruity and a bit of carmel i think.

good deal, worth a try
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
3.00 star(s)
Staying Power
5.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
3.00 star(s)
This is one of those products that I have to be careful when I wear it. Seriously! :lol: For whatever reason women love this on me. It does last a long time and the scent doesn't seem to change that much. Highly recommended.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
5.00 star(s)
Staying Power
5.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
4.00 star(s)
I found it a bit strong and feminine. It is a bit over-the-top and reminiscent of a fluezy for me.

Considering the excellent price and actual quality of the SCS products, it is definitely worth a try, IMHO.

As always, YMMV.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
3.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
3.00 star(s)
Amazing cologne!! I first got it as a sample and was unsure of it as it didn't smell like anything I usually wore, but the more I smelled it they more I loved it. It doesn't hurt that 80% of the time I wear it someone compliments me on it. Great stuff.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
5.00 star(s)
Staying Power
5.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
5.00 star(s)
This is my first attempt at writing a review of a cologne, but I like this one that much, that I hope I can do it justice. I love the SCS New Spice family of products. I have the shave soap, a bottle of the aftershave milk (a limited thing I won in an email contest!), and now the cologne. My shave den will never be without these products (so you all need to support Sue, so she will never go out of business). Okay, here is the run down:

Price - $13.50 for 3.3 oz. Are you kidding me? When you experience the quality of this product, you will be scratching your head wondering what the catch is. How can she sell amazing stuff for less than those cheap imitation things you find in drug stores?

Quality - Can't be beat. I'm more impressed with this than most other colognes I have spent at least 3X as much for.

Packaging - Nothing too fancy, but it is a nice glass bottle. I got it for Christmas, and when I pulled it out of the box, my brother-in-law commented on how he thought it was a cool looking bottle.

Scent - I don't know how best to describe it. The only note that I can definitely say is there is caramel, which Sue describes on the website. However, I recently smelled a bottle of Giorgio Armani Attitude, and it seemed, to me, a dead ringer minus the caramel note (which is the high point for me). So if you have smelled that, you'll have a good idea - one review I found said that Attitude had top notes of coffee and lemon, heart notes of cardamom and lavender, and base notes of cedar, patchouli, and vanilla, creating a "coffee-amber" base note aroma. I don't know how close that is to what Sue has put into New Spice, but to my nose, as I said, Attitude smells like New Spice, just without the caramel, which is present from beginning to end.

Complexity - I would refer you to the scent comments.

Staying power - This stays strong all day long. I put it on before work, and can still smell it when I return home. And that is with only a single spray. My 3.3 oz. is going to last a very long time.

Quality of atomizer - the only knock I will give is this - the atomizer delivers too much. The first time I used it, I gave just one good spray, and it nearly knocked my wife over in the next room. I usually have to try for just half a spray, which isn't that easy with the atomizer.

Excellent product, as I'm finding is the case with most of Sue's products. Now I just need to convince her to make the aftershave milk part of her regularly stocked items. :thumbup1:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
5.00 star(s)