What's new

Schwarzweisskeramik LK-Scuttle with classic four-finger handle

Item Description

First of all, let me state that I was in no way endorsed by Schwarzweisskeramik to write this review. I paid this scuttle with my own money. For convenience's sake, I will refer to this scuttle as the B/W ceramics large scuttle and to the company Schwarzweisskeramik as B/W ceramics.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Price: at 86$ + shipping (64 euro + 17 euro p&p to Belgium), this scuttle may not come cheap, but that is soon forgotten once you hold this beauty in your hands. This is a handmade product from a European country (where social security contributions and taxes rank among the highest in the world) and albeit a low tech product, craftsmanship still has its price. I had no problem whatsoever paying 86$ for this product. If you are careful, this is a once in a lifetime cost.

proxy.php

Quality: I couldn't find any flaws in the product, the finish is neat and classy. The handle is solid and thick at the base (it won't come off). The dry weight of this scuttle is an impressive 1,1 kgs and breaks the 1,5 kgs barrier with its double wall filled up (brush and lather not included). The B/W scuttle is clearly not for the faint-hearted! It handles well, however, thanks to the large and comfortable four-finger grip. It sits on the sink like a solid rock, there's no need to hold it to keep it from spinning around.

proxy.php

Performance: It's important to let the scuttle warm up well before you start making your lather. It is my experience that constant temperature is essential to making good lather. Let it soak for two/three minutes in a sink filled with hot (tap)water (never boiling, the scuttle may crack from the shock). Remove it from the sink and fill it up again with hot water. Start making lather. The B/W ceramics site provides clear instructions on the use of this scuttle (in german and english). The brush used in the pictures is a Shavemac #177 with a 23 mm knot (a densely packed brush). The inner diameter of the scuttle allows for plenty of swirl. The brush handle does hit the scuttle wall though, so I'm not sure what the effect of this white on black action will be after a couple of months... There is plenty of room left for a XXL-brush (28 mm knot).

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Usefulness: YMMV of course, but this item ranked top on my wishlist. I believe it's crucial to making good lather and feel right about your shave.

proxy.php

Durability: It would be bad taste to state that this scuttle will last you a thousand years :wink: , so I will make it thousand and one. I wouldn't drop it, though...

Packaging: The pictures speak for themselves, really...

proxy.php

proxy.php

Conclusion: lather heaven with a handle. Pros: size, finish, quality Cons: size, weight

Please discuss this review here.

If you can bench press 200lb and eat raw steak for breakfast this is the scuttle for you. Forget those namby pamby petite Scuttles, this is the Panzer of the Scuttle world.
It's built like a tank and if you drop it into the sink the sink is going to lose.
You fill it up by pouring hot water into the smaller bowl which in turn fills up the jacket of the scuttle. The Scuttle works well and keeps your lather nice and warm for the whole shave. Afterwards you can use it as a hot tub (time permitting).
The nice thing about this scuttle is that it is eco friendly. Admittedly you need enough hot water to keep a Bedouin tribe hydrated for a week but you will have enough lather for the whole street.
This Scuttle is also part of my weight training regime.
Teutonic craftsmanship at its finest....not for the faint hearted.

proxy.php

Latest reviews

Wonderful review and pictures. It will last 1000 years, no, 1001, I understood that one;) Thank you for the excellent review:)

After reading everything regarding scuttles available on a couple of forums, including the best one, B&B, I decided to order the XL Black and White version of this scuttle. So now the waiting game begins, sigh... Will use my beautiful, but not very warm GP until this beauty arrives.
I purchased a Black L-Scuttle from Schwarzweisskeramik about a year ago and have loved it. The scuttle arived in sturdy packaging from Germany and is beautifully hand crafted. I have no doubt that with propper care it will easily last for at least a couple generations. It is made of ceramic, thick cermaic but ceramic nonetheless so it is not to be manhandled but I've bumped it in my sink and against my faucet a couple times and it has yet to show any wear.

The price is a bit steep but that is mostly caused by the shipping charge to get such a heavy item to the states in one peice.

As for the usefullness, it is my favorite item in my shaving collection. It holds heat very well throughout my shave and is able to easily accomdate my 22mm brush. I can't imagine purchasing a different scuttle. I love the black glaze.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Durability
5.00 star(s)
Usefulness
5.00 star(s)
Performance
5.00 star(s)
Ordered from Mama Bear on Wednesday and arrived yesterday very well packed and fast.
This is the large scuttle as in the previous review but in white the only choice I had but which pleased Ms Confilo because it goes with the bathroom colors.
This is huge and heavy it even looks like another of the stuff you expect to find in bathrooms along the sink and commode.
It is pricey but considering quality if it is not dropped ; it will be found by future archaelogist who will debate what is it for
It holds about 14 oz of water keeping a hot lather for a very leisure 4 passes Sunday shave plus a reservoir to pick water with your brush as needed.
As most scuttles you warm it in the sink, then I fill with very hot to boiling water and this tank of a scuttle will not dissapoint you in keeping the whiskers soft and warm.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Durability
5.00 star(s)
Usefulness
5.00 star(s)
Performance
5.00 star(s)