What's new

Schick Hydro 5.

Item Description

I purchased this razor a week and a half ago, and i am using this one only since then.
Having tried before the Quattro, i can say the Hydro is a big step up.
The design of the razor is great, and i think better looking than the Gillette ProGlide that will come out this summer.
The grip is good, this razor won't fall of your hand for sure.
The price is quite good, around 9$ for the razor plus 2 cartridges.
But the best point of that razor is the way it shaves, it's so easy to shave whit it a kid of 12 years old could use it.
The lubricating strips are a great improvement and they are far superior to any lubricating strip on the market right now, even those on the Fusion.
Im on my 9th shave whit the same cartridge and i can still feel some lubrication, something that will never happen whit any other razor available right now.
I would qualify the razor as a not too aggressive one,
it does take the same amount of pass to get BBS as whit a DE, i would even say , multi pass is necessary to get a BBS.
But even if you multi pass , there will be zero irritation at all whit the Hydro, even on the neck , a very sensitive area for me, and most of us.
In fact when i bought the razor i had a little problem of ingrown hairs on the neck and razor burn, but 3 days of shave whit the Hydro completly got rid of it.
There is also a trimmer on the 5 blades version of the Hydro, witch is a great thing for the sideburns and under the nose.
It's a flip to open trimmer, you just need to flip the top of the cartridge and it expose the trimmer.
On overall i highly recommend this razor to anyone,
specially those whit sensitive skin.
In fact if i was a dermatologist i would pray by it.

Latest reviews

Pros: best cartridge shave, good balance, good grip, smooth while the gel lasts
Cons: The gel drys out quickly, the razor drags once the gel is dry, it is still a cartridge shave
I needed to pick up a razor for a trip, I like Schick products so I picked this up.

I was intrigued by the hydro comfort gel and liked it for about 3 minutes until it started to dry out and cause the razor to drag after my 3rd pass. I ran some hot water over to try and get it back to normal but no cigar.

I finished the shave and I was pleased with the results, very little stubble left and very close to BBS. Then I noticed I had major razor burn on my neck from the crappy passes and the enjoyment withered from there.
The razor itself is well built and the grip is great, the balance was a little top heavy but it was not bad.
The shave itself was the best I have gotten from a cartridge until the gel dried out and then it just became annoying like every other cartridge.
all in all not a bad cartridge, just make sure you replace the heads and shave quick if you want the gel to last.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Ease of use
Cons: Price of cartridges (big surprise there, right?), and cheap ugly looks if you happen to have conservative taste
It sure is easy to get a respectable shave with this thing. I do one pass against the grain which gives me a shave that 99.999% as close as my Parker 71R with Astra blades. To do another pass is a waste, as the Schick goes as close as it can with one pass, and pressing any harder is not recommended. I actually do repeated strokes with feather-light pressure whether I use a DE or cartridge, so that partially explains why I can shave with just one pass.

I really, REALLY hate that slimy snot strip. Even folding it back isn't enough, because then you lose the swivel capability which is part of the charm of some cartridges. When you rip off the snot strip, you regain the swivel capability only now, you're not covering your face in that disgusting slimy s**t. Why do manufacturers keep putting these things on? Aren't creams, soaps and gels supposed to lubricate? The Neutrogena cream I use provides plenty of lube and cushion, so there's no need for me to any kind of slime strip.

If a major manufacturer ever decides to make a lube-free multi-blade cartridge at a price just a few cents higher compared to a double-edge, I'd probably switch to the cartridge. But as it stands, I just can't stomach the extortionist prices. The Schick Hydro 5 is good, but it's not THAT good.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
2.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
5.00 star(s)
I bought this last week. I have wet shaved most of my shaving life, and a great majority of it has been with cart's. I grew up with Gillette razors, and have stayed almost exclusive with Gillette as far as cartridge shavers go. I have a very thick and coarse beard, and have to shave daily for my job(Gooo Navy!). I go back and forth between DE and Cartrides, depending on my schedule. My DE is a Progress with either Feather Blades or Red Personna Blades. Seeing the rave reviews, and hearing my buddy comment about the reviews, I decided to buy and try a Hydro 5.

I gave the price an 8, mostly because you can shave far cheaper (after initial buy in) with a DE on a daily basis. As far as carts go, you can find cheaper but the quality pushes this up!

I gave the quality an 8, due to the cartridge itself. The handle is not unlike other packaged shavers, and it will get the job done. The flip open side burn trimmer is a nice and different approach. The cartridge is what truley shines here. DFS with great comfort to boot!

The 10's are self explainatory.

I gave the aggressivness a 7, becuase I do get a closer shave with a Fusion, but certainly not as comfortable.

I gave the balance a 9, because there is not a packaged razor out there that feels as good or balanced as a good old DE!

Hands down, this is the most comfortable cartridge shaver I have used. The lubricant used is the slickest stuff on earth. If you are looking for a DFS and a cartridge shaver, this should be where you spend your money.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)